Quest for the 12's.....All-Motor. - Page 18 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Quest for the 12's.....All-Motor.
Friday, August 05, 2011 2:50 PM
newt i came here to check out the timing ring pictures you have but noticed this:

how is the car running now? because this picture is screaming "NO!" to me.

from what I assumed about the oil system, the oil that gets pumped into the filter housing is forced through the front hole that you have tapped with a fitting, goes through the cooler, and then goes back through the other hole that you have blocked off.

the reason I didn't block either of these off on the skwirl was because there is a steel sleeve on the inside of the filter housing that will not let oil get to the rest of the engine.

here's the L61 filter housing:

here's the LSJ filter housing:

you can see the sleeve in the LSJ filter housing. by blocking it off, i'm not sure what you're doing in terms of oil flow, I assumed oil would get stuck in the filter housing but apparently your car is running?

Friday, August 05, 2011 4:51 PM
So that would be where we tap for our turbo oil feed heh......
Friday, August 05, 2011 6:00 PM
He pulled that sleeve out inside the Oil Filter housing

Saturday, August 06, 2011 3:36 AM
D-Mac wrote:He pulled that sleeve out inside the Oil Filter housing

if thats the case then it'll be fine, I missed that in the thread

Saturday, August 06, 2011 11:39 AM
Yup pulled the sleeve and tapped the housing for a plug

Car started up nice lastnight again

Monday, August 08, 2011 6:32 AM
Ya I pulled the sleeve out PJ, came out pretty easy, its just o-ringed in there.

No real updates, still breaking it in, hope to have it tuned by weeks end.

I do have a weird tuning issue tho, everytime I start the car when its still warm, the RPM will bog to around 500rpm and then recover, every once in a while tho it won't and it will stall out.

Thoughts?

Monday, August 08, 2011 6:52 AM
That sounds EXACTLY like what my car (and others) does with the blower when it's really hot/heat soaked.. A bip of the throttle keeps it right in line lol.

In your case, have you raised the warmed up idle at all? Beyond that i'm not sure there is too much you can do tuning wise, may have to caulk it up to the relatively lower velocity at idle and hope it corrects itself out once you have it dialed in and stop flashing new tunes. As you know it takes a couple key on cycles for the IAC to learn where it needs to be.

Monday, August 08, 2011 10:25 AM
Ah ic, I have raised my idle to 1000rpm, the blip of gas has been the method I've been using to get it to start...lol

Hopefully it will just work itself out then.

Thanks Ryan

Friday, August 12, 2011 6:27 AM
come on newt!!! I am waiting in anticipation

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:49 AM
Hey now, I'm working on it! lol

Got my new rear springs in yesterday and replacement lower collars, so its back to riding around on all 4 coilovers.

Rear springs ride like a total bag of @!#$...lol Not sure how long these will last, might swap them back in the day before going racing....its pretty brutal.

Here is the pic. (New: 8"x2.5"x600lbs-in Old: 7"x2.5"x250lbs-in)

Started WOT tuning, will have it done for Sunday, I'm out of town all next week for work and then next weekend I'm going RACING

Friday, August 12, 2011 11:05 AM
Also, wanted to add that my IDC is 61% so far on my 42lb/hr injectors.

But thats at 12.6-13.3 AFR, so it still needs some fine tuning.

I dunno but that seems high...maybe this motor will make some power after all.

Friday, August 12, 2011 6:44 PM
winning

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, August 12, 2011 11:46 PM
newt wrote:Also, wanted to add that my IDC is 61% so far on my 42lb/hr injectors.

Nice idc man lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:42 AM

Saturday, August 13, 2011 3:16 AM
newt wrote:Also, wanted to add that my IDC is 61% so far on my 42lb/hr injectors.

Awesome! For reference i was maxing 30 lb/hr injectors - like 85% IDC, and i had no where near the head work, cams and exhaust flow as you.

What are you targeting? Mine seemed to like to be richer than a standard L61 in general, obviously due to the higher static comp ratio. I ran it in the 12.8-13.0:1 range when all was said and done.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:59 AM
Weekend track updates:

Only made 2 1/4 mile passes (after which it rained and then they where only running 1/8 mile due to water bubbling up through the asphalt at the far end of the track).

Best run of the two was my first pass:

60' - 2.0
1/8 - 8.89
MPH - 80
1/4 - 13.77
MPH - 98

My other run I had some bad wheel hop out of the hole so I let out of it and ran a 14.0@101.

Not really what I was expecting, but for my first pass down the track with the new motor and tires it wasn't to bad.

Made another dozen or so 1/8 passes with my best one being:

60' - 1.865
1/8 - 8.709
MPH - 81

That pass would of been good for probably a ~13.5 or so in the 1/4, which still isn't great...but an improvement.

Tires where hooking up awesome, tire pressure was at 12psi and launching at 5000rpm. Next weekend I'm going to drop the tires to 10psi and try launching it from 6000rpm....probabaly shave a bit more off my 60' (even tho I'm very happy with a 1.86)

Some of the imediate issues I need to work on:

I was shifting the car at 7000rpm, which from what I can tell is too low for this set-up, going to try shifting at 7500rpm next weekend and see how that fairs out. Might even go a tad higher if the bottom end doesn't grenade at 7500 first...lol

Next up, something is @!#$ up in my tune, my AFR gets richer as I run through every gear for some reason. 1st and 2nd gear pull like a freight train and then 3rd and 4th felt very sluggish.....oldskool - hopefully you have some insight into this (check your PM's).

All in all I am pretty happy how it faired out the first time out, I am alittle concerned with how low my MPH is, but it wasn't the best track day (damp and humid). My buddy Paul K who ussually traps ~100mph was only trapping 94-95mph....so I'm not freaking out just yet. Plus with the traction I'm getting off the line you can expect the trap speeds to be a little low.

Anyways, thats all I have for now...hopefully get those bits sorted out for next weekend and hope for some better weather.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:23 AM
PM replied - this is the wonderful world of a less than complete tuning suite. Hang in there, I'm sure she's got more in her. It's gotta be like learning to drive a new car lol.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:45 AM
Hahaha ya it basically is...I'll fire up HPT tonight and try and sort this thing out....@!#$ I hate tuning! LOL

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:15 PM
Awesome dude. You heading to St Thomas on Saturday?

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:42 PM
You know I am! You going?

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:45 PM
newt wrote:You know I am! You going?

what time would you guys be at the track i work saturday but would love to check the car out if possible.i live in london so it is quite close for me
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:11 PM
hey. at least you bested ur last years times!!!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:38 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:hey. at least you bested ur last years times!!!

Amen!

You know you need some seat time and fine tuning to perfect this setup. I see low low 13's in your near future.

How was the track prep? Those are pretty good 60's, notice any spinning at all?
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:00 PM
The_miker - I'll be there from 10-4 basically all day, it's the J-Body club of Ontario track day! Hopefully I'll seeya there!

Brad - Ya I'm happy about that at least!

Trevor - Track prep wasn't terrible, but it rained on and off all day so it was damp, a bit of spinning on the slicks, only my first time on them so they have to break I as well.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:01 AM
newt wrote:You know I am! You going?

Oh you know it. Finished getting the car ready last night.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:46 AM
newt wrote:The_miker - I'll be there from 10-4 basically all day, it's the J-Body club of Ontario track day! Hopefully I'll seeya there!

Brad - Ya I'm happy about that at least!

Trevor - Track prep wasn't terrible, but it rained on and off all day so it was damp, a bit of spinning on the slicks, only my first time on them so they have to break I as well.

damn i work from 8-4. maybe i should call in sick.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search