Subaru BRZ - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Subaru BRZ
Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:18 AM
Wow, that looks awesome.

Replace the big ass wing with a lip spoiler and it would be even better.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:16 AM
OMG

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:46 PM
Wing doesn't look bad on there, but I think there are other things that would look great. I think it is sexy as hell. People will buy them and boost the hell out of them, thought as it sits, would be a fun weekend car for autocross and just spirited driving. It's obviously not supposed to be a drag queen or rally car (like the other subaru brands). The boxer engine is a win, but just not a subie, I think it should've been a toyota (Not sure how the FT-86 is coming, or is that the scion I've seen?)

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:03 PM
OhForKavy (WhiteKnightro) wrote:Wing doesn't look bad on there, but I think there are other things that would look great. I think it is sexy as hell. People will buy them and boost the hell out of them, thought as it sits, would be a fun weekend car for autocross and just spirited driving. It's obviously not supposed to be a drag queen or rally car (like the other subaru brands). The boxer engine is a win, but just not a subie, I think it should've been a toyota (Not sure how the FT-86 is coming, or is that the scion I've seen?)

It's all Subie bro. Subaru developed the mechanical side of the car, Toyota the styling. This car is more Subaru than Toyota.

2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Saturday, November 19, 2011 4:38 AM
Ok, I won't lie to myself...i want one!

Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:02 AM
Evol...??? wrote:
OhForKavy (WhiteKnightro) wrote:Wing doesn't look bad on there, but I think there are other things that would look great. I think it is sexy as hell. People will buy them and boost the hell out of them, thought as it sits, would be a fun weekend car for autocross and just spirited driving. It's obviously not supposed to be a drag queen or rally car (like the other subaru brands). The boxer engine is a win, but just not a subie, I think it should've been a toyota (Not sure how the FT-86 is coming, or is that the scion I've seen?)

It's all Subie bro. Subaru developed the mechanical side of the car, Toyota the styling. This car is more Subaru than Toyota.

The benefit of this engine is the mounting points are just like the forester XT which is the similar mounting to the EJ engine. I wonder what the tuning capability will be using the Toyota direct injection, but if it uses subaru software that is similar to the STi then there will be a lot of support for this.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:19 AM
The cars are to have 200 HP, placing it above the miata and below the S2K. I hope it falls in the same place for price as well, low to mid 20's. I like it and am seriously considering it for my next car.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:58 PM
But it wont touch the weight of a Miata or S2K, and is a bigger/more practical car. They are totally different vehicles, why bother comparing? I don't get how comparing power numbers of light, nimble, 2 seats to a heavier 4 seat coupe get's you anywhere.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:45 PM
JL...
You're correct on the MX-5, but with the S2000, the BRZ and FR-S are very close in overall size/dimension.
S2000's External dimensions:
overall length (inches): 162.2
overall width (inches): 68.9
overall height (inches): 50.0
wheelbase (inches): 94.5
Weights: curb weight (lbs) 2,765

VS.
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
SUBARU BRZ Concept – STI - Specifications
Body size (Overall: Length x Width x Height): 166.7 X 70.9 X 50.4 inches
Wheelbase: 101.2 inch
Engine: Subaru BOXER “FA” engine - 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated four-cylinder Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine
Tire size: 215/45R18 (Front), 225/45R18 (Rear)

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:17 PM
Weight....... what does this thing weigh? Why has no one got a set number on that yet? It will really sway my opinion on wanting one in either direction.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, November 20, 2011 4:16 AM
It is being projected to be under 2800lbs range, but NO official numbers... yet. I'll keep you all posted when it's out.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Monday, November 21, 2011 5:18 AM
SEXY!...Just slow! ahahhaha Sexy tho...

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Monday, November 21, 2011 11:49 AM
Not to add fuel to the fire, but regardless of weight...
wheelbase (inches): 94.5 [s2000]
VS.
Wheelbase: 101.2 inch [BRZ]

...those are VERY different numbers.

But I would still argue that it's a sports car.

