Quest for the 12's.....All-Motor. - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Quest for the 12's.....All-Motor.
Monday, February 07, 2011 12:44 PM
Hello All,

It is a slow day so I figured I would start my build thread for 2011 and let everyone in on what I've been planing for this coming season.

Since everyone else has cool names for their motors, I present the "LEJ" Build:

LE5 Bottom End
LSJ Head - Race Ported by Mike @ AMMFAB
Si +1mm Valves
Comp Stage 2 NA Grind Cams
Supertech 78lb Valve Spring Kit
Golden Eagle Head Studs
89mm Head Gasket
LZM Balance Shaft Delete
GMR Oil Pump Gears
LE5 Intake Manifold
Stock 2.2TB Bored to 62.5mm
4-1 Long Tube Header with Stepped Primarys - Built by Mike @ AMMFAB
Summit Racing 3" Cut-Out
QTP 3" Electric Cut-Out Plate

This should put the motor around ~11.3:1 compression, gonna run it on 91 pump.

I built this motor in desktop dyno and it should make in the neighbourhood of ~255bhp, so about ~215whp.

Hoping to run a 12.9x with this set-up, only time will tell tho.

More goodies for this year:

22/9.0-13 M&H Drag Slicks
Bogart 13x8 Aluminum Race Wheels
N2MB WOT/2-step Box
MOAR Weight Reduction

Most of the parts I already have or have been ordered/paid for, still waiting on most to show up unfortunately, so pics are few and far between.

Picking up my LE5 this coming weekend, so I'll have pictures once that shows up. Hopefully Mike @ AMMFAB gets me my header/head soon so I can at least get the motor put together.

I think most have seen pics of the header, so I won't bother posting those, but here are some of the bits I do have/can take pics of:

Bogart Fly Star 13x8's (Need a good buff, but they only weigh 7lbs each )

N2MB WOT/2-Step Box

Still need to order my head gasket and my new drag slicks and perhaps a clutch, then we should be good to go.

Thanks for looking! (Sorry again about the lack of pictures!)

Re: Quest for the 12's.....All-Motor.
Monday, February 07, 2011 12:48 PM
looks good. what clutch you looking at? might want to look into something launching with that 2 step. but let me know how that 2 step works. i was going to go msd, but all the stuff is getting discontinued and i want to run a 2 step.

Monday, February 07, 2011 12:50 PM
You suck sir, more pics are needed lol... I hope you do it man (even though I ran in the low 13's turboed... Ass ) good luck with everything and keep us updated

Monday, February 07, 2011 12:54 PM
might want to talk to Ben Wenzel, he made some serious runs at running 12's. See where his power/weight numbers were at. He smelled it but couldn't quite get there.

Monday, February 07, 2011 1:09 PM
I might just go with a clutchnet.com 4 puck, or even just a stock replacement. I launch at 6000rpm now on my stock clutch and it grabs like a champ. I don't need a fancy clutch cause the car doesn't make enought power to really warrent it.

As for the 2-step, I just want it for rpm launch consistancy off the line, this is my braket car afterall and its annoying to have to listen for your rpms and focus on the tree at the same time.

Here is a vid tho of the same unit but on a stang.

I've spoken with him in the past many times, he was really close to the 12's last year but needed a bit more power, I think he only put down 20xwhp. He is also an auto now as well....I'm fairly confident that with +210whp I can break into the 12's....mind you it might not be possible, but then again everyone said 169whp would never get me into the 13's, so who knows.

I'll get more pics up asap once parts arrive!

Monday, February 07, 2011 1:36 PM
Very nice good luck man.

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

I <3 JGM

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Monday, February 07, 2011 1:39 PM
Good luck man. The build will be lots of fun regardless.
Monday, February 07, 2011 1:54 PM
How does this LE5/LSJ thing work?

Monday, February 07, 2011 3:30 PM
newt, i really hope you get there man. if anybody deserves to break the records for all gm fwd 4 cylinder cars (running 12's all motor) it is you. proud of ya man, keep up the good work.

ps, nice. bogarts ftw . same as im getting here in about a month, but 15's so screw you with ur lighter wheels!!! hahahaha

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Monday, February 07, 2011 5:53 PM
awesomesauce

Monday, February 07, 2011 7:34 PM
Moar pics Hoser

Monday, February 07, 2011 11:23 PM
Good luck newt. Hope you do it. Really Makes me want to rethink the route I'm going with my car.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:09 PM
LE5/LSJ is just a LSJ head on a LE5 block, most of the ecotec heads are interchangeable with the bottom ends.

Brad - Thanks for the kind words bro, I don't know if I'm the most deserving, but I'll be pretty happy if I can do it.

Got some goodies in, I'll post more pics tomorrow, since I know I'm lacking the pics in here lol

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:47 PM
I figured thats how the mechanics of it worked. Are you using the L61 computer or what?

