Trade my vert for a Fiero? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trade my vert for a Fiero?
Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-a4mak6-Y&list=UUWp6bjwBduWb7VymjZD5t5w

This guy is selling his car.. I'm considering a swap for "Christine" my L67-swapped 2000 Cavalier Z24 convertible... for this 88 Fiero GT with Northstar swap... whaddya think?

Re: Trade my vert for a Fiero?
Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:58 AM
It's not a bad Fiero, but I'm not a big fan of the Northstar engines. Really, it's up to you on what you do with your cars.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Saturday, May 04, 2013 10:35 AM
I would do it tomorrow. Verts are easy to find and since you already know how to do it you can do so again. A 300hp fiero is just silly to think about.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 2:29 PM
Thats a beautiful noise.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 3:09 PM
Fieros are nice but a paint to work on. I have an 87 fast back gt. impossible to work on the engine with it in the car. 88 is not a good year to pick for upgrades as the suspension , brakes , and other parts were changed and they do not make aftermarket parts for them. Everyone swaps the suspension, brakes, cradle to 87 and lower same with the headlights. 88 is the least favorable. North Star is probably one of the worst swaps as 3rd gen 660s or ls4 would be way better. It's is your choice just giving you my opinion.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, May 04, 2013 6:28 PM
Here's the thing.. if I had the time to do it, I'd swap the 'vert back to some form of daily driver-ish vehicle.. swap in an Ecotec, maybe a 3400... (basically something that can run on 87 octane) then get a Fiero and put an L32 or LS4 into it..

If I had the time. That's the problem. This Fiero is a turnkey ridiculously fast car... and at least it doesn't require 92 octane. And it would fit better in my small garage... plus, I could daily drive it if necessary without going broke.
Saturday, May 04, 2013 6:36 PM
Just to let you know the fiero is like 300 or 400lbs more then your cavalier. Not sure about the difference for the vert. Also the car is like 16ft long so its maybe a foot less, not much of a difference.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:35 PM
Curb weight, the convertibles stock are 2840 pounds. Coupe 2619, sedan 2676. So 221 pounds more than a coupe.. plus the 3800 and all. Fiero is about 2,700 pounds depending on the trim, though I'm sure the Northstar adds a few pounds!

Length wise, the Cavy is 180.7 inches, the 88 GT is 165.1 inches. That 15 inches would actually make a big difference in my garage... I've got width, but not much length.
Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:33 PM
Id go for it if you like it. If you want to modify it I would worry about it being an 88. Parts are extremely hard to find for that year, Like I said, brakes, suspension, cradle, headlights, are all different for that year compared to 84-87. You should read about them if you haven't over at Pennocks Fiero Forum http://www.Fiero.nl. Also remember if you have to do any maintenance on the engine besides and oil change you will most likely have to drop the whole rear cradle, suspension, engine, tranny, to do any work. I may have to do that because when I rebuild my top end of my engine I forgot to put 1 exhaust manifold bolt in and now I cannot get to it without dropping the cradle or removing the ac and starter.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 10:59 PM
Trade and don't look back!!
Saturday, May 04, 2013 11:27 PM
The build thread for this car is over on Pennock's... so yeah, I've read it. Basically, it's the same as my car but potentially streetable all year round... the 'vert is nice in the summer but it's a bitch any time it rains or snows. Not that I really need it during the winter tho... I always seem to have a winter beater!

I'd have the same issue right now with the 3.8L in the 'vert.. if I needed to do anything other than oil changes, it's gonna have to be taken out of the car. There's no room to work on anything.

Always had a thing for Fieros... for some strange reason. Probably the only thing NOT going for it.. if I get this, my daughter and wife could never come together with me at the same time...

Sunday, May 05, 2013 12:23 AM
That and the only thing you can haul is a 24in tv in the box since there is no room for anything in either trunk. So you cannot take it to the store. Also IT DOES NOT HAVE CUP HOLDERS lol.i made tha mistake 3 times now. 3 out of 4 of my cars have no cup holders.

Sunday, May 05, 2013 5:20 AM
A guy local to me has a red gt with basically the same setup as this guy. It is one bad ass machine, i would love to own one. However personally i wouldnt give my sunfire up to have it. But everyone feels differently about their cars. The only way im getting rid of mine would be for a TVR 2500m
Sunday, May 05, 2013 6:52 AM
Oh how I love fieros I would trade all my cars in a heartbeat for a nice one.

DRIVING FORCE FABRICATIONS (908)866-1882

Sunday, May 05, 2013 2:29 PM
Do it

Sunday, May 05, 2013 10:01 PM
Hauling stuff is no issue as the wife has an Equinox and my father in law has a big ass truck!

As I sort of said.. The alternative to trading the vert away.. because honestly I could never sell it (I don't think anyone would ever buy it for what I'd want for it!!) ... would be to get rid of my daily driver (05 Sunfire sedan) and buy a stock Fiero.. then de-mod the 'vert a bit (put an engine in that can run on 87 octane), and daily drive it again. Then mod the Fiero. Maybe the L67 in it.. maybe something else..
Monday, May 06, 2013 12:54 PM
I honestly wouldnt do it. Fieros are so cheap you can basically pick one up for scrap weight and do your own swap. Im not big on buying someone elses project. You usually end up fixing someone elses hidden hack job. I've seen some hack ass stuff done in Fieros. Add to that my disdain for Northstars.

Monday, May 06, 2013 2:43 PM
Yea, I am not a fan of 90* v6s, They are just not as good a 60* v6s. It it was a 3400,3500, 3900 I would be all over it.

Monday, May 06, 2013 6:12 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Yea, I am not a fan of 90* v6s, They are just not as good a 60* v6s. It it was a 3400,3500, 3900 I would be all over it.

Youre joking right?

Monday, May 06, 2013 7:31 PM
Not joking, check out mars_mans 3500 fiero on v6z24.com. He believe he made 225whp with a stock 3500.

Monday, May 06, 2013 7:51 PM
Wow... You realize that's a V8 in there right and has NOTHING to do with anything you're saying.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, May 06, 2013 7:54 PM
Nice, but somehow I see a future headache.....

http://www.autotalk.com/pictures/data/1536/medium/2005_Chevrolet_Cavalier_Xtreme_002_autotalk_com_.jpg
Monday, May 06, 2013 8:36 PM
He posted up above about the L67 with is a 3.8l 90* v6,. I know the northstar is a v8. I believe it is the only v8 that is transversely mounted besides the ls4 and is also DOHC. It is also only used in Cadillac besides I believe one Buick.

Thursday, May 09, 2013 12:02 PM
'88s are the BEST year! Sure, it's the only year with that suspension and brakes, but parts aren't as rare as you think. I've been into fieros for a long time (owned one for a short time in '99), my dad owned one right when they first came out, and now he has a '88 Formula with GT body panels, a turbo 3400, and a F23 Getrag.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:04 PM
I don't know a great deal about Fiero's but from my brief investigation into them a few years back, 88' was the only year with a proper rear suspension (rather than a hack-job FWD subframe from an econobox). The only benefit to the other earlier years I could tell was a larger engine bay for big engine swaps.

I have no signiture
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search