For Release: Monday, Dec. 1, 2014, 9 a.m. EST
20 Ways the All-New Chevrolet Trax Makes its Mark
Chevy’s small SUV rolls into U.S. with versatility, technology and maneuverability
– With the utility of an SUV and agility of a compact car, the 2015 Chevrolet Trax is a city-smart vehicle ready for almost any adventure.
Packed with the technology city dwellers depend on for their connected lifestyles – including 4G LTE Wi-Fi and Siri Eyes Free – Trax is also an efficient performer, with a standard turbocharged engine delivering power on demand and segment-leading EPA-estimated 34 mpg on the highway.
“Chevrolet is making a huge inroads with small cars around the world and Trax is the latest example,” said Steve Majoros, Chevrolet director of car marketing. “It is the right vehicle at the right time in the U.S., building on Chevrolet’s strong SUV heritage with a package of features combining value, versatility, technology and maneuverability.”
Trax is Chevrolet’s seventh small vehicle launch in four years, a diverse lineup that’s seen the brand’s share of the small-, compact- and mini-car segments more than triple. In fact, the Chevrolet Cruze recently surpassed 3 million global sales, while the Spark reached the 1-million sales milestone.
Getting a head start on the competition, the Trax goes on sale in the United States in early 2015, where the emerging small-SUV segment is estimated to grow more than 80 percent in the next few years. Trax is already on sale in 66 global markets, where it has generated approximately 180,000 sales since its 2012 introduction.
1. Seating for up to five with up to eight seating/cargo-carrying configurations.
2. A 60/40-split, flat-folding rear seat and a segment-exclusive fold-flat front passenger seat combine to allow storage of long items such as skis or a surfboard, up to eight feet long.
3. Up to 48.4 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seat folded – and 18.7 cubic feet of storage space behind the split-folding rear seatbacks. That’s more than Nissan Juke and comparable to Kia Soul and Jeep Renegade:
• Nissan Juke – 35.9 cu. ft. total / 10.5 cu. ft. behind rear seat
• Kia Soul – 49.5 cu. ft. total / 18.8 cu. ft. behind rear seat (with luggage tray)
• Jeep Renegade – 50.8 cu. ft. total / 18.5 cu. ft. behind rear seat.
4. Segment-leading 15 interior storage compartments including upper and lower storage in each door, upper and lower glove box, upper and lower center stack, left and right of the center stack and left of the steering wheel.
5. Standard and dealer-available cargo management features. Standard features include a rigid, removable cargo security cover and a storage area under the rear cargo floor. Dealer-available accessory items include a collapsible cargo organizer and cargo net.
6. Chevrolet MyLink Infotainment with a 7-inch-diagonal color touch screen is standard. Trax’s next-generation MyLink provides easy, intuitive operation of basic functions, and is highly customizable and capable of linking devices such as smartphones and MP3 players. The system includes Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phone, as well as Pandora, TuneIn radio and Stitcher.
7. OnStar with 4G LTE and a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot is standard. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected – allowing the connection of multiple personal devices such as smartphones, laptops and tablets to high-speed wireless Internet. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three gigabyte data trial (whichever comes first), after which the customer can purchase additional data.
8. Siri Eyes Free for iPhone iOS 6, iOS 7 and iOS 8 users enhances connectivity and convenience. It enables voice-controlled connectivity so customers can keep phones stored and their hands on the wheel. Trax is the first vehicle in its class to offer Siri Eyes Free.
9. Standard USB port with MP3 playback/iPod music device support. The USB port also enables users to upload photos and videos on the MyLink screen.
10. Available BringGo navigation app and Sirius XM Satellite Radio. The available BringGo app brings smartphone-enabled navigation that can be displayed on the large MyLink screen – including using the touch screen to control the navigation. Sirius XM Satellite Radio is standard on LT and LTZ models and for three months of trial service. Sirius XM Travel Link and Tune Select are available for an additional cost.
