ever have a wheel fly off while driving....? - Jacked / Wrecked / Sold Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ever have a wheel fly off while driving....?
Friday, August 20, 2010 9:50 AM
FML for real....

soo....been trying to keep this damned car together for awhile now, but it seems like its finally hit that age where everything is just going out on it. window motors will go down but need help (ie me pulling on the window) to come back up. interior (esp door panels) are in rough shape. just had to swap to stock rims because my 18s cracked a spoke and had two sets of lug nut keys strip on me. needs a real paint job as my temp one i did two years ago is starting to fade. and i just replaced the top because someone slashed it (although thats not the car's fault, at least).

and now this......my wheel sheered 4 lug studs and came flying off while in a turn today!!! holy @!#$! now im not sure the underlying cause for this yet, but something has got to be @!#$ up in the front pass suspension for it to do this as that is also the corner that cracked a rim. so now its waiting on a rollback and gotta have it checked out to see what the real problem with it is. in the mean time, it broke off my PS skirt and fender flare, wrecked the fender itself, and the rim went rolling at least 100-150ft. cant even speculate on other damage from slamming down and sliding on concrete.

in the end i suppose it could have been worse.....i was about half a mile from getting on the interstate. but at the same time i also missed mandatory job training today and the place i work has been laying off and firing people left and right all year (14 in my dept so far, or approx 20% of its employees), so im pretty sure im w/o a job as of today too. best part? they said if we didnt show up for this training they would consider it self termination, which means i couldnt draw unemployment if they do that. ugh....FML for real

if you guys cant view the photos ill rehost somewhere other than facebook....

Re: ever have a wheel fly off while driving....?
Friday, August 20, 2010 9:54 AM
Damn.. Good luck though.

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:07 AM
oh wow that sucks, ben. sometimes lugs just do that unfortunately. be it due to them being stretched back and fourth from installing wheels too many times or just brittle from age, it happens.

best of luck getting her back on the road again.

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Friday, August 20, 2010 10:09 AM
Ugh that's too bad.. Atleast you weren't hurt, nor anyone else. Hopefully too much wasn't damaged other than the obvious. That must have been scary though.

I'm sure your company will spare you if you email them these pics and a sincere apology for being unable to make it. Especially if this happened on your route to work. It's not like it was a deliberate absence.

Edit: I actually did almost have a wheel fall off.... After swapping the springs back to stock on my SS, I left my friends (also after having asked him if he re-checked the lugs when he put my wheels on)... Trusting him, I left, got on the highway, started slowing down on the off-ramp and had a TON of wobble, I pulled over right away knowing something was wrong. My driver's side wheel had 3 lugs that were only hangining on by a few threads, and I'm sure if I drove much longer the other two (which were tight atleast most of the way tight...) would have sheared off in no-time.

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:17 AM
I had my back wheel almost fall off
Idk what happen but the car just started swaying back and forth in too the turn but good thing it was like 2 blocks from my house
The lugnuts got lose some how

You could have over tightened them way too much
Friday, August 20, 2010 10:18 AM
^ I know at my past company once the statement was made for mandatory meetings/training and a self termination in place for a no show, we had to follow through. Our only exceptions was medical emergency (documentation required and not a doctor office visit) and court.

Good luck I hope everything works out.

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:46 AM
Wow that sucks big time dude! I hope you dont lose your job over some BS like this! ON the bright side your insurance company should cover most of this aside from the deductable, and most of the damage looks very repairable. Im betting you accidently over tightned your lug nuts oor have just taken your rims off 10000000 times lol. Ive had like 4 customers come in with wheel offs from overtorqing lug nuts,it just makes them snap. I always torque my wheels with a torque wrench just to be sure.

CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/id/TMald123
Friday, August 20, 2010 10:47 AM
Damn man, glad your ok though. That sucks.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, August 20, 2010 11:19 AM
Wow, really sorry to hear about that man. I really hope you can figure everything out both with your job and the vert. Good luck!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Friday, August 20, 2010 11:33 AM
man thats a nasty turn anyway, it doesnt help that the road its on is @!#$ty as hell.

good lucky man, if u need nething lemme know

Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:55 PM
Ouch that sucks glad u ok thou

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:47 PM
i had this happen back in 08, NY sucks, i had to drive the car off the turnpike on one lug that survived

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 3:43 PM
wow man good to hear your not hurt! i had a wheel fall off on my integra scary stuff. good luck with the job and on another note i like the ride looks clean
Friday, August 27, 2010 6:08 PM
Tabs, Man, im so sorry to hear that. I have always loved your Vert, and thank god you were not hurt. Stuff happens and sometimes it seems like it happens all at once. Goodluck man, get her painted and get her back on the road. I would hate to see you give up on such a beautiful car. On the bright side all you really need is a sideskirt, a fender and new hub, nothing a little TLC cant help Goodluck man!

Friday, August 27, 2010 6:10 PM
Updates? did you keep your job? Repairs? anything new?

CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/id/TMald123
Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:55 AM
new hub bearing (on DS?) and lug studs/nuts. according to the shop my lug studs were too short or rims wrong offset causing the lug nuts to not be able to thread on far enough. ??? thats why i hate having to have any shop touch my car. the studs were 100% stock (as were the rims) btw.

now i need a new fender because this one is crumpled but still on the car and then to reinstall the skirt and flare. but honestly the car has seen better days. while i love it, i wish i could afford a better one. but since now im jobless thats no where soon in sight. yay bad luck!

Saturday, September 04, 2010 10:10 PM
tabs were you using hub centric rings when you had your rims on ?

Thursday, September 09, 2010 2:51 PM
damn dude. that sucks.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:07 AM
azn: everything was stock

Friday, September 17, 2010 12:10 PM
That really blows man, sorry to hear it. At least you're okay and the wheel didnt come off when you were at high speed. I never had a wheel come off, thankfully, but my old POS Lebaron lost 4 out of 5 lug nuts and probably would have lost the last one if some guy didnt warn me when I was at the gas pump. Best of luck on the repairs.

Friday, September 17, 2010 12:48 PM
Quote:

...but since now im jobless thats no where soon in sight.

Damn, your wheel falling off your car wasn't a good enough excuse for them, jeez. it seems like alot of companies these days are just @!#$ workers since they know poeple need jobs with the way the economy is these days. Good luck in the job search.

Were the lugnuts the original ones that your car came with or did you buy them from an auto parts store?

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:36 PM
wow ben i just found this. sucks to here. i did have this happen on my 97, reason was because i kept over tightening them. now i understand the reason for parting out.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:48 PM
Mine fell off going 75mph down I35 in TX..... scared the bejebus outta me:

I sheared off 3 lugnuts with the studs still attached.... my guess was that I was over tightening them and stressed the studs to much.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:10 PM
i almost had my passenger side wheel come off.. good thing it didnt. kinda hard to replace the wheel lol.. but i did break off THREE lugs and studs an road on two loose lug-nuts. i think i was doing 65-70 merging onto an on ramp.

thank god i was able to slow down when i heard the noise in front and pull over.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:56 PM
Happened on the highway at about 75..This was the rear drivers side on my 2nd gen black sedan
Attachments
tire.jpg (334k)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search