HID's with 2k+ Black headlights - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HID's with 2k+ Black headlights
Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:56 PM
I currently have 8000k HID's in my stock headlights. Im looking into getting the black headlights and black corner lights on eBay, but the auction states that they are compatible with halogen and not HID. Is this due to temperature? Does anyone have this set up and will it work or will it melt the lamp? I don't want to spend $250 on a melted piece of plastic And for those that are going to tell me to make my own, I tried that I'm not that crafty, it just ended up a mess and resulted in new headlights

Re: HID's with 2k+ Black headlights
Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:21 AM
if the headlights you have now are reflectors and not projectors than you shouldnt have HID's anyway because of the glare...HID's are not meant for reflector housings because they produce a glare possibly harmful to other drivers..as far as getting projectors..you have to have em custom made for 00's-02's

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Thursday, April 20, 2006 7:56 AM
Thank you for the info, but there is not that much glare with my stock headlights. I have also never been flashed at and im going to guess that 99% of the ppl with 2k+ cavys and fires did not pay the $500 for custom projectors. Not trying to be a jerk at all, I really thank you for your input.
Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:29 AM
o i dont doubt it..i'm in the same boat, i have an 00 Z24 and i want HID's but i dont care to pay 500 bucks for headlights..as far as the black headlights, i dont imagine theyd be any different than the clears as far as being compatible with HID's..to my understanding even the regular clear headlights arent "compatible" with HID's im guessin they put that there to cover themselves.

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:04 AM
"compatible" might mean legal... b/c my understanding is that in some states (and provinces) it is illegal to swap to HIDs b/c of the reflector issues... but I might be wrong as it is just something I heard from a buddy and he is known to talk $hit...

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:47 AM
try izn trbl. he makes custom lights and might be able to hook you up.
here is his website. website

SIG coming to an org near you!!!
Thursday, April 20, 2006 1:36 PM
Doh... I meant illegal...

Knowledge about everything and yet an expert of nothing!!
Jack of all trades.
Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:05 PM
*sigh*

compatible means that they use the 9007 bulb and not the d2r/s bulb. simple as that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Friday, April 21, 2006 5:56 AM
Viper98912 wrote:*sigh*

compatible means that they use the 9007 bulb and not the d2r/s bulb. simple as that.

how would i go about switching my headlights to be d2r compatible..because i know thats the bulb that is menat for reflector housings

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Friday, April 21, 2006 8:10 AM
get a d2r reflector off a lexus, infiniti, etc, and hack it into your stock headlight. custom job only.

Friday, April 21, 2006 8:12 AM
and by the way, if you're looking for a d2r hid system, email me for info cuz i have a spare set for sale.

Friday, April 21, 2006 8:17 AM
btw HID's run cooler then stock headlights anyway (as far as I know, I may be wrong)

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, April 23, 2006 6:02 PM
Alright I talked to the company and to clear some things up here is what was said.
As of right now I have a TechOne HID kit, with the 9007 size bulbs.
The company that makes the black headlights and corners said that due to the heat that the HID's put out they will melt the headlight housing. As QBE said "HID's run cooler then stock headlights anyway (as far as I know, I may be wrong)" that was the impression that I was under also. If anyone can clear this up for me it would be great.
Also I plan on getting someone to mod these so there is a shield of some sort to kill the glare.
Thank you
Jason
Sunday, April 23, 2006 7:02 PM
he has never seen a J-Body headlight, has he? your headlight housing is made of fiber glass. it can not melt. your lens will not have any issues either.

as for fitting HID's into your existing headlights or ebay headlights, rather than finding a stock D2R reflector from a higher end car and trying to cut and shape it into your existing headlight, it really is much easier to just get a set of projector housings, cutting a hole for the projector to fit in, and sealing it. you are done. it truly is very simple, you can get done in 2 days, and you just may have fun doing so. it is a shame, but because you have purchased a set of 9007 HID bulbs, you are unable to purchase a set of projector housings that fit that bulb. you will have to purchase a set of D2S HID bulbs.

good luck with what you do. there are very knowledgeable members here. im sure someone can steer you in the right direction.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Sunday, April 23, 2006 7:22 PM
IZN- how far backed up are you on 00 projector headlights right now? ive decided to go the right route

My Other Ride

RIP Saint...Semper Fi.
Sunday, April 23, 2006 8:14 PM
yeah me too

Monday, April 24, 2006 3:33 PM
sk8r4200 wrote:Alright I talked to the company and to clear some things up here is what was said.
As of right now I have a TechOne HID kit, with the 9007 size bulbs.
The company that makes the black headlights and corners said that due to the heat that the HID's put out they will melt the headlight housing. As QBE said "HID's run cooler then stock headlights anyway (as far as I know, I may be wrong)" that was the impression that I was under also. If anyone can clear this up for me it would be great.
Also I plan on getting someone to mod these so there is a shield of some sort to kill the glare.
Thank you
Jason

QBE is right, They run cooler.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, April 24, 2006 9:20 PM
cant you just adjust the headlights on a 00-02 headlight so its angled down a bit to reduce most of the glare? mine are in the mail and will be installing them in a few days.

Monday, April 24, 2006 9:59 PM
Where can you buy just the projector's for a reasonable amount. I see some on ebay for 200+ just for the projector part. Or is that the price im looking at? My other alternative is to ask how much you charge to make them IZN?
Thank you
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search