Motor swap or New Car? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Motor swap or New Car?
Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:31 AM
So my fiance and I both have a Lexus IS300. She has a brand new paint job on her car (well 2 years old) that she paid 6grand for and worth every penny. Konig wheels, tint, nice system, Altezza grill and thats it. Her interior is tan and pretty worn. The car is pretty damn solid and has been a champ. Down fall is it has 200k miles on it. it burns 2qt's of oil between oil changes. Its getting worn out. She loves the car and were deciding to either pull the motor and swap in a 2JZGTE (twin turbo) with a large single turbo conversion or call it quits and get a new car. I should mention the car is paid for. We have my car and our miata so while i'm swapping the motor we'd still have something to drive.

I'm just looking what some of you would do in this situation. What do you think? We have a few cars in mind. One of them being an Evo VIIII or a 08+ STI. So what do you guys think? Swap the motor and build the car or throw in the towel get something a little quicker better handling?

I should mention I have done extensive research on the swap. To do it right and the way I want for about 350+ whp and potential for more later on I'm going to spend 8 grand. Then we'd still have to lower it, better rims, interior swap.

Re: Motor swap or New Car?
Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:37 PM
I would base if off of how much she really likes the car. If she loves it like you say she does, then I'd do the swap. Its always better to drive something you love rather something "better."

Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:49 PM
2011 STi and slowly get everything for the swap.
Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:59 PM
Sell it to me and I'll pit a LSmotor in it

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:05 PM
Swap it. Having something more unique that is paid for is nice as opposed to paying on a car that could end up being a money pit.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:07 PM
No car payment is very nice. Also, if you are still looking at upgrading to an Audi, this would keep you with just one car payment. Debt is bad.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:33 PM
How about a fresh rebuild on the current engine? Isn't there a stroker kit or something you can do along with freshening it up while spending less than 8 large? If it were mine, i would want to get my money's worth out of the paint job.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:41 PM
Could freshen the motor that's in it up yes, but neither are really a big fan of the stock motor. There is a stroker kit but it's hella expensive and the 2jz doesn't do near as well without boost.

As for the 2011 sti we would go 08-10. After much reading the changes aren't enough to pay the high sticker price of a brand new sti. Biggest thing with the 11 is you can get the sti in a sedan but we both love the hatch.

The wagon would be on hold. We decided were not old enough and don't have a big enough family to go that old yet lol. A roomy 4 door will suffice just fine.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 8:56 PM
1UZFE?

2010 Honda Fit LX
Sunday, September 12, 2010 10:28 PM
If we kept the car it would be a 2jzgte vvti out of a aristo from japan. It's pretty much a direct swap. Same motor mounts and everything. A couple small mods. Biggest thing is relocating abs which isn't a big deal.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 11:56 PM
Hatch STi all the way...

Monday, September 13, 2010 6:08 AM
VIIII? lol

I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X

Monday, September 13, 2010 6:49 AM
Sorry it's suppose to be an 8 I got carried away lol.

Monday, September 13, 2010 8:24 AM
Post a pic of it

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:27 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:How about a fresh rebuild on the current engine?

Save your money, fix the car and drive it. Cars are a terrible investment. Put that money into your house or 401k.

Monday, September 13, 2010 12:46 PM
D.S.S. Cavalier wrote:
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:How about a fresh rebuild on the current engine?

Save your money, fix the car and drive it. Cars are a terrible investment. Put that money into your house or 401k.

Everyone knows a car is one of the worst investments there are. Being that this is a site dedicated to those who still choose to modify their cars and continue to enjoy this as a hobby I think it's safe to say there is no point on reminding them to invest their money elsewhere. At this point that is money they are already ok with allocating to their hobby.

Monday, September 13, 2010 1:38 PM
^^ not to mention they already have 6k into a paint job on a 200k mile old car. They are gonna have to drive it another 200k to recoup that lol.

Monday, September 13, 2010 8:34 PM
It didn't have 200k when she painted it lol. Someone backed into it and put a nice dent in rear quarter panel. She got insurance money and threw some on top for a nice full paint job.

Given I agree if she did sell it she won't get that money back but it will help sell. A clean car high mileage is going to sell a lot better than a rough looking one.

Monday, September 13, 2010 10:30 PM
new car! build this one on the side.

Monday, September 13, 2010 11:00 PM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:If we kept the car it would be a 2jzgte vvti out of a aristo from japan. It's pretty much a direct swap. Same motor mounts and everything. A couple small mods. Biggest thing is relocating abs which isn't a big deal.

2JZGTE is a nice engine. Makes big power easy, and it's virtually bulletproof. I would definitely go this route. Beats the @!#$ out of an STi or EVO in my books.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:53 AM
The decision is hers since it's her car. If she trades her car in obviously she'll get the new car. After looking more into the sti she's starting to like that idea. New engine doesn't mean it's a new car.

Obviously her car will become our primary car when we both go places. I'm fine either way but it's a lot less work for me lol. Sti could be a lot of fun. Lexus parts aren't cheap could get into a lot of money building her car up to what would be "done"

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:24 AM
An STi out of the box is fantastic. Handels great,has power and is a tank in the snow.

Can you tell I love subarus?
Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:21 AM
Subaru buuut of course I'm biased.. although the 2jzgte would be badass..

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:04 PM
Unless she tracks the car, I'm thinking she'll probably have more fun in a newer AWD car than a big turbo 2jzgte, regardless how much power it makes. I personally would probably go the 2jzgte route, though.

Out of curiosity, though, what makes the TT 2jz so much different than the NA one already in the car? My understanding was they are practically the same, with the exception of maybe some oil squirters and different CR.

I have no signiture
Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:17 PM
There isn't much difference. Oil squirters and CR. However rebuilds and turbo kits aren't cheap. By the time I was done I would have spent much more money. It's not like it would be any stronger bc a stock gte rods and pistons will hold more then enough for what I wanna make.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search