HP Tuners Software update - Page 3 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HP Tuners Software update
Monday, January 10, 2005 8:57 AM
sweet an update........ and my current laptop doesnt have a serial port, so the usb will work great for me......

<br>

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, January 10, 2005 9:15 AM
micotito wrote:What if i have already a serial port on my laptop.?

I believe they only run on RS232 right now, they are having issues with RS232 to USB convertors.

Quote:

I have a dell precision M50 with two beautifull serial ports waiting for this software, also I have been using autotap scanner and software very well with my car.

Great

Quote:

Can I use this software with my autotap cable.?

No, their cables are specially developed to be coded to the car and have a lot more memory than any other available cable so it can flash the PCM and account for power outages. The software will not work with any other cable.

Quote:

Why donīt you release a version with serial support only.

See above, I believe they don't have USB support. Its not as simple as "just release a version", things have to be reprogrammed. I'm sure its on the list. People have been having luck with some higher priced RS232 to USB convertors.

Quote:

Iīm am rebuilding my LD9, so I hope this come out before I finish my setup. and change to and OBDI..

Good luck..

<br>

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, January 10, 2005 12:15 PM
Shifted (KickAzz) wrote:
protomec wrote:I followed yuor advice and checked the forum.
All I can see is that v1.5 was just realeased 2months ago.
Then v1.6 was supposed to be released in Dec.
then HP said....
Quote:

Guys, 1.6 won't be available before Christmas. We tried like hell to get things done but likely it will be a week or so after. We hit a couple of issues in the features we want to deliver, nothing major, just things that take some time... also some guy decided December was a good time to have a baby

So i'm thinking...
v1.7????
v1.8????
v1.9????
v2.0????
4cyl support for v2.0?

I'm starting to think cars will fly before this ever happens. I'm not trying to excessively flame HP or you (Robo) because several other tuning software companies have been promising the same for even longer. Just venting.
I posted the question on their forum.

Not neccessarily true. As a software developer myself, I often skipped the minor version numbers, since this is usually how versions work:

Major Version | Minor Version | Build Number

So...

If there is enough of a change to warrant an increase in the Major version, they will skip right to that. You can easily go from 1.5 to 2.0.

this is very true!! dont get hung up on intermediate numbers guys!!

this really could be the best thing to happen to J-Bodies since ive been following the scene. i think this software with the new 2.0 crate eco would make the killer street boosted cav that many of us are looking for. also with how cheap the new cavs are it will be affordable as well. talk about performance/$. i highly anticipate seeing this software hit the market. good luck guys!

also i know i asked this before but how is this software coded? which languages/frameworks? sorry, but i never got an answer. i just wondering since i could do a "get it to work on mac" depending, so people who have one dont need to waste money on an extra X86 machine if they dont have to. also i could help with linux as well. anyway keep up the good work. <br>

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Monday, January 10, 2005 12:21 PM
JRobz-

The software is most likely developed on a couple different platforms. The low level drivers are probably written in ASM, the cable firmware is written in an odd form of IBM Assembly. The interface is probably written in C++. I don't believe they use any .NET stuff, but if you would like to help me out in writing a .NET scanner/flasher, check out http://www.obdproject.com and throw me an email.

<br>

Monday, January 10, 2005 9:58 PM
Quote:

flash the PCM and account for power outages

Power failure during a code reflash can be fatal to the pcm, regardless of cable construction. If the programming event is interrupted, critical boot code in the pcm may be missing or corrupt, requiring open heart surgery of sorts.

I believe that HPTuners allows you to update calibration data only, leaving the pcm code intact.

Quote:

Can I use this software with my autotap cable.?

Communications between the pcm and the programming device involves some critical handshake events and exchanged words. Data timing is _extremely_ important. AFAIK, anyone offering GM VPW reporgramming capability uses dedicated hardware of some type for this job because it cannot be left to USB or serial port hardware alone. Again, the answer is "no."

