Roofy's Sunflower progress thread. - Page 6 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Roofy's Sunflower progress thread.
Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:34 AM
As previously stated, its been a long time since my updates. But I have been making progress. For those that haven't read my fuel pump upgrade thread in Performance forum, you can go here.

Long story short, my Racetronix fuel pump crapped out at the track, sorather than replace with the same thing, I decided to upgrade. I installed the new Aeromotive 400 LPH fuel pump and have more than enough fuel for anything I could throw at the car.

I just picked up an AEM fuel pressure gauge for my 3 pillar pod. I now have a full compliment of matching aftermarket gauges in the sunflower.

Also I picked up a pair of brand new sport racing seats. These aren't the cheap eBay specials, I got them at Summit Racing, and they're a private label Scat seat. They're a durable vinyl style and VERY comfortable and wider than the usual "racing" seats.

I also fabricated some brackets and was able to use the factory seat sliders. These fit really well and look great in the car.

I will be installing the AEM fuel gauge this week and hopefully going to the drag strip to lay down some new personal best times.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:22 AM
Looks great man. I sat in those seats at summit. They are sweet.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:16 AM
Do they squeak when you move around

Modding my j since I found the org
Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:58 AM
No squeaks at all. I might be modifying the brackets a bit to lower the seats just a bit. Will decide after driving just a bit more.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:40 AM
Nice to see what can be done when tuning is right...

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:49 AM
YES!!! Someone find me a good tuner !!!!!

Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:02 AM
Those look a lot like my Yonakas....

How do they recline? Lever or the twist knob?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:21 AM
Going off topic here. After reading through this and seeing your car with the new rims I had no clue you lived in NEO. I saw your car at Superfly a few weeks ago. Much approved Mike. Keep it up.
Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:10 PM
He doesn't live in NEO, unless he moved lol

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:11 PM
interior fuel pressure gauge... hmm... that i like.

*adds one more to the list

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Friday, August 16, 2013 10:53 AM
Roofy wrote:YES!!! Someone find me a good tuner !!!!!

you and me both...

Friday, August 16, 2013 8:19 PM
I have those same seats from Summit (only tan), and they are awesome! I ended up modifying the stock seat brackets too. Dropped them about an inch.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, August 16, 2013 10:34 PM
Yup Summit Racing seats. Fit and quality is excellent. As a side note, my car is running super rich. Low 10's AFR's under boost. I'm either gonna lower my base pressure a bit or crank the boost up.

Went to the track today, first shake down run ran a 13 flat. Later on that night....... F**K ME!!!! My shifter cable snapped!!! Literally spent all damn day working on the car getting ready for the track. Drove there, swapped wheels and it broke after 45 minutes of fun.

I was able to drive it home, albeit with 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear only. The worst part is I just priced new cables. $130 for the set!!!!! FML..... I ordered 2 sets just to be safe.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:35 AM
My choice when getting cables are pick n pulls. Plenty of them and they last me. Why spend 130 when I can spend 15 and be good for more hard driving
Friday, August 30, 2013 5:25 AM
Well my new cables are in. The car shifts better than it has in a LONG time. I can now powershift like I used to. I assumed it was due to the power I was making while under boost putting my drive train on just enough of a bind to make power shifting difficult. NOPE! That can be blamed on worn out stretched and sticky cables! These should last for quite a while, and I bought a second new set for future needs since these cables are hard to come by new anymore.

Also, I have a retune tentatively scheduled for next week. Fingers crossed for over 400 horsepower to the wheels!

Also, for a little side project I have going on, EBay coil over sleeves are ordered!

And what is this thing setting in my garage???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 30, 2013 5:34 AM

Friday, August 30, 2013 7:22 AM
Roofy wrote:And what is this thing setting in my garage???

sweeeeeet! a refrigerator full of cold beer!!!!!

and on a side note...that's smart with the cables. ive noticed that too but going with a newer engine platform, Im hoping more parts will be available for me a little longer down the road at least.
good luck on the retune! I cant wait to finally see what a proper tune will do for my car!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, August 30, 2013 10:17 AM
Ugh I need new cables on my daily - good thing Darren gave me a pair. How much of a b$(@# is it to change them?

