New. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New.
Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:24 AM
Hello, I own a '96 cavalier z24 manual and would like some help on how and where to get started in terms of building it up. My goal is for it to be shiny inside and out, and poss. get into some shows later down the road. First, before i start to spend what little money I have on it, I would like to know if it is even worth the time and effort to attempt an engine swap and if so...to what engine is recommended? Then,what should I start with to get it runnin like a monster and growling (a nice deep roar, not purring, and esp. not what ever that @!#$in noise every one else seems to think is cool...A.k.A. rice burners and cherry poppers and fart cans?) Thank you for any and all help.

Re: New.
Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:21 AM
The only engine that J owners have ever dropped in are Northstar v8's. I remember some talk about a 3800 series II by GM as well. Im not sure how far that went though. The northstar has been done a few times, just search around and see what you can find. I am by no means experiences with engine swaps but these have been done.

As for mods to make your cavalier "roar" (lol). If your thinking about swapping an engine and fabbing mounts for that kind of thing, you should know what mods make a car roar by now.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to the ORG. Just dont over assert yourself. We get all pissy =)

Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:29 PM
kris brickman wrote:The only engine that J owners have ever dropped in are Northstar v8's. I remember some talk about a 3800 series II by GM as well. Im not sure how far that went though. The northstar has been done a few times, just search around and see what you can find. I am by no means experiences with engine swaps but these have been done.

As for mods to make your cavalier "roar" (lol). If your thinking about swapping an engine and fabbing mounts for that kind of thing, you should know what mods make a car roar by now.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to the ORG. Just dont over assert yourself. We get all pissy =)

is that supposed to be a joke? people swap in 2.4l ld9's, 2.2l ecotecs and 3100 series v6 with minimal effort. the 3800 series II is a very difficult swap, and probably out of the OP's league.

as far as getting a deep roar from a 4 cyl engine, good luck with that. if you're on a limited budget, you're probably not going to be able to afford a full exhaust.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:46 PM
kris brickman wrote:The only engine that J owners have ever dropped in are Northstar v8's. I remember some talk about a 3800 series II by GM as well. Im not sure how far that went though. The northstar has been done a few times, just search around and see what you can find. I am by no means experiences with engine swaps but these have been done.

One car has a Northstar V8 swapped into it, quite a few more have the L67(3800 S/C) swapped in, 3400s and 3100 are even more common, then there is the 2.4L LD9(Z/24 engine) and L61 Ecotec.

Since you have a 96(no available tuning) and no matter what you'll have to mess with wiring, i would look at a 3400 V6.

Monday, March 22, 2010 11:12 AM
Quote:

is that supposed to be a joke? people swap in 2.4l ld9's, 2.2l ecotecs and 3100 series v6 with minimal effort. the 3800 series II is a very difficult swap, and probably out of the OP's league.

I was under the impression that he meant engines other than those that have come stock with J's. I apologize.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:44 PM
Thank you. Out of the listed suggestions, which might be the "easiest" job? I don't want anything smaller, i.e. the 2.2s...I'm really looking into a v6.
Monday, March 29, 2010 3:51 PM
Looks like you'd be looking at doing a 3x00 swap.. it's been done quite a bit and there are several write-ups if I remember right. Good Luck and get to work

Monday, March 29, 2010 8:32 PM
Like was already said. Youre going to need to switch to a 97+ PCM or rewire yours if you want to do anything with it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search