what to do with cheap CF hood? - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what to do with cheap CF hood?
Monday, September 15, 2008 11:36 PM
I guess its cheap, its fading (turnin green) and theres this dirt build up on the center.

i hit it with the clay bar and waxed it, but didn't seem to make a difference....

it says VIS on the underside got it for $500 to my door on a GP here 3 yrs back

are they not meant to endure the elements? its been threw alot, sun, rain, and i try to wash the car monthly if not bi-monthly.

or did i just get a cheap hood?

maybe i can just paint it?

but is it worth it? "can't polish a turd" right?

any info would help, i searched but to no avail.
I remember QBE sayin something about his hood turnin green but that guy has like 300+
posts i don't really want to go through them all....

thanks in advance

Re: what to do with cheap CF hood?
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 5:03 AM
You can have it sanded and cleared which will bring back the gloss look, but chances are the weave itself is faded to the yellowish green color. I sanded and cleared my VIS hood after a year, but it still has a yellowish tint to it.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:25 AM
basically... NO they are not meant to brave the elements. technically, your supposed to paint carbon fiber stuff just as you would fiberglass.

i've had good luck with keeping mine waxed and cleaned all the time, BUT, the biggest thing i have going for it is the fact that the car doesn't see much time on the road. mostly it sits in the dark garage so i need not worry about it.

unsure if this is the thread you were referring to, but...
here goes....

Fall 08 Omaha/western Iowa area meet...CLICK ME!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:33 AM
z yaaaa wrote:basically... NO they are not meant to brave the elements. technically, your supposed to paint carbon fiber stuff just as you would fiberglass.

i've had good luck with keeping mine waxed and cleaned all the time, BUT, the biggest thing i have going for it is the fact that the car doesn't see much time on the road. mostly it sits in the dark garage so i need not worry about it.

unsure if this is the thread you were referring to, but...
here goes....

that is true but most companies including vis have been putting uv coats on cf parts for the fact they know 95% of the people who buy cf wont paint it. the uv coat is suppose to hold up to the sun from ruining the hood. just because it has a coat on it though doesnt mean you shouldnt take care of the car and wash it regular and wax it.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:02 AM
well i have had a vis CF oem hood on my integra and a civic of mine the civic the hood fadded out in about a year and a half and the weave started to fade so it turned a greenish color. the teggy when i got it i had a clear coat painted on it to add an extra protection to it. and it has not faded a bit in the last 5 years i have had it. i do wash it weekly to make sure the teggy and the civic are looking clean and they are both my daily drivers the civic for work and the teggy to chill in the cavi is more of a project car but when you get a CF hood have it painted atleast the clear coat on it to give it that extra layer.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 12:53 PM
personally... ive found the VIS gel-coat to scratch easily... someday my plan is to clear coat it just because of this.

main thing though... maintain, maintain, maintain... and literally when i say waxing is needed often, it is. im talking once a month here or more.

Fall 08 Omaha/western Iowa area meet...CLICK ME!
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:12 PM
Shadowfire wrote:You can have it sanded and cleared which will bring back the gloss look, but chances are the weave itself is faded to the yellowish green color. I sanded and cleared my VIS hood after a year, but it still has a yellowish tint to it.

huh. well only in the sun it looks yellowish green, only a little bit. maybe i will sand and clear it....
if its not too costly...

or maybe i'll just slap the stock hood back on....

well thanks for the input guys

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 2:21 PM
or sand it back down. get most of it out. if the cf is colored, candy the hood to hide the color and to match the car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search