New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:38 PM
I installed my CAI from AEM last week, and here are the before and after photos. It was a little bit of a pain in the a$$ but i managed to get it in and its running great. I am still waiting for the clutch bracket to come in so that I can un-ziptie it from the fire wall.













Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:42 PM
Nice upgrade. Is that a antenna bolted on the left fender lip???

Proud member since 99
Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:46 PM
Yea thats my antenna for my scanner inside the car. im a fire fighter, and fire photographer.
Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Thursday, February 21, 2008 5:57 PM
looks good!

any plans to get the cam cover cleaned up, polished, or powdercoated?



Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Thursday, February 21, 2008 6:37 PM
You should connect your FPR line into the intake (not the AEM intak) don't use the foam thing they give you.

You can see mine in this picture.






Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Friday, February 22, 2008 10:56 AM
EcoCav (DesertTuners) wrote:

You should connect your FPR line into the intake (not the AEM intak) don't use the foam thing they give you.

You can see mine in this picture.


How did you do that? And do you have a better photo so that i can see the over all install?
Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Friday, February 22, 2008 1:17 PM
Nice intake



Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Friday, February 22, 2008 3:12 PM
Quote:

How did you do that? And do you have a better photo so that i can see the over all install?


There are 2 little rubber "nipples" on the intake manifold that cover unused vacuum ports. Pull off one of the nipples and connect a vacuum hose to your FPR. The foam thing AEM provides is weak.



Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Friday, February 22, 2008 6:41 PM
I have to look into that tomorrow when i get home from work. i will update on the progress tomorrow after I'm done.

thanks for all the compliments and the help that yall have been giving me. I truly appreciate it.

Steve
Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Friday, February 22, 2008 7:02 PM
EcoCav (DesertTuners) wrote:

You should connect your FPR line into the intake (not the AEM intak) don't use the foam thing they give you.

You can see mine in this picture.


You don't need to do this. It makes no difference.

But nice intake, the red looks good.



Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Friday, February 22, 2008 8:22 PM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:


You don't need to do this. It makes no difference.
But nice intake, the red looks good.


We have had 2 cavaliers come into GM this month with the FPR line removed and it has burned up the fuel pumps (all over 100k miles) So we looked into it...
According to GM when its disconnected, your fuel pump is running at full pressure all the time. Not at WOT like it should. When at WOT it lowers the vacuum in the FPR and raises the pressure in the line. At idle raises pressure and lowers fuel pressure. Thats what GM states (generic version), and claimed was the reason for fuel pump failure. I would rather have it there and not chance it.




Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Friday, February 22, 2008 9:07 PM
You haven't experience a pain in the ass with an AEM intake until you've tried (and succeeded) to make it work with an M62.




14.330 @ 96.37mph
Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Friday, February 22, 2008 10:42 PM
EcoCav (DesertTuners) wrote:

(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:


You don't need to do this. It makes no difference.
But nice intake, the red looks good.


We have had 2 cavaliers come into GM this month with the FPR line removed and it has burned up the fuel pumps (all over 100k miles) So we looked into it...
According to GM when its disconnected, your fuel pump is running at full pressure all the time. Not at WOT like it should. When at WOT it lowers the vacuum in the FPR and raises the pressure in the line. At idle raises pressure and lowers fuel pressure. Thats what GM states (generic version), and claimed was the reason for fuel pump failure. I would rather have it there and not chance it.


So you're saying the way ecotecs come (without vacuum to fpr) damages the fuel pumps. I think not.

The base fuel pressure on the ecotecs is 56 psi (I believe)
All you would be doing by hooking up the vacuum line is lowering fuel pressure when vacuum is present(off wot).



Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Friday, February 22, 2008 11:07 PM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:


So you're saying the way ecotecs come (without vacuum to fpr) damages the fuel pumps. I think not.


I'm only stating what the company that made the car said. I'm sure they know what they are talking about, aren't they ones that made it?. I don't know about your Eco, but mine came stock with a vacuum line from the intake to the FPR.



Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Saturday, February 23, 2008 11:39 AM
EcoCav (DesertTuners) wrote:

(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:


So you're saying the way ecotecs come (without vacuum to fpr) damages the fuel pumps. I think not.


I'm only stating what the company that made the car said. I'm sure they know what they are talking about, aren't they ones that made it?. I don't know about your Eco, but mine came stock with a vacuum line from the intake to the FPR.



Exactly, how much vacuum do you get from the intake? 0 in hg.

Mine too came with a vacuum line to the intake pipe before the throttle body, where no vacuum is present.













Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Saturday, February 23, 2008 12:12 PM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:

Exactly, how much vacuum do you get from the intake? 0 in hg.

