ODB1 ECU Project - Page 6 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: ODB1 ECU Project
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:37 AM
LOL

If you look at the F1, you will find it's an exact copy of the $36 with an offset of 1000 more hex. It starts at 4000 vs 3000 that the $36 starts at. Everything else is perfect.

I do not have a xdf for the $f1 yet, but i could easily build one.

Thanks for the hosting space, i'll forward you the project files. I'd like to see if we could get more of the J community involved in refining the beta files and completing the decryption of the $36 bin. We've got a lot of work done on it, but it does need more. My idea behind a custom os would be to more bring this pcm in line with what the megasquirt can do since it comes factory on the 95's, is cheaper than a megasquirt, and theoretically can be used to control a boosted engine if completely disassembled.

I will look into developing the $f1, but have no testbed to test on.

Also i have datalogging with scannerpro up and running

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 10:07 AM
my inbox is still empty....

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:54 AM
C Smyth wrote: LOL

If you look at the F1, you will find it's an exact copy of the $36 with an offset of 1000 more hex. It starts at 4000 vs 3000 that the $36 starts at. Everything else is perfect.

I do not have a xdf for the $f1 yet, but i could easily build one.

Thanks for the hosting space, i'll forward you the project files. I'd like to see if we could get more of the J community involved in refining the beta files and completing the decryption of the $36 bin. We've got a lot of work done on it, but it does need more. My idea behind a custom os would be to more bring this pcm in line with what the megasquirt can do since it comes factory on the 95's, is cheaper than a megasquirt, and theoretically can be used to control a boosted engine if completely disassembled.

I will look into developing the $f1, but have no testbed to test on.

Also i have datalogging with scannerpro up and running

I haven't looked at the $F1 yet myself, although I did try to get it from TC the other night (link broken).
I'm willing to get it and look at it, but I doubt it has any bearing on a 95 2.3 bin.
I am willing to help in any way you want if I am capable.

sig not found
Friday, March 28, 2008 6:44 PM
update??? wheres the files???

Thursday, May 08, 2008 1:10 AM
Hi I just joined in I have a 95 Z24 man with the 16196285 ECM...I just got done building a 2.4L Block with the complete 086 Head and Cams and lots of other things....Id really like to tune this car but im just not sure how cuz everyone keeps telling me i cant with the OBD1...??? So ill keep watching ur guys progress....
Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:43 AM
You can tune it.
You just need some basic equipment for www.moates.net and tunercat

Tuning is fully possible already. What we are discussing here are different options that are still being worked out for other software/hardware.

sig not found
Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:29 PM
Majik,

Many apologies I havnt been at my laptop for a while.

Richard, you can tune it. It's just that the files are not mainstream yet. I have been refining the .xdf's and am waiting for Mark Mansur to release the next major version of tuner pro rt with integrated datalog and scanner.

For tuning this pcm you will at the very least need a Burn1 and a GM PCM Kit. If you email Craig and tell him I sent you, he can get you setup. Now if you want to do more advanced tuning, and dont want to rip into the ecu each time to make changes you will need an autoprom. Its about 300 or so dollars, but well worth it.

I run an autoprom on my J with a lot of success. I've dug pretty deep into the pcm so i've gotten farther than tunercat.

Protomec: I heard recently that tunercat has stopped release on the F1 and 36 files because they had issues with tunercat. If you can confirm that would be great.

I am hesitant to release my beta files just yet to the general public, becuase i can't be sure all the tuning values are correct. If anyone has a test bench setup, i'd be willing to send the files to you and research this together. Most all of my testing has been done on car, with simple test equipment in place of actual sensors, rather bothersome but it gets the job done.

Richard, if your willing to be a tester, and buy all the equipment to run on your car i'd be happy to send you what i got for software.

You'll also need a wide band o2, craig has a good deal on these, as well as some guages he builds in house. The autoprom will read the input on the wideband also, so you can datalog it. I am in the process of narrowing down the code in the pcm related to o2 sensor readings, so that we can modify it for wideband..

Now i'm really close to a custom OS scenario, I really just need some more time and a test bench to probe for io addresses and a better understanding of the current pcm software.
Thursday, May 08, 2008 6:24 PM
The only problem is i really dont know anything about tuning i can build motors all day but when it comes time to tune i have no idea....ive learned from old school v8s and such so ive never had a chance to learn about tuning...Im really interested in just finding somethin that can get rid of my top speed and rev limiter....also have something that would set the fuel and spark closer to my set up...
Thursday, May 08, 2008 6:50 PM
no problem, i have not played with the files you sent me yet as the car is not ready. should be within the next month tho.

