Transporter's Passat - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transporter's Passat
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 10:37 AM
So, after I totaled the 1SV I was looking for something to just cruise around in for the winter, with enough pep not to be boring, but slow enough to keep me out of trouble. What I ended up with is an 01.5 Passat 1.8t 5 speed.

It's got some problems here and there, but it gets me to works and school every day, and its damn comfortable compared to a Cav, haha.

First thing I picked up is a set of Eibach Pro-kit springs and Pro Dampers locally on craigslist. Hard to turn down for $80...

Stock front spring on the top, Pro-kit on the bottom

Stock rear spring on the bottom

Pro-kit rear just has a slightly smaller wire diameter at the ends

So, now it's lowered

Picked up a set of snow tires on steelies this weekend, I'm planning on painting the rims on the car pretty soon here, followed by doing something stupid with the steelies

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Re: Transporter's Passat
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:24 AM
Good luck.... those v6s and electrical systems in that era passat are nightmares

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:27 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Good luck.... those v6s and electrical systems in that era passat are nightmares

Transporter7220 wrote:1.8t 5 speed.

But yeah, its definitely querky, haha. Nothing major, thought, its just switch backlighting and things like that.

It's a beater that will get me though the winter.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:43 PM
I disagree completely, the V6's are the better option but anything is better than the W8

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:46 PM
It's nice to get 30mpg on the highway with the 1.8t though, and an APR tune will take it to 200hp, good enough for a daily.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:07 PM
Haha my bad. I saw a passat and instantly assumed v6. Either way, keep an eye on silly things like the brake pedal turning on wipers and @!#$ lol.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 7:23 PM
nice!! im on passatworld and vwvortex all the time....
sold the sunfire and moved into the wifes old b5

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 3:34 PM
I hope you won't have all the problems I had with my GTi VR6. I had to get rid of the car or get follow an electrician course. lol
Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:23 PM
So I've been having some photoshop fun, trolling my local car forum, since quite a few of them get all bent out of shape when people slam their cars. I want coilovers so bad now...

And the winter setup

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:31 PM
o god....

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:31 PM
Bwahahahahahaha

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:09 PM
lol lowered it just in time to plow the snow with the front bumper!!!

not a bad beater, man.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:51 AM
Wheels = win lol

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, November 09, 2011 6:18 PM
my shocks are in need of replacing and i plan on going coils... i wont be dumping the car tho. lower to get rid of the 4x4 wheel gap and raise it back up for winters

Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:43 PM
I'm so jelly right now.. I love the Passat. And a stick, no less? You did good, sir. Hopefully the Passat didn't suffer as badly as the Jetta with the piss poor electronics. I know the early Mk4s had bad bad problems..

Godspeed.. B5 what exactly?

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Saturday, November 12, 2011 2:01 PM
Thanks man, its a bit quirky electronics wise, but nothing that'll strand you anywhere. Its little things like if I leave the lights on and open the door, it won't beep to warn me, but if I close the door and open it again it will start beeping, haha.

Little things that amuse me more than they annoy me.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:09 PM
that's because your door latch is craping out

Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:37 PM
Yeah probably.

Good news is the car has a wideband from the factory, so I'm going to be ordering a timing belt kit pretty soon here, and after that I'll be doing some tuning.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:20 PM
Passat 1.8t auto/tip

has projectors w/ HID's now but basically the same still.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:52 PM
oh god the blue wheels are ugly!!

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:57 PM
You know you love them.

Friday, November 18, 2011 6:02 PM
I ordered a timing belt kit from GAP yesterday, it showed up today so I started pulling the front end of the car off...

Plan is to replace all the belts, water pump, timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler pulley, thermostat and flush the coolant.

I didn't get very far tonight, but I'm going hunting in the morning so I had to call it a night pretty early, I should be able to hit it full force tomorrow afternoon.

Friday, November 18, 2011 7:06 PM
Good idea since it seems like a common thing for the timing belt to break. i looked on craigslist the other day for vw/audis and found a @!#$ load with broken timing belts.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3877823
Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:28 AM
Yeah it's quite common, and I'm about 1500 miles past due. I figured I should get it done with before I drive to Florida.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:29 PM
Were you at Wimpy's last week? Saw a lowered VW in the parking lot, but it was dark out...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search