tune or chip? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tune or chip?
Saturday, February 06, 2016 2:11 PM
I have a 2.2l in my 99 s10 with a volvo tdo4 turbo running 7psi. I am currently using stock engine management and it runng pretty good but I'd like to get a bit more out of it. From what I have been told the stock injectors should keep up with 7psi. I'm question is....would a chip such as a Jet performance 6pack do me any good or do I really just need to spend the $ and have this thing tuned ? The chip will cost me about 1/2 the price of the $650 dyno tune. It's important to note that this is not for race use. This is just a daily driver to have fun with while driving so reliablity is must. My biggest issue with it is when I hit the gas hard it spots and spudders a bit until the boost takes over and even then it still has some harsh lag. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: tune or chip?
Saturday, February 06, 2016 2:43 PM
Wasting your money on a chip wont do anything
Saturday, February 06, 2016 5:44 PM
You don't have a choice. Some PCMs have to be chipped in order to be tuned and others have to be reprogrammed. For Cavaliers OBD1 cars(up to 95) have to have custom chips written and physically installed in the PCM. While with OBD2 cars(97+) you cannot disassemble the PCM and have to be tuned with HP Tuners. Going by the years that GM swapped the J-bodies over to OBD2 I am ASSUMING that your S-10 is OBD2 which means that it'll need to be tuned with HP Tuners. You'll need to install a wideband ASAP. Driving it without being able to monitor AFRs is extremely dangerous. You also need to keep your fuel injectors at or under a 85% duty cycle to keep them happy. Anything over that an you technically need larger injectors.

Sunday, February 07, 2016 4:16 AM
Thank you
Sunday, February 07, 2016 12:51 PM
Any opinion on running an fmu vs. A tune? . I have heard of some guys Doing this
Sunday, February 07, 2016 1:44 PM
milo guzman wrote:Any opinion on running an fmu vs. A tune? . I have heard of some guys Doing this

It has been done, but does not account for timing. Tune is the way to go.

FU Tuning

Sunday, February 07, 2016 2:21 PM
Thanks again. Before I send her off for tuning I'd like to ask you more question. This is a remote mount set up I using a 2.5" pipe to connect the manifold to the turbo. Whats your opinion on that diameter pipe? I chose this because it was the closet match in size to the t3 rectangle flanges I used but at least one person has said I may be better off with a smaller diameter .
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search