First time at the Drag Strip - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: First time at the Drag Strip, Cayuga Dragway Aug. 5
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:36 PM
btw, a new PAIR OF KUMHO KU-36 Drag Tires and the Chrome wheels were just over $450

You can get Wheels Cheaper and possibly use a pair of old Stocks. Just buy the Correct tire for the application.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:24 PM
Thanks for the tips on the tire pressures guys. I will actually adjust them next time I go out instead of just lining right up to race. lol

Not planning to spend any money on drag tires, just keeping the car the way it is.
If ROKN20S can hit 16sec in his Auto Cavaliers, I should easily be able to run 15.5 with practice, ha ha

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:48 PM
You're correct. I remember years ago when this was a Hot Topic as the Ecotec was just released in the J-Body. Good drivers were hitting 15.6 ALL STOCK.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 4:37 AM
i ran 15.25@92mph in my 2000 Sunfire Gt with a BONE STOCK ecotec swap......it was 5 speed on street tired pulled 2.05 60' launched around 3500-4000 rpm

I guess it was not bone stock had engine mounts, tranny mounts and control arm bushings.......that eliminated all wheel hop

Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:06 PM
rok has some good points people are so cheap when it comes to racing sometimes lmao . i was able to go 16.01 on my 4dr auto ls sedan and cut a 2.2 with street tires and thats pretty sick for a anemic auto sedan lmao
Friday, August 19, 2011 8:26 PM
james- im all for drag radials but some people would much rather just race the car as it sits same as driving on the street.

personally... from what i have seen an n/a j-body do with street tires i really dont see the need for DR's unless you simply cannot drive ur car well (on an n/a car).

the fact of the matter is with n/a the power really isnt there to justify the need for DR's. some of the best set-up turbo cars with 500whp on slicks and a welded diff only manage 1.7's to 1.6's. hell the best 60 foot ive ever heard or read about on here out of our cars was a 1.6 and that was with hahn's 630+whp sunfire.

if you can drive ur n/a car and have it set-up well there really isnt much need for drag radials in my opinion. there just isnt much room for improvement with the kind of power levels we see n/a around here... again, if you can drive ur car and have it set-up well.

Friday, August 19, 2011 11:32 PM
the 'weekend racer' can invest in a cheap set of DR's and wheels I suppose..as i am looking for a set. But I dont see the need for high priced DR's when you use them twice a year. To me $4-500 for twice a yr use is too much when it can go towards a turbo build or brake upgrade.

Like Zyaaa said, its about having the street car you drive to meets and to work, going to the track and showing its 'true' times.
We all know DR's and lighter than steelies will improve times..but i still think my steelies with 195 michelins will fair better than my 18" katanas with 225's hard compound rubber.
My next investment for track times is the tranny/engine mount route and CA bushings. cause as Viper stated, eliminating my wheel hop will DRASTICALLY improve my times alone.

I envy the people who are able to hit the tracks on a regular basis...but its my dd and i just spend over $1800 on new flywheel/clutch..last thing i need is that crap to go again lol

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:11 PM
I only bought my Drag Radials because I don't like shaving rubber off the 225/30/20 tires. Cheaper for me to have the smaller set than to replace the tires on the 20s

When my cars were stock or N/A I always used whatever tire/wheel was on the car.

My point above is that Removing the 17" wheels the OP has on his car and swapping to a True LOW PERFORMANCE 14" steel wheel tire was actually hurting him and to use what he has if he isn't going to buy a true race set-up.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 6:17 AM
^^ thats not true at all he just has to learn to drive his car with the other tire and slip the clutch off the line......

in my old red car.......i ran one night on 3 sets of tires.......225/45/17 ran 15.7 they had Michelin Pilot Sports.......then i ran stock 16's with stock good year rsa ran 15.5 then i put on 15's with just @!#$ty no name brand 195/65/15 and ran 15.3

Its all in knowing your car and getting the proper launch

Sunday, August 21, 2011 9:37 AM
It would be cool to have a j-body drag night with lightly modded or stock set ups. Every race would be neck and neck.

On a stock car, it is only about the driver period, I'm not there yet. The baseline is set tho, and I can focus on breaking my personal record from there

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:25 PM
Around here they won't let you run in the traction compound with street tires. So dr's or slicks have an added bonus to be able to run in the compound (but that may not be the same at every track).

Monday, August 22, 2011 9:36 AM
At Greenfield, they usually let you line up and do everything the exact same as the pro and super pro cars, no matter what tire type or class.

Monday, August 22, 2011 10:21 AM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:Around here they won't let you run in the traction compound with street tires. So dr's or slicks have an added bonus to be able to run in the compound (but that may not be the same at every track).

huh??? the compound is sprayed on the starting line.

did you mean they dont let you drive through the waterbox?

Monday, August 22, 2011 4:13 PM
I think he's talking about how some tracks make people on street tires line up outside of the groove, where there isn't as much of it.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:00 PM
thats how SAR does it here....they make you go outside the waterbox..and they're VERY stingy on if you have anything dripping..one girl ran and her A/C compressor was 'sweating'...they were making sure she didnt go through again with it covered in condensation again. they yelled at her at the time slip pickup at the end of the track and again before trying to race. I mean in her defense, she just came from like a 25mile drive to get there lol. But get there early and turn off your A/C long before the race. Car shouldnt be running much anyways before you run it.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search