All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks - Page 5 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks
Monday, April 21, 2008 4:50 PM
i have an 05 when i cut the wire, would i connect to the 2 1/2 wire on the bcm or the wire that would be now cut from the bcm?

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:57 PM
Ground the side of the wire that is to the BCM. Tape off the other side (that comes from the headlight switch).

Thursday, May 01, 2008 5:36 PM
John Lenko wrote:Ground the side of the wire that is to the BCM. Tape off the other side (that comes from the headlight switch).

@!#$ i did this and the drls dont come on but my brights say they are on from the dash but my headlights wont work at all i need help bad please

***Looking for a BLUE 03+ STOCK cavi wing pm me if ya got one you wanna sell***

Thursday, May 01, 2008 5:52 PM
Sounds like you grounded the wrong side. Switch it.

Sunday, June 01, 2008 11:19 AM
I READ THE 1ST POST, I HAVE A 98 AND WANT TO DISABLE MINE, what is the topper pad?
Thanks
can you just drive around with the e-brake up one notch, i know there would be a dash light one, or does it start digning and making noises over a certain speed?

98 j-body sedan

Sunday, June 01, 2008 4:37 PM
Topper pad = dash pad = the upper part of the dash in a Sunfire .

I would just go ahead and disable them the "right way" then you won't have to worry about any lights or noises. It only takes a few minutes to get the dash pad off to gain access to the gauge cluster.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 4:18 PM
Any pics someone can post of the dash pad? sorry, i just not sure the dash part you speak of, not the plastic piece that runs in front of the windshield that pops out? Are we talking about the big part of the dash surrounding the passenger side air bag?
Thanks

98 j-body sedan

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 5:08 PM
The big part of the dash that surrounds the gauge clutser and passenger side airbag and holds the four air vents. Search around here and you will find directions on how to remove it. It's extremely easy and can be done in about 15 minutes. Then just unplug the wiring harness from the back of your gauge cluster and follow the instructions on which wire to cut and all. Easy as pie and no warning lights.

Monday, June 23, 2008 11:16 AM
thanks guys. mine look good. now time for hids on my fogs. when i first used the quick splice connect, i didnt work. i hate those things. so just wired the wires to ground. does the job.

ECOtec DOHC

Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:25 PM
hey,

new to the car world . iv got a 1989 z24. and you know im just lokking to make some freinds to help me out with some stuff . im looking for some methods or even some new lights( front a tail) just to make my baby look a little better any sites or tips.?
Monday, July 07, 2008 7:28 AM
adam mesta wrote:hey,

new to the car world . iv got a 1989 z24. and you know im just lokking to make some freinds to help me out with some stuff . im looking for some methods or even some new lights( front a tail) just to make my baby look a little better any sites or tips.?

Check out v6z24.com .

Saturday, July 12, 2008 7:27 PM
thanx for the how to worked great on my 01 base cav

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Sunday, July 13, 2008 9:42 PM
Ok ,since I forgot about this thread...

Best I could come up w/ for a parking light DRL mod that'll work w/ no known problems

1) Disable real DRLs using the appropriate method above.
2) Get a 5 pin relay and harness
3) Run a fused wire from a "hot in run" wire (O2 heater wire works... the brown one) to pin 85 of your relay
4) Run a fused wire from a 12+ constant source to pin 30 of your relay
5) Ground for the relay is pin 86
6) Run a wire from pin 87 of your relay to each brown wire on the parking light, tap this in parallel. You will need to retain the rest of the wiring that goes to the car so the parking light stays on properly.

Example:

This will turn the front parking lights on when the ignition is turned to the "run" position and allow you to retain use of your front turn signals... granted, they won't be that bright, but still on nonetheless

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:16 PM
wait a second, if you splice it into the bulb for the turn signals, with the parking lights on they wouldn't be very bright, but wouldn't doing that cause the lights to get brighter every time you turned your blinker on?
Friday, July 18, 2008 10:20 PM
Yes to both. It retains usage of your turn signals as well as forces the front parking lights on (only) acting as DRL's. The beauty of the laws is that they don't say how bright DRL's are supposed to be, only that you are supposed to have them (Canada only)... at least from what I've found so far.

The alternative, which I haven't fully tested. I can get it to where it works with the parking lights off (utilizing 4 relays... 1 for each turn signal, one for the switched power and one for parking lights when off... .the last one cuts the ground of the switched power relay so you are not running both filaments for extended periods of time), but not when the lights are on

This requires actually cutting the turn signal wire to use as the source (green lines) on the 2 relays. Pin 87a is hot when signal off. The relay will cut power when the turn signal is activated, causing the front and rear turns to be out of sync.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:39 PM
I've mentioned it before, but i'll say it again. I live in the Lehigh Valley area and work in Quakertown, Pa. If someone wants thier DRL's disabled with the scan tool I could do it for $5(pretty cheap labor huh?!) I haven't done this on anything newer than my 99, but if it will work on my gf's 03 i'll let you know.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:48 PM
I have a problem after doing this mod. I made sure to use the bcm side of the dark blue wire. I grounded it to the harness bolt just as shown in the write up (00 up). Now my driver side headlight is staying dimmer than the passenger side. Is there a fix for this?

If it can't drag, it ain't low enough!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:51 PM
Uh make that 03-05. I just went to get a set of Silverstars just in case the light was burning out considering it was the original that came with the car.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:15 PM
On another note, for someone who would have a reason that the DRLs need to be switchable, would the following work? I set this up with a three way rocker switch with one power in and two power outs. My principle here would be switching to one side to disable the DRLs and to the other to enable it.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 11:21 AM
you could also take out the relay in the fuse panel if you want to be lazy lol. i dont know if someone mentioned that already

Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:45 AM
Has anyone done this on the DRL defeat on a S-truck? I ask because I woder: If I attempted this on my '99 S-truck, would I get the same results? And is the wiring coding the same?

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:08 PM
In fact, to tell the truth... Here's a place to go to learn more in-depth about lighting & color temp:

www.danielsternlighting.comnull

This guy can tell you about stuff you never figured on!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:09 PM
OOOPS! Wrong thread!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:30 PM
Worked like a charm. Nice riteup.

**fresh**

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:43 PM
Does any one know on a 2000-2005 J if you do this, will you loose the flashing when you press the factory Remote Keyless lock and unlock fob?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search