Im a bit curious in the swap. PM a link to some info if you have a chance. Dont want to whore up your thread.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 8:36 PM
did a 4 lug conversion??

can't wait to see how you make out!!

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 9:05 PM
we should do a group buy on the 2 step. Contact the company and maybe get a discount

GMR has got nothing on this
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 3:39 AM
Very interested in the two-step.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:44 AM
I think youll hit 12's. Mabey 12.8 or 12.9, but its still i 12 none the less. You obviously know this, but suspension and tires are gonna make or break you getting there.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:29 AM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:I figured thats how the mechanics of it worked. Are you using the L61 computer or what?

Im a bit curious in the swap. PM a link to some info if you have a chance. Dont want to whore up your thread.

I will be using a L61 computer with an external crank trigger that Phil (QBE) is having made. If you go into the GP forum all the info about the swap is located in his post. If you want more info, PM me and we can talk

strat81 wrote:did a 4 lug conversion??

can't wait to see how you make out!!

I found a company that will make me 5x100 -> 4x100 adaptors. Sounds kinda sketchy but they use them on a 900hp Camaro for the last 10 years without issue. They offer a full lifetime warrenty and a million dollar insurance policy if one ever breaks and I wreak my car.

I would of just got the right bolt pattern, but with a sticker price of +$400 bucks a rim, I bought these ones used off my friend for $200. Even after I buy the adaptors I'm still ahead $500 bucks.

DOHC_tuner wrote:we should do a group buy on the 2 step. Contact the company and maybe get a discount

-MD- Enforcer wrote:Very interested in the two-step.

N2MB does offer group purchase rates, very good ones as well. I actually ordered 5 when I bought mine cause a bunch of my friends wanted one as well. They retail for $199 with the dual feature and they offer $50 bucks off each if you order 5. The more you order the better deal you get, contact them, they are great to deal with.

Justin Stinepring wrote:I think youll hit 12's. Mabey 12.8 or 12.9, but its still i 12 none the less. You obviously know this, but suspension and tires are gonna make or break you getting there.

Thanks, many of Honda kids are running these those times with around that power levels. Mind you they do weight less than my car, but not by much. They also make much less torque, so it SHOULD run a 12, but anything is possible.

Suspension I have Koni Yellows with Ground Control coils, I'm debating running limiting straps on the front to keep it from lifting off the line, might also do some work to the rear end to keep it from squating. I was considering running a solid rear suspension but I have a feeling that will get dicey @ 100+mph at the end of the track.

Tires should help out huge with the cars gearing, and I should have no issues hooking up with a 9inch slick. No to mention each side with tires will come in at under 20lbs, thats a huge gain in itself.

I'm pretty sure I have my bases covered, it won't run a 12 the first day out, but after a season of tweaking I hope I can get there.

Some updates tho:

-Valve cover has shown up
-My LSJ cam caps have shown up (don't ask)
-LZM Balance shaft delete plugs have shown up
-GMR Hardened Oil Pump gears have shown up

I'm all set to pick up my LE5 this weekend now, so I will post pics of all the goodies when I get a chance.

Thanks for the interest guys!

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:13 AM
This is going to be awesome . Displacement + relatively high c/r + Awesome flowing head = ::insert masturbation reference here::. This is another example of how versitile this swap is. I ran a mildly built LE5/L61 as a daily driver, Phil's is turboed and pending the correct rods will be pushed beyond what is considered a "norm" for an OEM bottom end in a jbody, we have a couple M62 guys locally going with the LE5 bottom end, and now this n/a sweetness.

Twelves are a BIG deal, but i'll admit i'm more interested in dyno numbers compared to your current powerplant.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:48 AM
Ryan - A huge thanks goes out to you for pioneering this swap and helping me with all my questions!!!!!! Without you this wouldn't be happening!

Providing I can get all my parts in on time I will be dyno'ing it in early May, my local j-body club does a dyno day every spring. I will obviously post them when I get them...but thats getting ahead of ourselves. Probably gonna pull my car out of storage mid march and bring it over to my buddies to start working on it. I need to borrow a bunch of parts from it so hopefully around the same time I'll have all my parts in and it can be up and running for late april, tuned for early to mid-may and track ready by the end of may.

I think I might do some fancy paint work to the motor since I will have some time to kill with it, I have an idea and it should be pretty sweet!

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:55 AM
Couldn't you just have the rims re-drilled rather than use adapters or do you need the added spacing the adapters will add?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:33 AM
I was gonna redrill the wheels but you can't fit a 4x100 pattern inside a 5x100 pattern without oblonging one of the holes. The wheels are also a three piece setup so welding in the holes was also out of the question.

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 11:41 AM
Makes perfect sense.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 9:17 PM
how bout selling off them stage 2 cams and upgrading to stage 3 or custom grind?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search