How to: 2003 Sunfire LED Taillights - Page 2 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How to: 2003 Sunfire LED Taillights
Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:37 PM
DavefromEngland wrote:hmmmmm wonder how they would look with red lenses?

Exactly what I was wanting to do. Red and smoked lenses.

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:47 PM
what about a led taillamp for 1995-1999 cavaliers that would be even hotter nice job
Monday, November 24, 2008 9:29 PM
Did you have to use a low load flasher? I heard changing to LED turn signals often don't trigger the normal flasher because of the lower load. Did you have any problems or how did you fix it? Thanks for the insperation, I am going to attempt this in a few weeks on my 01 cavalier euro tails.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 8:46 PM
Any updates? How did you set the LED's in there? I don't understand what
Quote:

Push into reflector assy. till it seats one the screw bases.
I take that to mean you just pressed them in. Can you elaborate please.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 9:20 PM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:Any updates? How did you set the LED's in there? I don't understand what
Quote:

Push into reflector assy. till it seats one the screw bases.
I take that to mean you just pressed them in. Can you elaborate please.

It is just as you interpreted it I believe. Once you wrap the perimeter of the LED assembly with the weather tape you evenly press it in until the light sites on the reflector screws.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 9:23 PM
Also notice that where the reflective dish screws into the assembly there is a small lip which also probably helps with setting the LED. I haven't tried this yet, but this is how I think it works. Probably going to give this a shot during the Christmas break when the car is put in the garage.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 6:18 PM
Thats what I was thinking, I am just trying to clear some things up before I start my project, which I hopefully am going to start this project as soon as I can go grab an extra set of tails from the junk yard to put on the car while I mess with my aftermarket ones. Depending on how well the LED's fit, I may lay a small bead of black silicone adheasiveon the backside/ back corner of the weatherstrip I wrap it with, for extra piece of mind.

Any clerification on the flasher?

Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:28 PM
yes, one you wrap the weather strip around it to make it snug you push it down till it seals on the old screw bases, that also makes sure its fairly square. I put big globs of hot glue on them before i pushed them in and followed up woth more hot glue around most of the back.

Also on the flasher, it works with the stock flasher, remember these are self contained assemblies made for upgrading semi trailers.

These things work flawlessly, and I have receive SO many compliments on them.
Thursday, December 18, 2008 8:31 PM
And yes the lit up images are with just the tail lights on.
Monday, December 29, 2008 8:10 AM
i'm going to be attempting to try this in the apc sunfire tails for the 95-02 but i'll be using the red lenses with nightshades so i hope there bright enough ....nice write up...

"If you have no clue what's going on... STFU!"
Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:36 AM
My 95-02 APC tailight lenses measure 4 1/2 inches. Is there a way to fill the 1/4 inch gap?

Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:28 PM
Got at pic? Just wondering if they are like mine. I am going to start working on getting the leses off my tails tomorrow after work. I finally got around to getting stock tails to use while I am doning this and I hope to get going on it.

Monday, January 12, 2009 11:15 PM
I took off the lenses off my tail lights tonight:

The first lense came off cleanly, but the second one wasn't so lucky. Thank fully its only cosmetic and I will be able to reatach 3 of the 4 chips but it still sux.

I did run into a snag. There are no screws holding the red cover over the bulb. Instead there are these metal pin and a plastic latch:

I know the pics aren't great so I tried to draw a picture. There is no screw head or anything to sugest its anything but pressed in.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the metal pegs out? They are directly above the plastic clips. The plastic clips don't budge so I think the metal pegs have to come out, just not sure if they have to be pushed through or pulled out. I don't care if I destry the red plastic bulb cover, I would just like to premove it cleanly if possible so I don't risk destroying the housing.

Not sure how many others have done this but thanks for any help.

Shawn M.

Monday, January 12, 2009 11:29 PM
Sorry for the double post but I can't find a website I found a while ago. It has clear tail light lenses on it. Anyone know the site I am talking about or simply where I can get some?

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:28 PM
They were indeed screws, I got them out and I got the red bulb cover off. But now I have new problems,the LED's are a smidge to big, half a milimeter to a milimeter. Its the vertical dimention, I think I am going to try and sand the sides down to try and get it to fit.

On another note I am continplating leaving the lenses off. The peterson LED's are fully sealed and weather proof so there is no water issues. What do you guys think?

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:54 PM
Shawn,

Please keep up the good work. I have the Peterson led's on order for my black, carbon fiber and chrome versions of the APC lights.

I am following your progress with great interest.

Jack
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:54 PM
To stop the thread jacking I created a new thread to show my progress. Here is the link to my new thread, 01 Cavy LED tail lights

Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:06 AM
Hey Jack, thats what I used the weather strip for, to take up the gap and make a snug fit.

Shawn I got the info you wanted, Ill post it in your thread.
Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:26 AM
Has anyone tried something like this with the 98 tails?..
currious as to how it would look or how possible it is, I know just about everything is possible but its a matter of how easilly.. if not tried already I may give it a try sometime in the near future..

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:19 PM
late post haha, but i have done something similar with mine, took out the reflector inside the tail lamp, and painted the sides of the housing back on the inside. i used the optix l.e.d. strips as turn signals, with normal brake lights and red reverse lenses. looks slick, but almost stock. i love it.

and i know i need pictures of them lit up, so i'm going to the garage right now, ha ha..

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:43 PM
I like how this went from a "how-to" topic about the 03 Sunfire tails to posting pics of Cavi tails. lol Just thought I would point it out.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:47 PM
not to threadjack, but i just figured i would post what i did, and put more ideas into one post.

all lit up...

i took the pics when the turn flashed

Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:21 AM
My thread is on blocks in the low end for sure! Jacked!
Monday, March 29, 2010 6:39 PM
any chance of getting the pic links fixed?

Monday, March 29, 2010 7:22 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search