-->Slow
Monday, January 10, 2005 10:15 PM
I meant power outages on the computer side, or communications loss like the computer freezing

Its really not about the handshaking and exchanged words, its more about the cable being able to handle the high speed data mode required to reflash the PCM, and the cable having enough memory to be able to account for the busy little bus that it operates on.

The only really difficult part to reprogramming the tables on the PCM is to figure out the algorithm for the Seed/Key pair values, and then throw the PCM into high speed mode and start sending packets at the cable. The cable needs to take care of waiting for its turn on the bus, and back buffering data, which is why the cable is special and can't be any other cable. Not to mention that the software is keyed to the cable

<br>

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 9:26 AM
1. Keith Foerst (RenegadeZ24)
2. Phil gruver (quickblackecotec)
3. Ron Beyer (Shifted)
4. Chad K (FstCavZ24)
5. Adam Coleman (NJ's Honda Killa)
6. Scott C (evil monkey)
7. Roy P. (04sunfiresleeper)
8. Ryan (Darkstars)
9. Thomas (Redd214)
10. Scot Kintz (Oldsman1)
11. Alex Kalinowski (SappyL61)
12. Zach Hilton
13. maurice davis (novaracer)
14. Devin Michael ( boostincav)
15. Dave D (daveo) 99z24
16. Jimmy Yahn (wayfastwhitey)
17.Erik Przygoda (trucavypwr98
18 Joseph Fitzwater (same) this would be nice
19. Brandon Spoutz (CayenneRedZ24)
20. eric remboldt (97cavie24ls)
21.Justin Dorosh (Manitoba Motorsports)
22. Derek K. (DerekZ24)
23.Nathan C. (sentinel)
24. Kurt Workman (kflo)
25. Bryan Kroeker (z22styles)
30. <br>

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 12:34 PM
There's some real good info in this thread! I can't wait for this to be released as bad as the next guy, but why does every thread about this software turn into a "signup sheet"? <br>

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
'01 SFGT springs $50CAN
Fidenza Flywheel '00-'02 2.4 (getrag) $300CAN
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 1:13 PM
So we can show them there is still a LOT of interest in thier product, and to help push them a bit faster.

<br>

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 1:38 PM
Just so you guys know.. there are some other software companies following in HPT's footsteps - they have flat out refused to do anything for 4 cylinders.

btw.. the new Chevy High Performance mag has an article about HP Tuners.. I haven't seen it yet though..

<br>

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 1:41 PM
Us GM 4cyl guys are always shafted when it comes to PCM tuning

<br>

Tuesday, January 11, 2005 2:21 PM
^^^ agreed
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 3:47 PM
so not even an aproximate date then? if it will be out this spring i will hold off and get it, if not im gonna order a tech3 real soon, so an aproximate release date would be great
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 3:56 PM
I am interrested in the software. I read the article in Chevy HP, they are going to do a series of articles on HP tuner. Its V-8 stuff but interesting anyway. Greg
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 6:36 PM
Shifted wrote:
Quote:

I meant power outages on the computer side, or communications loss like the computer freezing

That makes more sense. The only true way to prevent a problem is to make the "cable" an independent piece of hardware, able to carry out the programming function with or without the laptop. But then you've built a "programming device" not a cable.

Quote:

The only really difficult part to reprogramming the tables on the PCM is to figure out the algorithm for the Seed/Key pair values, and then throw the PCM into high speed mode and start sending packets at the cable.

Lol!! Don't you think that's about like "The only difficult part of winning the race is figuring out how to come in first."? It's been a while since I helped with OBDII. But there's been a lot of work done to allow what's possible now. Once upon a time, several folks (a small few) were working on determining what was needed to convince the pcm that it should talk in high speed mode. Specially designed hardware to intercept Tech-2 programming, persistent scope work, and lotsa patience were required at the time that I first "spoke" to Keith P. Since then a number of people have joined the effort. And some interesting information has managed to float around the 'net, which imo appeared to do wonders for the OBDII programming effort. Now there's a growing need for anyone willing to "hack" a calibration, just as it should be.

