Few Updates (trunk mount battery and others) - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Few Updates (trunk mount battery and others)
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 1:40 PM

Under the Hood

With out cover

With cover

Under Car

Once the sealed box arrives, i'll make any finial tweaks to the cover, then fiberglass it. Maybe even mold a Volt Gauge into the cover so that I can monitor the volts. Ok, Im not gonna be able to see it when driving, but hey, it'll look cool!

Once the sealed box arrives, im going to put in a on/off switch for the battery. (which I think is required with NHRA Rules, and its a good idea to have one anyways). I'll probably install it behind the filler pannel (the area between the tail light and bumper). If I can pull it off, there will be a hindge that allows the filler pannel to swing open giving acess to the on off switch, but keeping it hidden.

Got my OEM (thank you Aaron) 2000-02 Corner lights on.

And installed the unfunctional floor bar. It doesn't really do anything, yet. I plan on putting a 4point cage in soon. And I'll probably weld the mount of the floor bar, to the cage. But for now, it just looks niffty.

And here is my friend Ronnie tring to squeeze into the PowerWheel (Project Drift Monkey) I built. Kinda reminds me of Jim Carey's version of Dr. Suess; How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Re: Few Updates (trunk mount battery and others)
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 2:14 PM
good looking stuff.

can you get some videos of you drifting the power wheel

Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 2:59 PM
yeah. lol. once we find a parking lot smooth enough and someone to tow me

To help it slide, im using some of my grind wax for when i inline. lol. The wheels are a weaker compond than on my skates, so it should still work fine

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 3:29 PM
love the big wheels idea hope you wear a helmet

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:38 PM
just courious man, whats the whole reason putting the battery there? not dogging you or anything, just courious. nicely done though.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:45 PM
better weight distrubition

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:01 PM
so is this car going to be a race car or all speed or what? just trying to get a idea of ur plans cuz u said something about NHRA like ur plannin on racing this and make it a official track car and all? just curious.

couldnt u have connected the wires lower in the loom so u could route them a lil better hidden instead of having them basically connected from the stock spot of the battery? sorry dunno about relocating battery cuz i ahvent looked into it much or tried to follow the terminal wires

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:43 PM
the relocation is kinda ghetto
and unnecessary unless you needed that space

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:29 PM
since its an unsealed battery i'd suggest some venting to the exterior of the car. might check the nhra rules on that. i think some other orginasations have talked about the fumes an unsealed battery can create.

why the switch, didnt u have a setup for your skate a while back?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:29 PM
the intake will be ran straight where the battery was, and behind the corner light. Less bends, cooler air, and its not being wraped around the block like the stock or aftermarket ones.

The battery is in the back for handling purposes. Tring to acheive somewhat of a better balance, look, and function. Although wheel spin/hop/traction now may become a issue with out having the battery there.

Once I get the suspension on (Tein SS) I plan to start Auto X'ing, and would also still like to be able to hit up the drag strip.

So its basicly just one step at a time. Working around the suspension because I am not able to order it untill August.

It also free's up some room in the engine bay to make it look a little better. (provided I actually clean it)

Its pretty much a car of functionality. With some slight cosmetic changes. (like shaved antenna, rear door handles, 2000-02 Headlight and 95-99 JDM Tails) Clean functional Stockness!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:39 PM
sndsgood wrote:since its an unsealed battery i'd suggest some venting to the exterior of the car. might check the nhra rules on that. i think some other orginasations have talked about the fumes an unsealed battery can create.

That's a sealed battery, and by it's looks one that is on its last leg.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:40 PM
Ok, nevermind.... should have looked at the pictures better.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:56 PM
dude for a second i thought u had exhaust or an intake running through your cab... LOL

nice work i guess, will be much nicer once u get the cover and @!#$ for teh beack and the intake

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:25 PM
not sure about the whole weight distribution thing, doesnt offset much

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:27 PM
How hard was it to extend the + wire?

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:39 PM
Scotty B: You can buy Relocation ktis that come with just about everything.

It was easy for me because I had acess to a lift. It would still be simple with out a lift, just more crawling on the ground.