11. Trax is powered by an Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged engine that’s backed by an efficiency-enhancing six-speed automatic transmission. The engine is rated at an SAE-certified 138 horsepower (102 kW) and 148 lb-ft of torque (200 Nm), between 1,850 and 4,900 rpm. The wide rpm range for the maximum torque helps Trax deliver a more confident driving experience, with a strong feeling of power across the rpm band. Most importantly, it contributes to the Trax’s EPA-estimated 26 mpg city and 34 mpg highway efficiency.
12. Available all-wheel drive enhances driving confidence in slippery conditions. The automatically engaging system seamlessly splits torque between the front and rear wheels, when required, for better traction and handling.
13. Dimensions designed for confidence and maneuverability. A 100.6-inch wheelbase and wide stance – 60.6-inch front and rear track – contribute to a planted stance that fosters a more-confident driving experience, while a tight 36.7-foot turning circle enhances maneuverability and nimbleness in tight urban environments, helping make the Trax easy to park.
14. MacPherson-strut front suspension and compound crank rear suspension deliver driving agility. The strut-type front suspension is used with coil springs, a large stabilizer bar and side-load-compensated front strut modules – a combination that delivers ride comfort with sporty, direct responsiveness. The rear compound crank (torsion beam) design, with a double-wall, tubular V-shape beam profile and gas-charged twin-tube shocks combines all the advantages of a conventional torsion beam axle, including minimal space requirements, with low weight and consistent camber control. Noise-damping urethane spring isolators dampen noise.
15. Direct-acting, fuel-saving column-mounted electric power steering system. All models feature an electric power steering system that helps save fuel by drawing energy only when the steering wheel is turned. Designed to complement Trax’s balance of responsiveness and comfort, the EPS’s feel is light yet direct, enhancing the vehicle’s feeling of maneuverability – particularly at low speeds and during parking.
16. Starting price of $20,995 for LS trim level includes standard Chevrolet MyLink infotainment with a 7-inch-diagonal touch screen, OnStar 4G LTE with built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, segment-leading 10 standard air bags, segment-exclusive standard rearview camera system (excluding other GM vehicles), rear fold-flat and front-passenger fold-flat seats, USB port, air conditioning, power locks and windows, power outside mirrors and remote keyless entry.
17. LS, LT and LTZ trim levels, with premium features offered across the range, including:
• Sixteen-inch wheels are standard on LS and LT models; 18-inch aluminum wheels are standard on LTZ
• Rear park assist – available on LT and standard on LTZ
• Contemporary interior environment featuring an instrument cluster with a large, performance-style analog tachometer combined with a prominent digital display for the speedometer and other readouts; also includes 3.5-inch-diagonal driver information center display with ice blue backlighting
• Heated front seats with leatherette trim – standard on LTZ
• Deluxe cloth/leatherette seating trim – available on LT
• Bose seven-speaker sound system – available on LT and standard on LTZ
• Leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel – available on LT and standard on LTZ
• Fog lamps – standard on LTZ
• Roof rails – standard on LT and LTZ
• Six-way power driver seat adjuster – available on LT and standard on LTZ
• Power sliding sunroof – available on LT and LTZ
• Heated power-adjustable mirrors – standard on LT and LTZ
• Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror – standard on LTZ.
18. All-wheel drive is offered for $1,500 – the most affordable AWD option in Chevrolet’s portfolio is available on all trim levels.
19. Strong roster of safety features – including class-best 10 standard air bags. Trax’s body structure forms a protective cage around the passenger compartment, with 66 percent of it composed of high-strength steels – including ultra-high-strength steel in strategic areas. That strength is complemented by technologies that help avoid crashes and protect occupants in case one occurs, including:
• Driver and front passenger frontal air bags
• Driver and front passenger knee air bags
• Front and rear thorax air bags for all outboard positions – including the segment’s only rear-seat-mounted thorax air bags
• Side curtain air bags for front and rear outboard passengers
• Standard rearview camera
• Standard front safety belt pretensioners
• StabiliTrak electronic stability control, incorporating traction control and rollover mitigation features
• ABS and electronic brake force distribution, as well as cornering brake control and brake assist
• Rear park assist is available on LT and standard on LTZ.
20. Chevrolet Complete Care includes two years/24,000 miles (whichever comes first) of scheduled maintenance, which complements the three-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty – whichever comes first.
