Got some wheels for the BMW. - Page 3 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Got some wheels for the BMW.
Monday, January 30, 2012 1:34 PM
Looking great man!

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:12 PM
Looking good, I want to see them on the car now.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:38 AM
Any updates bro?

Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:32 AM
those are lookin mint man, still can't wait til they go on though, that cars gonna be killer.

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:57 AM
Thats hilarious you put them in the tub, whatever works hehe

Looks great

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, February 13, 2012 12:20 PM
Love those bro. Cant wait to see them on.

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:35 PM
Holy crap those look great!

RIP JessE -- You are not forgotten! | FaceBook | G+
Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:56 AM
Updates

Sorry for the long delay, but I ran into a few issues trying to put them on. First issue was that after getting the wheels done, I had to send one off to fix a bend in the barrel. Second, I had to order a jack pad because BMW's use weird jacking points underneath the car and a traditional jack can't be used without this adapter. I simply refuse to use the scissor jack.

I'm waiting for this to come from Amazon.

Also, I had to take a break from the car due to work being hectic. I was sent on a business trip for a week and it ate away at the time I wanted to spend working on the car. :/

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:24 AM
Yay or nay on the color?

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:08 AM
I'm really on the fence with this. It looks good but there is just something about it I can't put my finger on. 'm not a huge gold fan in general unless it is on blue like an sti, but it doesn't look bad either. People will probably say it's played out but I think they would look amazing in a satin black. Also, that is a huge lip.

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:33 AM
YAY!!! Looks awesome IMO

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:53 AM
they look great man, but have you thought of something more flashy like a royal metalic bllue or pearl white with cherry red calipers

Modding my j since I found the org
Friday, February 17, 2012 8:04 AM
Love the Staggered look! Nice wheels, gotta love aluminum!

I'm looking to get some staggered wheels for my G8. Stance SC-5 to be exact. :-)

Friday, February 17, 2012 8:44 AM
slvrblit wrote:YAY!!! Looks awesome IMO

Thanks, but I'm still not sold lol.

OhForKavy (WhiteKnightro) wrote:I'm really on the fence with this. It looks good but there is just something about it I can't put my finger on. 'm not a huge gold fan in general unless it is on blue like an sti, but it doesn't look bad either. People will probably say it's played out but I think they would look amazing in a satin black. Also, that is a huge lip.
Same here. I'm not sure if I like it or not. I honestly dont care for gold unless its on black on red. The lip? Yeah, it's very big. I love it

ROKN20S - aka JuicyJ wrote:Love the Staggered look! Nice wheels, gotta love aluminum!

I'm looking to get some staggered wheels for my G8. Stance SC-5 to be exact. :-)

I love aluminum too. It makes repairing very cost effective. I googled the Stance SC-5 and those will look awesome on the G8. Post pics if you get them!

alejandro davila wrote:they look great man, but have you thought of something more flashy like a royal metalic bllue or pearl white with cherry red calipers

Thanks. I wont be painting the calipers anytime soon. If I do, it will be black with BMW lettering. Also, blue/white wheels aren't in my taste bucket

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:22 AM
approved

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, February 17, 2012 10:12 AM
Just roll em'.

Friday, February 17, 2012 10:19 AM
On the fence

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, February 17, 2012 10:49 AM
I like it but I agree something isn't just right. I'm up to see a photo shop with the gold color matched to the car.

Friday, February 17, 2012 10:49 AM
On the fence.

Also can you get a bit of a better pic of the polish? It looks like you've missed the final step... they still seem hazy in that photo, even with the reflection of the phone.

What was the last step or two you did to polish them?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, February 17, 2012 11:19 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:On the fence.

Also can you get a bit of a better pic of the polish? It looks like you've missed the final step... they still seem hazy in that photo, even with the reflection of the phone.

-Chris-

2000grit and then aluminum polish

I will probably hit them again with 1000 and work my way up a second time. It's not a big deal really.

Friday, February 17, 2012 11:28 AM
Time for me to get a bimmer.

Friday, February 17, 2012 12:34 PM
Eternal wrote:
SweetnessGT wrote:On the fence.

-Chris-

2000grit and then aluminum polish

I will probably hit them again with 1000 and work my way up a second time. It's not a big deal really.

Are you doing it all by hand?

NO need to start over with the sanding I can see you've sanded them wonderfully they just need a final polish. You already did all the really hard and really sloppy work!

Just let me know if you're doing the polishing by hand or not, I'll try to give you some advice to take it to that final level that will knock your socks off.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, February 17, 2012 1:00 PM
I'm doing everything by hand. No power tools were used. All tips are appreciated

My right arm looks like this now LOL

Friday, February 17, 2012 1:39 PM
Man, you've done WELL for doing it all by hand.

Polishing is accomplished through heat and friction though... and your arm isn't going to be able to achieve that obviously.

Get two 4" buffing pads for a drill and a collet that will hold it... get your hands on a stick of #3 polishing compound and a stick of Jewlers Rouge.

Attach the first wheel to your drill and apply the #3 compound to it by running the drill and holding the pad against the compound stick... it will heat up and melt onto the pad. Now... take that to the rim and go to town, adding compound as necessary. You'll see a whole new shine come through and ALL sanding marks will disappear.

Wipe the rim clean with a tack cloth, get all the #3 compound off...

Put on the 2nd pad (always ALWAYS use a pad that matches the compound, don't mix) and do the same with the jewlers rouge.. this will give it a mirror appearance.

Finish off with Mothers mag & aluminum polish with a microfiber cloth. You can keep up the polished appearance easily with the mothers mag & aluminum and a powerball on a drill. Wax the polished area often to make sure brake dust won't stick to the aluminum or pit it.

Stand back and be stunned.

If you have any questions at all let me know! Be prepared to make a mess of the rims with the compound as it flies around... but don't fear it comes off with mild soap and gentle rubbing.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, February 17, 2012 4:52 PM
I would say color match the center of the wheel to the car. I just can't find myself liking the gold personally.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search