You'd be amazed the difference you can make when your car doesn't weigh that much. 50/50 weight will really help handling. So i'll never get to that point with out adding weights, im tring to keep the same base weight of a car, just balance it better.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:51 PM
I understand how much better the handling would be if it was like 50/50, but moving a battery and saying it is for better handling is kinda far fetched. And as far as wheel hop up front, I dont think that will even come close. It just seems like you think this battery weighs as much as your motor, not trying to knock ya, just not really understanding the logic behind it!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:43 AM
I'd go with opitima battery. The yellow one. ALSO.... you need to ground ur battery from battery to chassis to engine or u will have problems later. If your car starts to act funny and ur gauges go out of whack... its cuz u did not ground it properly. Do you remember how the negative wire was grounded before u relocated the battery? If so... then ground it the same way. I believe it was grounded on the battery tray for chassis before grounded to the engine. Just giving you some helpful tips I had mine grounded from battery to strut for chassis ground then to another strut for 2nd chassis ground then to the engine. NOT ONE SINGLE problem from it.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 3:18 AM
i know in PA it is against the law to drive with an unsealed battery in the trunk (unless vented), and i'm pretty sure almost all race rules require unsealed batteries to be vented and have a cut-off switch.

http://www.helpelijah.com
Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:02 AM
hazen he has the battery grounded to the chassis and the engine has a ground to the chassis as well im sure.

but yeah he will have to get it vented and id suggest soon since a battery puts off toxic fumes when it is running.

as far as weight distribution if he takes 50lbs out of the front and puts it in back that a diffrence of 100 pounds of distributed weight wich on a 2000 pound car can mean allot. but honestly if i were doing this id take the car to a performance shop that does corner weighting to really find out where you need to mount the battery to get the best results. theres a place in blue ash that does it i beleive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:39 PM
LOL...nice power wheels....one of my friends hooked one of those up to a lawnmower battery...poor thing couldn't get traction after that, so he cut up some rubber tires and glued them to the plastic ones. He makes his kid wear a helmet when she rides it

~Kilo

Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:44 PM
I could almost understand what you are saying if our cars were only 2000lb, but last I saw they were closer to 3000lb, but whatever, just dont really see the point

Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:51 PM
96projectz24 wrote:I could almost understand what you are saying if our cars were only 2000lb, but last I saw they were closer to 3000lb, but whatever, just dont really see the point

Thats because (and just judging on sig) your more worried about looks, than performance. (which is cool and all).

Think about it like this. People go to the drag strip. The #1 thing people do (well, most people) is strip the car of any un-needed weight. Less Weight=Faster times (provided traction).

Have you ever driven your car on stock suspension, then driven a Miata or something similar on its stock suspension? Notice that the 50/50 weight and the lack of curb weight makes that thing handle like its on rails.

Once the Tein SS goes on, i'll really be able to push the car. But for now, its proven to help. In compact cars like ours you can tell a difference with weight shifts. Now lets say your driving a Lincoln, Caddy, or some bigger heavier car. You drop a battery in the trunk.... you're not going to notice a difference.

I try to keep the car light, balanced, and functional. (minus the floor bar... well, wait, if someone t-bones me in the middle, i may be better off with it in. lol)

A friend of mine owns his own shop. Its still rather new and just getting fully devolped, but thats where i've done most of my work at. He and I have a few hours on the car. I was reading in some mag where they had the Balance scales for $100-$400. I may buy a set, balance my car, then sell them to him for the shop.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:12 PM
I completely understand what you are saying, and not trying to bust on you, but comparing a 4 door cavalier to a little 2 door miata is nowhere near a good comparison. To the miata, we ARE the lincoln or the caddy!! I understand the logic behind balancing out a car, but at the beginning of the post it just sounded like that was all the balancing you were gonna do. Dont take it to seriously man, just trying to understand.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:12 PM
well if ya think about it, by taking a 50# battery's weight off the driver side corner, and moving it to the trunk (at its lowest point, and in center) your making a big change. Weight isn't your best friend when your turning, or tring to go fast.

The balance should be -battery weight on front left, +battery weight on both sides rear. There's enough weight on the passenger side front with the motor being there. Although im not sure what the stock balance is yet. Im pretty sure its probably about 70%front 30% Rear (maybe 65% front and 35% rear on a full tank). But i'll find out once i get some scales under it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search