2005 cavalier HID problem - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2005 cavalier HID problem
Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:07 PM
My friend has an 05 cavalier, we've been trying to install his HID kit for the past few days, it's a 8000K kit with a relay harness, now, we have everything hooked up properly, ballasts turn on, bulbs turn on, but the switch over to high beam doesn't work, everything just shuts off, we've tryed everything we can think of and nothing seems to work

Re: 2005 cavalier HID problem
Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:13 PM
Is it a hi/lo or bi-xenon kit? cause if not it won't have high beams. If it is you may have to switch the wires on the plug between the where the relay harness connects to the stock headlight harness.
Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:40 PM
X2 ^ I hate the same issue and ill I had to do was switching the wires around.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:41 AM
care to explain? with pics?

OEM CAMBER/CASTER KIT 10 People for $210 <P>
GOT ECOTEC?
Saturday, April 20, 2013 12:41 PM
dxdean3 wrote:My friend has an 05 cavalier, we've been trying to install his HID kit for the past few days, it's a 8000K kit with a relay harness, now, we have everything hooked up properly, ballasts turn on, bulbs turn on, but the switch over to high beam doesn't work, everything just shuts off, we've tryed everything we can think of and nothing seems to work

unless it's a bi-xenon kit with a motorized shield, You won't have Highs.

when you switch to hi beams, the low beam circuit turns off.
your buddy's car no longer has hi beams, so when you flip the switch, the lows turn off but there are no highs anymore.

the combination bulbs in most cars no are dual filament. HIDs are not.

also, you can't cycle back and forth between different bulbs and constantly turn the HIDS on/off
not only do you have to go thru 'warm up' cycle which could be dangerous at night especially while moving, but the ballasts will get pissed off and they will die a premature death.

it pays to read about what you're installing before installing it.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 1:19 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:
dxdean3 wrote:My friend has an 05 cavalier, we've been trying to install his HID kit for the past few days, it's a 8000K kit with a relay harness, now, we have everything hooked up properly, ballasts turn on, bulbs turn on, but the switch over to high beam doesn't work, everything just shuts off, we've tryed everything we can think of and nothing seems to work

your buddy's car no longer has hi beams, so when you flip the switch, the lows turn off but there are no highs anymore.

also, you can't cycle back and forth between different bulbs and constantly turn the HIDS on/off
not only do you have to go thru 'warm up' cycle which could be dangerous at night especially while moving, but the ballasts will get pissed off and they will die a premature death.

All reasons why I want HIDs but will never actually install them.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, April 20, 2013 1:33 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:

All reasons why I want HIDs but will never actually install them.

roll up your sleeves, turn on the oven, and retrofit!

www.retrofitsource.com

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:26 AM
yeah on mine I had to just swap the wires around in the blue connector on the harness.
I just bought a set of projector headlight housings for my cav. hopefully I can run my HIDs with them plug n play. but for the cost i figured they'll look a ton better and projectors wont blind everyone like HIDs in a stock housing will.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:30 AM
We have negative switching headlights. Thats why you lose high beams when you try to turn them on.

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:38 AM

I know a retro isn't everybody's forte, but I found this searching around and installed a set myself, I couldn't be happier with the result. It's so much better than stock. I tried Sylvania Silver Stars and that didn't help matters much.

Very little wiring involved, mostly plug and play especially if you feel like a full retro isn't in your cards: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?29450-My-05-Cavalier-retrofit

I can snap some picts of mine and make a thread on here about it.
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:55 AM
You can get a set of the bi-xenon bulbs for pretty cheap on eBay and you have to make sure to plug the extra wires on each end off theharnessinto the new bulbs because they are what control the hi/lo.

Sunday, October 27, 2013 6:28 AM
i know the differnece between the Bi kits, it was basically get both head light to come on... cause i was running into problem with only one wanting to come on.

GOT ECOTEC?
Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:29 PM
blue wire ground works. pic to follow

GOT ECOTEC?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search