Editors’ Note: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price includes destination freight charge but excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.9 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
# # #
2015 CHEVROLET TRAX SPECIFICATIONS
Model: Chevrolet Trax
Body style / driveline: small SUV, front-engine/front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive
Construction: body-frame integral
EPA vehicle class: sport utility vehicle
Key competitors: Nissan Juke, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Manufacturing locations: Bupyeong, South Korea and San Luis Potosi, Mexico
1.4L turbocharged DOHC I-4
Displacement (cu. in. / cc): 83.2 / 1364
Bore and stroke (in. / mm): 2.85 x 3.25 / 72.5 x 82.6
Block material: cast iron
Cylinder head material: cast aluminum
Valvetrain: dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, double continuously cam phaser intake and exhaust (DCVCP)
Ignition system: coil on plug
Fuel delivery: sequential multi-port fuel injection with electronic throttle control
Compression ratio: 9.5:1
Horsepower (hp / kW @ rpm): 138 / 103 @ 4900 (SAE certified)
Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm): 148 / 200 @ 1850 (SAE certified)
Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
Max engine speed (rpm): 6500
Emissions controls: close-coupled and underfloor catalytic converters; pre- and post-oxygen sensors
EPA-estimated fuel economy
(city / hwy): 26 / 34
Hydra-Matic 6T40 6-speed automatic
Gear ratios (:1)
Final drive: 3.53
Chassis / Suspension
Front: MacPherson strut with coil-over spring; direct-acting stabilizer bar; steel 6-point rigid attachment front cross member
Rear: compound crank (torsion beam); coil springs with twin-tube shock absorbers
Steering type: column-mounted electric power steering; rack-and-pinion gear (straight ratio)
Steering ratio: 16.1:1
Steering wheel turns, lock-to-lock: 2.7 (16-inch wheels)
2.6 (18-inch wheels)
Turning circle, curb-to-curb (ft / m): 36.7 / 11.2
Type: FWD: front discs with ventilated rotors, rear drums; standard ABS
AWD: four-wheel disc with ventilated front discs and solid rear discs; standard ABS
Brake rotor diameter x thickness (in / mm): front: 11.8 x 1.0 / 300 x 26, ventilated discs (FWD & AWD)
rear: 10.6 x 0.5 / 268 x 12, solid discs (AWD)
Drum diameter (in / mm) : rear: 9 / 230 (FWD)
Anti-lock braking system: Mando MGH60 Chassis Controls: ABS / TCS / ESC with rollover mitigation
Wheels / Tires
Wheels: 16 x 6.5-inch steel with wheel cover (LS FWD)
16 x 6.5-inch aluminum (LS AWD, LT)
18 x 7-inch aluminum (LTZ)
Tires: P205/70R16 ALS (std.)
P215/55R18 AL3 (opt.)
Wheelbase (in / mm): 100.6 / 2555
Overall length (in / mm): 168.5 / 4280
Overall width (in / mm): 69.9 / 1776
Overall height (in / mm): 65.9 / 1674
Track (in / mm): front: 60.6 / 1540
rear: 60.6 / 1540
Curb weight (lb / kg): FWD: 2805 / 1293 (est.)
AWD: 3208 / 1455 (est.)
Minimum ground clearance (in. / mm): front: 6.2 / 157
rear: 6.2 / 157
Seating capacity (front / rear): 2 / 3
Headroom (in / mm): front: 39.6 / 1005
rear: 38.8 / 985
Legroom (in / mm): front: 40.8 / 1037
rear: 35.7 / 907
Shoulder room (in / mm): front: 54.1 / 1374
rear: 52.8 / 1340
Hip room (in / mm): front: 51.7 / 1313
rear: 50.2 / 1274
Passenger volume (cu ft / L): 92.8 / 2628
Cargo volume (cu ft / L): 18.7 / 530 (behind rear seat)
48.4 / 1371 (rear seat folded)
Fuel tank (gal / L): 14 / 53
Engine oil (qt / L): 4.75 / 4.5
Cooling system (qt / L): 6.9 / 6.5
Note: Information shown is current at time of publication. Please visit http://media.gm.com
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
- trax.jpg (71k)
the former." - Albert Einstein