How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!! - Page 11 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!!
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:48 PM
it may just be the way the wires are lined up at the headlight harness connector? did you look and make sure the pins lined up? may just need to move the pins to match your car harness

Friday, January 14, 2011 9:49 PM
Sorry for Bringing it back up ,but im in the process of switch a 97 cavalier front end to a 2002 i have everything for the switch but im lost on what to do with the 2002 cavalier harness since its a different main plug then the 97, what the easiest way to approach this????

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww266/moosey4005/CavalierSIG.jpg
Saturday, March 05, 2011 2:37 AM
Im in the same boat lol.. In the process of putting a 95-99 front bumper from a body kit on a 01 Cavy and using the smaller headlights aswell. Just need to know how to wire everything and find how it all fits.. This whole damn thread seems to be all about Fire to Cav conversions and hood latches etc.. DAMN!!!
Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:23 AM
dumb question probably but im wanting to swap from a 99 sunfire to a 99 cav front and was wondering if the howell auto z3 fenders would work for that since it says there for a 00-02, thanks
Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:10 PM
they will work but u will need to cut off the turn signal brackets off from the inside of a set of fenders from 95-99 and mount them to the inside of those fenders. also make sure you wire up your headlights correctly since now you will be going from a single bulb with dual filiment headlight, to dual bulb headlights. it is tons easier to go to a 00 + front end since u wont need to wire ur lights and everything will be direct bolt on with no cutting of the brackets to make the z3 fenders work.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:29 PM
i wa gonna go with the one piece projectors, thats the main reason im goin with the 99 front end, if i did that would i still need the bracket?
Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:42 PM
Ya know, im not 100$ sure about the 1 piece projectors. I would think not, but dont quote me 100% on it.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:56 PM
If you get the one piece projectors you DO NOT need the fender brackets for the corners. I have the projectors and am going to be cutting the brackets out because the make of harder to get the lights in and out.

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:20 AM
I have a 03 cav. Im going to 95-00 headlights.i have a extra 02 harness and 95 harness. With that said i should be able to cut the bulbs off the 95 and place them on the 02 and hook that in my car.

Now i dont have my 95 harness with me but the 02 has 3 wires going into each sockets. Doesn't the 95 have 4 wire to each socket? If someone could post a diagram that would help

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:15 PM
never mind got it working.

Friday, April 29, 2011 4:22 PM
Hey guys i tried reading through this......but i dont have all day lol sorrry. Ok, I have a 2000 cavalier and the parts i have to do the 03 swap is hood, fenders, bumper cover, headlights, and hood latch(which was $40 at the dealership RIP OFF). The bumper cover hits on the courregated (or whatever) plastic bumper that is attached to the metal one, what should i do? Also when you guys are doing this swap all that you have holding your headlights on are the 2 top bolts? dont they bounce/vibrate around? Also the adjuster screws that are horizontal hit on the radiator support. I cant even get the top 2 bolts in. Any input? thanks

Friday, April 29, 2011 4:31 PM
Kyle Rasmussen wrote:Hey guys i tried reading through this......but i dont have all day lol sorrry. Ok, I have a 2000 cavalier and the parts i have to do the 03 swap is hood, fenders, bumper cover, headlights, and hood latch(which was $40 at the dealership RIP OFF). The bumper cover hits on the courregated (or whatever) plastic bumper that is attached to the metal one, what should i do? Also when you guys are doing this swap all that you have holding your headlights on are the 2 top bolts? dont they bounce/vibrate around? Also the adjuster screws that are horizontal hit on the radiator support. I cant even get the top 2 bolts in. Any input? thanks

Ok, so all those parts you got, you didnt need the fenders. The little metal headlight brackets that hold your 00 headlight/turn signal bracket needs to come off. The 03 headlights are held in with the two bolts on top, and the metal tri-angle clip on the bottom, it pushes through a square thats already cut out on the "frame" part of the car, when you remove the 00 headlight brackets you will see what im talking about. As far as the plastic crush guard from the 00 front bumper, that needs to be removed, and the foam crush guard for the 03+ needs to be installed in there. If you drill out the rivets you can pull that plastic off. The foam guard for the 03+ just sits inside the bumper. the hood, bumper cover, and headlights all just bolt up. Im not sure what you mean by the latch but im assuming you mean the striker, and that obviously bolts on too, and its done. Should honestly take no more then 30 mins to do the whole swap. If the headlight is hitting the rad support, you dont have something right. I have a 00 and I had no issues getting my 03 front to bolt up.

