Trunk Lid Swap - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trunk Lid Swap
Sunday, July 13, 2014 1:28 PM
What would be the best match up trunk for a red 2005 Pontiac Sunfire? I'm thinking about getting one so I won't have a spoiler. Also any opinions on the no-spoiler look? Btw I understand that any trunk lid from 95-05 should fit but then tail lights become an issue. Plus if anyone has a front bumper for the car I listed above let me know!

Re: Trunk Lid Swap
Sunday, July 13, 2014 2:14 PM
Do you have a 2 or 4 door? I think the 2 door trunks are different than all the other cavaliers and 4 door sunfires.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Sunday, July 13, 2014 2:58 PM
Sorry, I forgot to specify. It's a 2 door coupe.
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:13 AM
Your only option there is to find a trunk from another 03-05 2 door. Nothing else will match up.

Saturday, August 09, 2014 7:49 PM
^ 100% incorrect all sunfire trunks 95-05 are exactly the same, filler panels unbolt

Saturday, August 09, 2014 7:50 PM
Sorry should say 2dr sunfire trunks. All the same

Sunday, August 10, 2014 4:00 PM
I personally love the spoiler-less look on Sunfire Coupes. I had the spoiler removed from my former 2002 Sunfire GT Coupe and it looked great IMO. Very sleek and clean. Much better than the goofy OEM surfboard spoiler .

As Gary said, all 1995-2005 Sunfire Coupe trunk lids are the same, however, the taillights and trunk panels are different (1995-2002 & 2003-2005).

If you’re curious to see how your Sunfire would look without the spoiler, take the spoiler off. It’s easy to remove and re-install. Just open the trunk lid and look for the bolts (IIRC, they’re 10mm) on the underside of the trunk lid and remove them, then carefully lift the spoiler and third brake light assembly up and off of the top side of the trunk lid. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Good luck finding a spoiler-less trunk lid in a junkyard. Spoiler-less Sunfire Coupes were only made from 1995-1997 and are extremely hard to find. You’ll more than likely end up just having to have a body shop weld the holes and re-paint your current trunk lid. This is what I ended up having to do with mine. If you go the body shop route, have them paint your door handles and outer mirrors at the same time since they’ll already have the paint mixed up. It shouldn’t cost you much more and will make a huge difference in the exterior appearance of your ‘fire.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search