And Robogeek wrote:
Quote:

Just so you guys know.. there are some other software companies following in HPT's footsteps - they have flat out refused to do anything for 4 cylinders.

Robogeek, is this true? Can you mention a company name? The company that I'm aware of hasn't refused to do the 4 cyl's, they've only said "we haven't done anything with those vehicles yet."

-->Slow
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 9:38 PM
regarding the other companies issue there is a company called Fuel Injection Specialties out of San Antonio, TX that is actually WANTING to get into tuning the Eco ECU's. they get alot of calls about it from locals there that do the sand hill racing with the engine and the company is very interested into seeing what can be done with it. <br>

04 sunfire auto 16.3@82.5.................for now
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 10:06 PM
OK, I have an 03' Sunfire now, so I would really, really, like to know where HPT is at in the developments stages. Not that it matters, i am gonna have to be stuck waiting for them anyways...Prz <br>

Wednesday, January 12, 2005 4:56 PM
This is getting me excited about boosting my ecotec, i hope it comes out soon!

3. Ron Beyer (Shifted)
4. Chad K (FstCavZ24)
6. Scott C (evil monkey)
8. Ryan (Darkstars)
9. Thomas (Redd214)
12. Zach Hilton
15. Dave D (daveo) 99z24
22. Derek K. (DerekZ24)
23.Nathan C. (sentinel)
24. Kurt Workman (kflo)
26.James Kellough (Cavalier Kellough- scorpio1)
<br>

Wednesday, January 12, 2005 10:22 PM
sadly, i have a hard time this ecu program will be out in my lifetime......it just seems way to good to be true.

Now spose this program were to come out....would there be an application for the 2200 engine. (w/ a 3 speed)

Don't laugh, cause i don't have the 2.4l....lol....i love my lil turtle

3. Ron Beyer (Shifted)
4. Chad K (FstCavZ24)
6. Scott C (evil monkey)
8. Ryan (Darkstars)
9. Thomas (Redd214)
12. Zach Hilton
15. Dave D (daveo) 99z24
22. Derek K. (DerekZ24)
23.Nathan C. (sentinel)
24. Kurt Workman (kflo)
26.James Kellough (Cavalier Kellough- scorpio1)
27.Alex B. (importfighter22)
Wednesday, January 12, 2005 11:35 PM
shouldnt it work for all obdII <br>

Thursday, January 13, 2005 12:16 AM
Not necessarily...

Just because its OBD-II, doesn't mean the memory is all laid out the same. As long as you can determine where in memory the tables are, and where the tables need to get put back to, then you should be able to reprogram it (with the figuring out of the Seed/key pairs). Problem is getting those addresses and testing that they flash correctly.

I'm tired of waiting, so I'm working to write my own software to reflash the PCM's. Anybody who knows programming or the car computer system and wants to join me is welcome to, link is under my sig. I'd love to get a bunch of PCM's for bench testing, so if anybody has some they want to donate, give me an email.

I'm having a lot of fun with this so far, there are a bunch of things I have in the works even if I can't get a reprogrammer finished, and these are starting out tailored to the J-Body market.

<br>

Thursday, January 13, 2005 2:18 AM
I'll pull some PCM's out of some Junkyard cars this weekend how many you want LOL! <br>

Thursday, January 13, 2005 8:46 AM
Well, to start off with I need one from a 00-02 2.4L Auto, and then probably an Eco.

Let me know what you find, that would be awesome.

<br>

Thursday, January 13, 2005 12:39 PM
Well i used to work at a junkyard. But the winters are to harsh to stay up there. But maybe i will go back in the spring. If you still need some parts, let me know. If there is any motor damage, we scrap everything, so in other words, FREE FREE FREE...Prz <br>

Thursday, January 13, 2005 12:53 PM
Finding one for an echo is going to be literally impossible around here. Even the 00-02 2.4L will be a tough one to find. I'll keep my eyes peeled and if i find one or two i'll snatch them for you. <br>

Start New Topic Advanced Search