Mine too came with a vacuum line to the intake pipe before the throttle body, where no vacuum is present.


Take your intake off, and put your hand over the throttle body with the engine running and you tell me there's no vacuum there.

Some Ecos have the vacuum FPR and some don't, it depends on whether or not there's a return line for the fuel. Those without the return line vary the flow rate through pump voltage.




14.330 @ 96.37mph
Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:53 PM
I have since re-attached the line to the top nipple that was capped off. I didn't notice a difference with the line off, and the line on. I am going to leave it on because it was connected prior to the AEM intake going in the car.

Steve
Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:30 PM
BlownBlackZ wrote:

(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:

Exactly, how much vacuum do you get from the intake? 0 in hg.

Mine too came with a vacuum line to the intake pipe before the throttle body, where no vacuum is present.


Take your intake off, and put your hand over the throttle body with the engine running and you tell me there's no vacuum there.

Some Ecos have the vacuum FPR and some don't, it depends on whether or not there's a return line for the fuel. Those without the return line vary the flow rate through pump voltage.


wow, a returnless fuel system on a cavalier. lol


EDIT: I don't mean to come off like an ass. It doesn't make a difference whether or not you hook up the vacuum line or not. The ecm will adjust the fuel tables accordingly.

I suggest whoever thinks they will get vacuum from an intake port (pre-throttlebody), to hook up a vacuum gauge. Under load you'll get maybe 1-2 inches at most.






Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:42 PM


Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:05 PM
i dont have a fuel pressure guage on my eco. But on my 2.4l , when you remove the FPR vaccum line the pressure jumps up 10PSI.

Not sure on the ecotec though, i would assume the same thing.


I have a RK sport intake, and i have the vaccum tube hooked from the intake manifold to the FPR.








Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:15 PM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:

Under load you'll get maybe 1-2 inches at most.


Uh, thats normal. More load = less vacuum. WOT = no vacuum.

And if the ECM can adjust fuel accordingly, why do any cars have an FPR in the first place?



14.330 @ 96.37mph
Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:28 PM
BlownBlackZ wrote:

(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:

Under load you'll get maybe 1-2 inches at most.


Uh, thats normal. More load = less vacuum. WOT = no vacuum.

And if the ECM can adjust fuel accordingly, why do any cars have an FPR in the first place?


Right, for manifold vacuum: More load = less vacuum. WOT = no vacuum
But vacuum from an intake pipe (PRE THROTTLE BODY) will yeild NO vacuum. End of story

Honestly, you are wrong and do not understand engine management systems. I give up, sorry for the thread jack.




Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:05 PM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:

BlownBlackZ wrote:

(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:

Honestly, you are wrong and do not understand engine management systems. I give up, sorry for the thread jack.


So today I hooked up the TECH II to my car, the fuel pressure was holding between 345-414 kPa (50-60 psi) as it should be and is stated in the GM Si. When the FPR line was removed, the TECH II showed that fuel pressure was increased to 482-517 kPa (70-75 psi). So with the FPR line removed there was an increase of around 10 psi of fuel pressure. So that little FPR line does something right? If you have access to a TECH II, check it out yourself.



Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:03 PM
Hey don't bother dude, can't argue with this guy, he obviously knows everything, where you and I are simple folk with nary a clue.




14.330 @ 96.37mph
Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:15 PM
EcoCav (DesertTuners) wrote:

(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:

Honestly, you are wrong and do not understand engine management systems. I give up, sorry for the thread jack.


So today I hooked up the TECH II to my car, the fuel pressure was holding between 345-414 kPa (50-60 psi) as it should be and is stated in the GM Si. When the FPR line was removed, the TECH II showed that fuel pressure was increased to 482-517 kPa (70-75 psi). So with the FPR line removed there was an increase of around 10 psi of fuel pressure. So that little FPR line does something right? If you have access to a TECH II, check it out yourself.


Right, your car is not setup like OE. You have the vacuum line hooked up to manifold vacuum. OE is hooked up to the intake where there is no vacuum.

And you checked fuel pressure with the tech 2? Might I ask how? Seeing as our cars do not have fuel pressure gauges.



Re: New AEM CAI on my Cavy with photos
Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:28 PM
You don't need a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure when using a TECH II. I'm going to guess your not a GM technician and certified to use a TECH II ? Simply check GM's Si about how to use a TECH II and check the Cavalier for fuel pressure. Si shows how to check on a stock OE Cavalier. I'm sure their Si bulletin on it wouldn't lie. Anyway... I proved my point.

Anyway, back to your topic... Nice intake, good idea to connect the FPR to the proper vacuum.



Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search