Monday, May 09, 2011 6:41 PM
took her out for some pictures today

Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:25 PM
ive searched this forum three times now im probably overlooking it but can yall help me please will the 99 2 door sunfire front end work on the 99 cav base 4 door and thanks in advance

Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:41 PM
yes

Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:47 PM
thank you i really appreciate it manta

Sunday, June 05, 2011 6:23 PM
okay so ive searched and i can't find the answer so i guess ill try asking. i got the hood striker already on the 97 sunfire hood do i need the piece off the radiator support by the way i have a 99 cav base sedan

Sunday, June 05, 2011 6:29 PM
if you can, do it. I can't be 100% on if the older styles use the same latches but different striker.. i know there is a difference between 02 and 03 cavaliers so i can't be 100%.

Monday, December 26, 2011 9:52 AM
I have a 97 Cavalier and I want to swap to a 03 Sunfire Front. Can I just swap the headlight wiring harness or do I have to splice everything in? Second Question do I have to swap to the Sunfire Fenders or can I use my Cavalier fenders?
Monday, December 26, 2011 10:06 AM
I just want to clear something up here as I'm doing a 95-99 to 00-02 front end swap. Everyone keeps saying you can take the whole headlight harness off a 00-02 and it's plug and play. After a couple trips to the yards, the only harness that's plug and play is a 00, the 01-02 harness had a different, smaller plug then the 95-99. Sorry if it's been posted but I didn't see that info when I was doing the swap. Good luck, and happy swapping

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, December 26, 2011 10:20 AM
Justin Grantham wrote:I have a 97 Cavalier and I want to swap to a 03 Sunfire Front. Can I just swap the headlight wiring harness or do I have to splice everything in? Second Question do I have to swap to the Sunfire Fenders or can I use my Cavalier fenders?

if you read the sticky it tells you that you will need
Quote:

03-05 Sunfire
- 03-05 Sunfire Headlights(with plastic mount, its what bolts down the headlight)
- 03-05 Sunfire Turn signals
- 03-05 Front Bumper
- 95-05 Fenders
- 03-05 Sunfire Hood
- 2 x H11 Low Beam Bulbs
- 2 x H9 High Beam Bulbs
- 2 x 3157 Turn signal Bulbs(any 3rd Gen has these for turn signals so not necessary unless you need new bulbs, you can use what came with your car)
- 2 x 194 Bulbs for turn signals(any 3rd Gen(except 00-02 Cavaliers) have these for turn signals so not necessary unless you need new bulbs, you can use what came with your car)
- From the donor car's wiring harness, or two H11 and two H9 headlights sockets and two 194 corner light sockets(Only needed if you have a 00-02 Cavalier, all the rest have this bulb already wired on your side markers or part of your turn signals)
- Corner Light brackets, this is basically a bar that bolts to the bottom/side of the corner, which then bolts to the frame in the front next to where the headlights bolt down(Click for Picture)
- Bumper Brackets, these brackets bolt from the metal bumper support to the bumper cover(Click for Picture 1 , Click for Picture 2)

onecleancavy wrote:I just want to clear something up here as I'm doing a 95-99 to 00-02 front end swap. Everyone keeps saying you can take the whole headlight harness off a 00-02 and it's plug and play. After a couple trips to the yards, the only harness that's plug and play is a 00, the 01-02 harness had a different, smaller plug then the 95-99. Sorry if it's been posted but I didn't see that info when I was doing the swap. Good luck, and happy swapping

I know i've said it a few times in this sticky alone that i tried swapping harnesses too and had the same issue with finding out the plug was different so splicing was needed.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:20 PM
read it all...i promise!!)..lol but in doing a 99 z bumper on a 2k z....is the umm...i think its 881? bulb the same..base? as the 2k's 880. i think i recall seeing a pic of one and saw it differed in the 90 degree bend at the bulb. in other words will the 880 bulb fit into the 99 fogs?

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:32 PM
i have a 97 cavy and did the 03 swap and im having problems with the headlight passenger side works fine drivers messed up any help will be appreciated
Friday, August 03, 2012 7:56 PM
So I didn't see anything about this!! Sorry if I looked over it! But I'm using a 98 headlight harness on my 00 so I was going to re-wire the femalel plug on the end of the headlight harness to an 00 female plug. But looking at this, there are different wires that are the same color so how will I know what goes where!? Please help!!!
Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:19 AM
ive read the post a few time through,im still lost on what front end i can swap on to my 99 sunfire without having to do any modification to the wiring harness. what front end can i swap over?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search