I have no signiture
Monday, November 21, 2011 12:06 PM
The BRZ has the two things that have prevented me from wanting a miata or an s2000, and thats rear seats and a permanent hard top.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:48 PM
Whalesac wrote:Not to add fuel to the fire, but regardless of weight...
wheelbase (inches): 94.5 [s2000]
VS.
Wheelbase: 101.2 inch [BRZ]

...those are VERY different numbers.

But I would still argue that it's a sports car.

Although true on that dimension, I was more focused on the overall in size-- bumper to bumper & door to door, not so much where the wheels are placed.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:47 PM
ugly

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:14 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:, not so much where the wheels are placed.

Which actually effects how it handles and drives, where "bumper to bumper, overall" dimensions do not.....

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:15 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

Which actually effects how it handles and drives, where "bumper to bumper, overall" dimensions do not.....

True. But, i was responding to your S2K dimension comparison, not anything on the handling aspect.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:02 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

True. But, i was responding to your S2K dimension comparison, not anything on the handling aspect.

It just brings me to my sports car argument. If its heavier than, lower in power, and handles worse than other sports cars, why the hell would I buy one and pay "sports car" insurance rates? Lol

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, November 28, 2011 1:19 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:The BRZ has the two things that have prevented me from wanting a miata or an s2000, and thats rear seats and a permanent hard top.

The Miata has an optional power hardtop.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Monday, November 28, 2011 4:52 PM
Jookycola wrote:
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:The BRZ has the two things that have prevented me from wanting a miata or an s2000, and thats rear seats and a permanent hard top.

The Miata has an optional power hardtop.

Technically, no Miata has ever come with a power hard top .

In any case... leafy did say "permanent." Among many other things, a solid roof increases the rigidness of a car, reduces road noise, and usually looks better to boot.

I have no signiture

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:15 AM
Update from Subaru...

Tokyo, November 30, 2011 - Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, announced its world premiere of “SUBARU BRZ (display model)” at the 42nd Tokyo 2011. (Open to public from December 3 to 11 at Tokyo Big Sight)

BRZ is a rear-wheel drive sports car featuring the Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine. It was developed as a joint-project between Subaru and Toyota Motor Corporation, to bring to the world a sports car with superior steering response and driving pleasure that everyone can experience. The Subaru Boxer engine in the BRZ was positioned even lower than other Subaru models so that the BRZ has one of the lowest possible centers of gravity s on the market today. This low center of gravity produces astonishing handling character and combined with a light-weight chassis BRZ realizes Subaru’s aim for “Pure Handling Delight” -- the taken to a new level.

Major Features
Concept
The product concept of BRZ is “Pure Handling Delight.” The Horizontally-Opposed Boxer engine has inherent qualities of low center of gravity,lightweight, and compactness. These attributes are maximized by placing this engine even lower and closer to the center of the chassis. These factors contributed to BRZ’s low center of gravity -one of the lowest possible. The BRZ is a fun sports car that any driver can enjoy driving with peace of mind.

Design
·“Ultra-low Center of Gravity Package”
The BRZ has a low-mounted Boxer engine on a specially designed sub-frame that forms an “ultra-low center of gravity package”. With this arrangement, BRZ achieved a low driving position typical of a sports car. Overall height of BRZ is 1,300 mm and it has a wide and low body of a stylish coupe at 1775mm. Yet, it allows for 2+2 seating and a trunk with ample space. Not only is the BRZ a sports car, but it can also be a suitable partner for long tours with its unexpected utility.

·Exterior
Subaru aimed for a sports car design that instinctively conveys the car’s fun-to-drive character. In addition, it was detailed to be instantly recognizable as a Subaru.

oFront fascia
The “ultra-low center of gravity package” also allowed a low hood design. This low hood and bulging front fenders raise expectations for the BRZ’s drivability. Also, to communicate the Subaru identity the Subaru six-star ornament, headlights and hexagon lower grille follow the Subaru design motif common across new Subaru models.

oSide
The low center of gravity enhances BRZ’s sensuous beauty with its shapely fender flares. The aesthetic beauty is combined with functional beauty that advances aerodynamics through such areas as the C-pillar shape, rear glass inclination, trunk layout. As would be expected from a sports car, the front and rear overhangs were shortened to express the BRZ’s liveliness. The front fender is accentuated with a distinctive garnish.

oRear fascia
The projecting rear wheel arches sit by way of contrast to the compact cabin and emphasizes the beauty of the BRZ’s rear view.