Any idea what you are gunning for AFR wise while under boost? I like to run my S/C's a little bit leaner at low RPM's personally.. 12.2:1 - then ramping to 11.8:1 at around peak torque and holding it. Makes for a nice HP/Torque curve and is still quite safe.

At 10:1 your catalytic converter must be crying itself to a slow death.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, August 30, 2013 2:30 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Ugh I need new cables on my daily - good thing Darren gave me a pair. How much of a b$(@# is it to change them?

Any idea what you are gunning for AFR wise while under boost? I like to run my S/C's a little bit leaner at low RPM's personally.. 12.2:1 - then ramping to 11.8:1 at around peak torque and holding it. Makes for a nice HP/Torque curve and is still quite safe.

-Chris-

Those cables are for a 95-99 Chris, not a 2000+.

Friday, August 30, 2013 2:39 PM
Not the easiest thing ever. Gotta fish the cables through one at a time because the ends are so big. And the rubber plug/bushing that goes into the firewall hole makes that a bit difficult.

SweetnessGT wrote:Ugh I need new cables on my daily - good thing Darren gave me a pair. How much of a b$(@# is it to change them?

-Chris-

I'm gonna go for whatever AFR's my tuner thinks is best. I'm assuming mid high 11's or so.

And what's a catalytic converter?!?!?!

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 3:12 AM
Mike, I'll get that cover shipped out this week man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 5:41 AM
You better! I'm furious!!!!! Not really in a hurry. This build is gonna take some time. Lol

Saturday, October 05, 2013 11:13 PM
Well I went for tuning a couple weeks ago and had waste gate problems. Was not able to see over 16PSI of boost. I guess my waste gate spring was too weak and actually started opening up around 14PSI with no reference to it whatsoever. And my AFR's were even richer than I thought. Was lowest of 8.4:1 before he leaned out the fuel. The only tuning he was able to do besides my AFR's was tweaking around with timing at 16psi. Was at 310/323 at 16# before, and 340ish/360ish after. I have since fixed the waste gate and am at a consistent 19psi right now.

Having some clutch issues as of right now. My ACT hybrid was starting to go, not due to power levels but was just wore out!!! For the amount of abuse and mileage i have had on this hybrid setup i am more than satisfied with my results and in retrospect I should have gone with this setup again, but I ordered a full staged setup of a certain brand and have had nothing but issues. I won't go too far into detail until it is all resolved, but as of right now I probably won't be able to get to the track again before the end of the year. If I had it all to do again I would have just did another hybrid setup and been done with it.

But since I have everything apart for the second time in a week, I decided to clean up and modify/upgrade a few things. New grease boots on my ball joints installed, cleaning and repainting of suspension and K frame pieces, I am also in the midst of a wire and hose tuck, and rerouting a few things.

My super secret suspension setup for drag racing was installed but due to the clutch issues, wasn't able to be tested out yet. I will provide more details on that once I get some track passes in.
Attachments
IMG_20131005_225600_199.jpg (1060k)
IMG_20130928_201612_733.jpg (752k)

Sunday, October 06, 2013 6:36 AM
Sweet suspension setup! So the act setup uses an ld9 friction disk but eco pressure plate correct? I think I'll eventually go with that as well I think.

Sounds like you're getting it closer to being completely dialed in. What were your AFRs like with the higher psi?

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:24 AM
Yes i used an ACT LD9 disc part # 6224222. Along with a factory replacement Exedy pressure plate. Quite a few people have had success with this setup I found. As far as AFR's, its mid 11's around 18.5 psi.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 10:37 AM
That disk was worn out.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search