Friday, May 09, 2008 3:24 PM
C Smyth wrote: Protomec: I heard recently that tunercat has stopped release on the F1 and 36 files because they had issues with tunercat. If you can confirm that would be great.

I don't know of anything like that.
$36 and $F1 can still be ordered on his site.

$F1 is now rev. E and $36 is now rev. B

Rev.B (2007) is about 1 yr. newer than A (2006) and I had only been using A till today.

I have no idea about what has changed.

sig not found
Friday, June 06, 2008 12:20 AM
Does anyone have F1. If it's at REV E. perhaps it has many updates.

I can translate REV E updates to the $36.

Friday, June 06, 2008 10:09 PM
Chris, the $36 file you sent me was able to read my OE prom, and flash a OE program to a 27SF512 chip, but for some reason, as soon as i changed anyone thing, it would not get spark or fuel, yet the pump would turn on. have you had any sort of issue with this on your end? also i got cavfan to burn me a HO injector tune, and a brown top tune, (Tod i still have the prom you gave Brian, haven't done anything with it as of yet) but for some reason the $36 from you will not read cavfan's proms.....

I still feel REALLY DUMB when it comes to this....

sorry for ranting..

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, June 06, 2008 10:51 PM
I am working on a tuning guide for our pcm's.

When writing custom changes you need to either 1 recalculate the checksum, which normally tunerpro can do, but i have to figure out the dataspace to have it calculate or change the code mask to AA.

Once i get the checksum calculation working, things will be smoother, i've just ran into some issues with checksum calculation.

I will update the forum soon.
Saturday, June 07, 2008 10:31 PM
UPDATE:

I've come across a key piece of research that I needed to redevelop the tunerpro files. On top of that, Tunercat released a revision of their file from which i have been able to use some of the information to tweak the tunerpro files.

Credit goes to tunercat for closer tweak values. We are really close to full understanding of this pcm and a custom os now.

I will be releasing beta 4 to thoes who request it and have experience tuning the J.

If you find a bug and would like to report that would be greatly appreciated.
Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:36 AM
I recommend getting the checksum calculation working if you haven't already. It's just very good practice to use the c/sum to verify your cal.

-->Slow
Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:17 PM
Yea definately. I'm having trouble understanding where the start and end values of the checksum are calculated from. It's not like the C4 PCM. I am thinking they start at 3000 and go to 10000 or FFFF, but when i tried of course tunerpro couldn't calc checksums.

You can also set the Code mask to AA that will bypass checksum calculation, for now at least until i get it figured out.
Monday, June 23, 2008 7:40 PM
Chris, Your updated $36 works GREAT, but it still wont let my car start, from what i can tell its not turning the injectors on.

i did notice the cheeksum changes when ever i make any kinda change, could this be causing it not to run?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:14 AM
For now change the code mask to AA that will allow the car to start without the checksum routine.

I am working on a proper checksum routine, but am having an issue with how this pcm calculates checksum, it's not like the C4.
Sunday, June 29, 2008 4:25 PM
IT WORKED.

Thank YOU.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 7:44 PM
so, anyone have some "random" 2 bar shizzle for this prom i could use more to build on one that a kind sir was nice enough to give to the us.....

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:34 PM
ok i've read the whole thing and it's all greek to me. i suppose i need to crawl before i can walk' that being said can someone help me out here and give some advise as what to read so i can educate my self on this and understand whats going on plz?

When in doupt, grub.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:44 PM
Greg,

If your truly interested read up on diyefi and also learn about spark and fuel tables.

Honestly if your green and not really famaliar with afr's, spark or fuel tables you might want to do a LOT of researching before using a tool like this, as it could cause you to blow up an engine or 2.

I would highly advise jumping on over to the LS1 and quad 4 forums, as well as reading up on the HPT forums on here too.
If you have any general questions like, "how to fake a 2 bar tune" i'd be happy to help you with thoes....

I will not answer any, "How do i remove rev limit" questions unless it is authorized by the moderators of this board. I am definitely not interested in getting thread locked.

That being said do you have any general questions you want to ask?

greg wrote:ok i've read the whole thing and it's all greek to me. i suppose i need to crawl before i can walk' that being said can someone help me out here and give some advise as what to read so i can educate my self on this and understand whats going on plz?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:21 PM
rev limit....

whats that?!

lol

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Friday, August 22, 2008 2:49 AM
Question: What is the advantages of double fire vs single fire mode?

I've found a way to fool the pcm into never entering single fire mode or staying in single fire mode and was wondering if we could possibly eliminate some code space in the pcm itself by eliminating a un-needed fire mode.
Friday, August 22, 2008 1:16 PM
... Is single fire mode, only firing one injector driver? Or one injector its self...like a 2.4/2200?

If so, double fire mode is firing all four injectors at once?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search