·Interior
Details were carefully designed to allow a new level of fun-to-drive experience in which the driver and vehicle become one.
- The steering wheel was made smaller to achieve sports car maneuverability.
- A tachometer with digitally displayed speedometer is placed in the center of the gauges so that the driver can instantly see information without diverting attention from the road.
- Bespoke sports car seats were designed to hold the driver and passenger and feature lowered sitting positions to match the “ultra-low center of gravity package”.

Mechanisms
·Engine
Making full use of the design concept of the new-generation Boxer engine, the newly developed engine made exclusively for the BRZ is highly efficient with superior output and environmental friendliness. It realizes an exhilarating high revving nature of a naturally aspirated sports engine.
- It has square bore and stroke of 86 X 86 mm.
- Due to the joint development with Toyota Motor Corporation, Toyota’s direct injection and port injection technology “D-4S” was incorporated in the BRZ’s power unit.
- To achieve the “ultra-low center of gravity package”, the engine as a whole has been made more compact by such means as adopting the shorter intake manifold and the shallower oil pan.

·Transmission
The joy of sports car driving was realized through a transmission that focuses on shift feel and response.
- The 6-speed MT employs a short stroke shift lever. The lever was optimized in rigidity, shift quality and weight application in its pursuit of a superb shift feel.
- The 6-speed AT has “S mode” for better shifting response and “M mode” for optional shifting. Also, with the paddle shift and downshifting blipping control, this model can respond faithfully to the driver’s inputs.

·Body
The lightweight yet highly-rigid body was developed exclusively to maximize the advantages of the “ultra-low center of gravity package”.
- Low center of gravity and low driving position were achieved by the perimeter type body frame layout.
- The body has a rigid and durable frame structure that also works in balance with the vehicle’s light-weight. The rigidity is optimized for high drivability and appropriate durability is maintained for collision safety.
- High tensile steel was used in the body to contribute to weight reduction. Effective use of this material in the upper structure of the BRZ contributed to its low center of gravity.
- The front hood employs aluminum for lightness. The structure was fine-tuned for a low styling that also improves pedestrian protection performance.

·Chassis
Excellent maneuverability and stability of the “ultra-low center of gravity package” offers direct and sharp response to steering and enhances driver’s connection to the car
- The front suspension employs struts for light-weight and high rigidity, while a double wishbone layout is adopted at the rear for better shock absorption.
- To gain a low front hood from the “ultra-low center of gravity package”, the front strut mount was lowered while maintaining the stroke.
- The tires are 215/45R17 combined with lightweight and highly rigid aluminum wheels.
- All models are equipped with electronic stability control to provide both driving pleasure and safety.

Major Specifications
Overall Length X Width X Height (mm) / (in)
4,240 X 1,775 X 1,300
170 X 70 X 52

Wheelbase (mm) / (in)
2,570 / 101

Curb weight (kg) / (lb)
1,220 / 2,689*1 *2

Maximum output (kw(PS)) / hp
147(200) / 200 *1

Maximum torque (N.m(kg.m)) / (lb/ft)
205(20.9) / 151 *1

Power unit
Engine
2.0-liter Horizontally-Opposed Boxer
Direct Injection engine

Transmission
6MT/E-6AT
Drive train

Rear-wheel drive
Suspension

front: strut / rear: double wishbone
tire size
215/45R17

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:18 AM
I wonder if it has a low center of gravity.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:28 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:
JLAudioCavalier wrote:

It just brings me to my sports car argument. If its heavier than, lower in power, and handles worse than other sports cars, why the hell would I buy one and pay "sports car" insurance rates? Lol

I hear what you're saying, but this car is a different category than the cars you mentioned and quite frankly for 2012 it's in a class of its own. I personally welcome these twins just because of key engineering points on these cars and they have huge potential.
I personally hope they price these cars appropriately and not because of novelty, or it's in a unique class.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:41 AM
I'll leave this here....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:41 AM
Attachments
MX5 vx BRZ vs gensis vs mustang.jpg (346k)

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search