New Project '89 Cabby. - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Project '89 Cabby.
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:30 PM
Picked this up on Saturday. 1989 VW Cabriolet. Its got 172,000 miles on it and its in amazing shape. It runs pretty well just has some issues starting and after some troubleshooting I figured out the starter was the cause and am currently replacing it.

Ordered and shipped are Raceland coilovers and new strut mounts front and rear. Other plans include tune up, wheels, A/C delete and who knows after that.

Haven't been able to drive it a lot for better pics so I took some quick ones after pulling the starter.

Picking up the new starter tomorrow and hopefully it'll start up and run. Then for some new pics and then await install of coilovers and more low.

Stay tuned...

Re: New Project '89 Cabby.
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:34 AM
HMMMM I'll watch.

Want hub spacers or rear disk brackets? Shoot me a PM.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:38 AM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:HMMMM I'll watch.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:12 AM
different, can't say I've seen many builds for one of these.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:03 AM
That's part of the reason I got it. I was looking for an old convertible bug but couldn't find any in my price range that were running. I came across this, its a vert, its running and it was in my price range. So, I started looking into them and love the way they look slammed with some nice wheels. They just look akward, I love them. It's a blast to drive.

Coilovers are due for delivery on Tuesday.

Old VW's don't die, they get low.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:55 AM
sorry not feeling the car as a whole but good luck with the project

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:16 AM
never liked cabrio, but thats a clean example. i loved my 87 gti 16v. interior was tits with the recaro's. too bad teh fuel injection was suck a bastard. I wish you luck with her it would be a good candidate for a vr6 swap.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:27 AM
Looks like a fun project. I'll stay tuned.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:02 AM
I wasn't sure what to expect opening this thread but damn, I'm so disappointed to see a total bitch car as a project. Worst car ever!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:24 AM
haha better than your original vw? haha that thing was insane...

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:05 AM
I'm not really sure what to say about that. So, I'll just say that I <3 haters. They make me famous.

I expected mixed emotions on here but I love it.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:46 PM
Lol the first thing that did come to my mind was that was more of a chicks car then a J-body, but hey I will stay tuned to see what happens.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:10 PM
vdubs go crazy low with out issues unlike our jbodies lol. girl car or not. droptops are fun!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:09 PM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:So, I'll just say that I <3 haters. They make me famous.

Sweet car brah.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:59 PM
LOL! I am totally going to grow my hair out and do it like that!

And btw I was didn't mean the haters thing. I know people will call it a chick car but, I'm used to it. I DD a cav.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:04 PM
And this is the look/stance I am going to go for.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:23 PM
^^^That looks real good.

And ppl on a Jbody forum calling this a girl car.... when Cavys and sunfires are girl cars. Hell I know more girls with cobalts than guys probably(though EVERYONE owns balts nowadays).

If you get it looking CLOSE to that.... this will be one of my favorite older VWs.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:42 AM
Props for building something a lil different.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:51 AM
I think it's a pretty cool project.

IMO I would honestly find a bug convertible if that's what you really want. Any air cooled car will actually be worth decent money after you fix it up, especially a convertible, an 89 cabrio not so much...... My dad and I have probably fixed up over 20 beetles over the years. I currently have a 59 ragtop
Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:03 PM
I never said I wasn't going to eventually get a bug. This just came along and was the right price and I've never seen one, much less a modified one, before so I scooped it up.

I don't get cars as an investment. I know I'm going to lose money. Thats not the point, the point is to have fun.

Thanks!

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:33 PM
Really... a car as an investment is VERY hard to pull off. Buying one just for an investment isn't the smartest thing to begin with considering you can put money into a lot more practical things.

Like cocain or meth.

Friday, July 01, 2011 7:07 AM
It's starting and running under its own power again! Took it out for a nice drive last night. Will get more/better pics this weekend.

I love driving this thing.

Friday, July 01, 2011 9:45 AM
Scott (Silver Z) wrote:And this is the look/stance I am going to go for.

That's a local buddy of mine and I must say that car is really nice in person, I've got a lot more pictures of that car if you'd like.

If you are going for that stance then be prepared for a lot of rubbing, I remember driving next to him down to Sowo last year and I swear he's car rubbed the entire way down there, I couldn't believe it still has decent tires/fenders. That's the price you pay for that great static stance though.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Friday, July 01, 2011 9:48 AM
I have a few pics of it saved from the vortex. They're currently my screen saver. I may not go quite that low, we'll see.

Do you happen to know what he's lowered on and what the specs are on his wheels/tires?

Thanks!

Friday, July 01, 2011 10:47 AM
When I saw this car, this song came to mind.

But seriously.
The09GXP wrote:Props for building something a lil different?

Good luck.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search