92 Cavalier RS Convertible - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
92 Cavalier RS Convertible
Monday, May 23, 2022 6:01 PM
This is my 1992 Chevy Cavalier RS Convertible. It is one of 6,530 built for the 1992 model year and only one of 1,282 equipped with a glass rear window. RS models finished in White were unique in the fact that they were the only ones to have body-colored bumpers as opposed to Black on other colors. Only 2,252 were finished in White for the 1992 model year. A unique option installed on this one is the glass rear window with rear defroster. Previously the rear windows were plastic but, announced for the 1993 model year, Chevy switched to standard glass rear windows. But 1,282 late-build 1992 convertibles were equipped with this option. It was not even advertised for the 1992 model year.

This particular vehicle was built at the Lordstown, OH assembly plant on May 29, 1992. It was sold through the Ed Morse Auto Group and shipped to Lauderhill Leasing (now Ed Morse Fleet) at Ed Morse Cadillac in Tampa. In June 1992 it went into service as a National Rental Car at the Tampa International Airport. It stayed in rental service through the spring of 1993 and was taken out of service with just under 12K miles.

I just bought it a couple of weeks ago from the third owner with only 82K miles on it. It's been in storage for a few years. There is very little rust.
Attachments
20220514_125630.jpg (3205k)

Re: 92 Cavalier RS Convertible
Tuesday, May 24, 2022 4:33 PM
Very nice car!
I had a 94 RS convertible. Looked just like yours, only mine had white side moldings, instead of the red on yours. The top was white on it. It had a non heated glass window. I used that car for parts when building the 88 Wagon. My 92 Z24 also came with the glass rear window, though it wasn't heated either.
No one makes the correct top well liner for the glass window cars. In fact the place I bought mine from said there is only one type liner. I even took pictures of both the 92 and 94 and sent them, proving the factory well liner for the glass window are different than those for the plastic window. The cutout of the package tray is different too, thus the need for the correct liner, for the best fit. They never replied back.
I've kept both of those liners. I'll use one for a pattern to make my own, next time I replace the top. Also, as you may or may not know, the plastic window cars had an ABS plastic tray piece that the well liner laid on at the back. Now that I think about it, I should make some of the correct liners for glass windowed cars and sell them, since no one else even know they exist. A plastic window liner will work, but the glass can't drop into place like it does with the proper liner. The glass lays on it, rather than dropping down into it. It works, but I have to 'help' it lay down when lowering the top. Meaning, I have to lower the top, get out and raise the bottom of the glass a little to get the top of the glass to drop into place. Then I can continue lowering the top down. Kinda sucks really.

Anyway, it is a super nice car you have. Take good care of it.
Tuesday, May 24, 2022 6:27 PM
Thank you! I honestly haven't looked that closely to the top well liner. I did notice though how the glass sorts of lays on the top as you said. Surprisingly the original OEM boot is still in the trunk.
Attachments
20220514_134236.jpg (2855k)
20220514_145633.jpg (2968k)

Thursday, May 26, 2022 12:31 AM
The 94 I had, had its boot too. The 92 didn't have one, but I found a nice white one for it. The car has white interior.
Monday, August 22, 2022 8:08 PM
Man, that's a gem!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search