Quest for the 12's.....All-Motor. - Page 20 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Quest for the 12's.....All-Motor.
Friday, September 16, 2011 6:01 AM
newt wrote:
If it works it works, if it doesn't well, I'll tell people it works anyways so I feel better about cutting huge holes in a perfectly good bumper hahaha

good attitude

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:31 AM
blucavvy wrote:
newt wrote:
If it works it works, if it doesn't well, I'll tell people it works anyways so I feel better about cutting huge holes in a perfectly good bumper hahaha

good attitude
This. I don't think it looks that bad though...

Friday, September 16, 2011 6:36 AM
We figured out another way to get the same effect last night. Put the exhaust blowing into the rear bumper. It creates a high pressure pocket in there and keeps the air under the car from going up in there. I still think you would do well to rock a belly pan under the suspension. And of course a custom intake manifold and custom cams would get you the power to go faster too.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, September 16, 2011 10:18 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:We figured out another way to get the same effect last night. Put the exhaust blowing into the rear bumper. It creates a high pressure pocket in there and keeps the air under the car from going up in there.

and eventually melts the bumper cover and achieves the same effect...

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:53 AM
I actually like them on your car, and on your bumper. That color really pulls them off I think. I really like them man. keeps it clean too.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:59 PM
Take that silly spoiler off

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:51 PM
Yup no matter what they work LOL

Tried to take off the spoiler but under it is scratched up underneath

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:05 AM
At least you painted them black... Of course you could stand to dab some paint on the screws, too. And I second Leafy on the custom cams, you've got a profile that's not designed for the stroke you're running, probably benefit a LOT with a custom grind.

Quote:

and eventually melts the bumper cover and achieves the same effect...

Like the great Dave Coleman once wrote: "If you put a steel bumper protector around your exhaust to prevent a fire, you're a tool. If you put a steel bumper protect around your exhaust to prevent a SECOND fire, you're a badass".... Or something like that...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:38 PM
looks good, im doing the same thing so im not going down the track with a parachute.

Buy my stuff!!! CLICK

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:10 PM
why not just put a flat piece of something under the bumper that connected a bit forward of the spare tire tub to sort of prevent air from getting under the bumper in the first place? thats a bit more of a sneaky solution assuming you could get it to work.

I like them black. I think it would have looked a bit more cool painted to match the bumper

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:49 PM
I love the look its strangely cool. Hybrid. Rofl

Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:38 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:why not just put a flat piece of something under the bumper that connected a bit forward of the spare tire tub to sort of prevent air from getting under the bumper in the first place? thats a bit more of a sneaky solution assuming you could get it to work.

I like them black. I think it would have looked a bit more cool painted to match the bumper

Weight reduction LOL

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:20 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:We figured out another way to get the same effect last night. Put the exhaust blowing into the rear bumper. It creates a high pressure pocket in there and keeps the air under the car from going up in there. I still think you would do well to rock a belly pan under the suspension. And of course a custom intake manifold and custom cams would get you the power to go faster too.

but when he is at the track his exhaust dumps right after the header so that really done'st work for him
Monday, September 19, 2011 6:32 AM
I considered skinning the underside, but after looking at it, it would be a serious pain in the ass to do it so that no air would get in the rear bumper, so I went with this idea instead.

Like I said, I know it doesn't look the greatest, but hopefully it will serve its purpose and thats all I care about, this is my race car afterall.

This was a much "prettier" solution compared to my original idea of taking a 3" hole saw to the rear bumper 6 or 7 times.

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:37 AM
Also, after YEARS of searching...I finally found my favorite factory J-Body wheel of all time!

Super pumped about these...I think they look perfect for the car, much better than my 00-02 SFGT wheels that all the paint was flaking off.

They are surprising quite light as well (they aren't actuall chrome...just chrome clad ie. plastic hub cap over the aluminum wheel).

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:08 AM
Dick lol

13.22 @ 105.2
Monday, September 19, 2011 8:34 AM
chrome doesnt add much weight if any at all, really.... mere ounces at best.

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:40 PM
They look better in person

Especially if they were flying by a Silvia LOL

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:10 PM
LOL poor Jake lol

13.22 @ 105.2
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:44 PM
Racecar !

Monday, September 26, 2011 5:01 PM
Just finished going through the entire thread (mainly on lunch today at work). This thread is full of win and makes me want another J! Good luck Newt, what you're doing is awesome!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:28 AM
Did you get any dyno numbers yet with the new setup?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:50 AM
He has not hit the Dyno with this setup

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:01 AM

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:12 PM
Car gets off the line like a Boss now with the new engine

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search