Going to be doing some body work soon, looking for some painting advice... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Going to be doing some body work soon, looking for some painting advice...
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:45 PM
I'm going to be grabbing the bumper and hood off of a 95 Z24 in the near future, and was wondering what the most cost effective way of painting these to match my car is. I've heard people say to have it done professionally, but that's not really an option for me. I'd kinda like to keep this a Do It Yourself project.

What about using Duplicolor? Could I just rough up the surface on both parts, clean it very well, then paint it and give it a clear coat? Please forgive me for the newb questions, painting isn't really my area of expertise...

15.448 @ 89.7

Re: Going to be doing some body work soon, looking for some painting advice...
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:56 PM
do it the right way and get it painted professionally. I don't see anything else being time/cost effective.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:12 PM
if the factory paint still is good you can just scuff and shoot.

just make sure you use the right kind of paint

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:50 PM
Duplicolor sucks, the clear looks really glossy when you first spray it, but once dry it's very dull looking. If you were going to use the dupli color, than just get a maaco job, it would look nicer and last longer.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:10 PM
The01Cav wrote:Duplicolor sucks, the clear looks really glossy when you first spray it, but once dry it's very dull looking. If you were going to use the dupli color, than just get a maaco job, it would look nicer and last longer.

what he said......I worked at a body shop for a while, and can tell you that fixing a crappy paint job is much more expensive in the long run than just doing it right the first time

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:08 PM
The01Cav wrote:Duplicolor sucks, the clear looks really glossy when you first spray it, but once dry it's very dull looking. If you were going to use the dupli color, than just get a maaco job, it would look nicer and last longer.

Forgive my ignorance, but Maaco job? lol

15.448 @ 89.7
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:16 AM
maaco is a company that paints cars. they are cheap and affordable but its not always the best work. if you wanna do it yourself buy yourself some painting guns and spray away.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 5:17 AM
if you plan to do this yourself, and do a good job that will last a long time, get quality products, that are right for the application. Things like flex additive for the bumper, and good high quality paint. Then youll see it is probably the same cost as having it done professionally.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search