IS JBO different?? - Page 3 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: IS JBO different??
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:46 PM
Owen Stampflee wrote:it sucks, way too toss out any form of usability guideline.

should we go back to web design 101, make things look clickable. it honestly looks broken to me even tho I see how it works.

oh yeah, blue on blue = flat out wrong!

I beg to differ. I've been designing web sites since you were 10 years old. You obviously aren't grasping the goal of this change. Let me lay it out for you.

With the old style menu, when someone came to the site for the first time, they were bombarded with options - all of the forums, tons of links. It could be confusing at first to find what you need because there are so many options to choose from.

With this change, then main menu is reduced to only 10 items (not including login and home). This makes it much easier to pick a place to begin browsing the site. All of the functionality of the old menu is still present, however. If your browser is working correctly (it has been tested with IE6, Firefox 1.5, Safari 2.0, and Opera 8.5 all of which together constitute 99.3% of all visits to this site) then when you click on 'FORUM' a cookie is set (hint, if you have cookies disabled, there's your problem, turn them back on) and the menu state is remembered until you click 'FORUM' again to hide it.

Now, if what I just described is not working for you, I need to know ALL of the following information:
-Operating system and version
-Web browser and version
-Any cookie blocking or security software you might be using
-A full description of HOW its not working for you

Oh and as for my colors - I know they aren't the best. They will be changed sometime down the road. I didn't want to be messing with colors right now though, so they stayed more or less how they were.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:03 AM
what i first saw is different than what I now see, it appears to look decent now (perhaps some cookies expired), it was just a jumpled a list of links of links coloured 0000ff over the the light blue bg JBO colour, in fact some links where plain ol black... nothing looked clickable and what not.

Oh yeah, dont argue with someone who has a usability and visualization background, its not nice. I may not be l33t enough to bother making a website, but I get to design and write software that certainlty has more options thant JBO has.

Oh yeah, I'm using Linux 2.6.15-rc5 on PowerPC firefox firefox-1.5-1.ydl.2 using standard firewall (blocking all listening ports) behind a NAT router.

It looks decent now, not like some kid got a dhtml kid got a webdesign book. I'd just be sure than that every page on JBO (minus old posts) is accessible in 3 clicks or less.... thats what the HID folks say is the max, they humans are stupid and get bored after 3 clicks when trying todo a simple task. I gotta agree with them.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 2:16 AM
The problem I'm describing is happening here at work where I'm on OSX using Explorer 5.2. I tried it on Safari & that worked, but I work on OS9 at home with Explorer & I'm pretty sure I'm using 5.2 at home as well. That means I have no option to use Safari at home where I do most of my JBO browsing.

All of the other links on the left work for home, regions, library, etc - except forums.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:27 AM
very nice, Dave. very nice.
Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:45 AM
awesome it's workin now.

my carDomain
Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:49 AM
Ah.....our hard earned money at work. Looks good Dave. I like

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:52 AM
Dave wrote:There's a big server upgrade coming sometime in the near future, though I can't say exactly when. Once that is out of the way, 'edit' should follow shortly after.

should i start celebrating now?
Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:10 AM
GOOD upgrade dave. I like it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:35 AM
No more gallary?
Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:17 AM
Now that I'm home using OS 9.2.2 and IE 5.1, not only does the forums link not work, but the library link does not work either. I can function, I just have to go way out and around to get where I'd like to be.

Also, both here at home & work, I did see
body {
behavior:url("/csshover.htc");
}

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:29 AM
Umm, I dont notice anything different other than the tabs missing on the left side of the page

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:37 AM
Dont worry Dave, people don't generally like new things at first, but as time progresses i think everyone will start to see the big picture. I've been on JBO for @ 2 months now, and am loving the user friendliness of the site!

Keep it up Dave!!!!!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:48 AM
Damn I found it lol..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:11 AM
Hey Dave just letting you know that it is working for me now.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:35 AM
I don't see how everyone is having such a hard time with this. Clear the internet cookies and temp files, and then come back on to refresh everything. Its just a menu, one click, and its right back to the way it was. This isn't nuclear science people

Don't know if I'm too kean about wanting to add more enhancements though. Flashy menus all over do start making load times crappy, specially for those who are still on 56gay like me :-(
Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:42 AM
But you fail to relize that some ISP cache's stuff on their own and takes time for it to see these changes. IE: AOL

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:43 AM
I love how "My Inbox" flashes at you now.

There may be usability issues. I for one was not willing to use Javascript, then I found out about AJAX.

If users want the best web experience they should have the latest browsers, considering their free and even JBO has a "GET FIREFOX" link there's no excuse.

Also as Dave said 99.3% of the user base for this website won't have a problem. 99.3% is pretty good coverage considering that as low as 80% compatibility in many eyes is acceptable.

It's hard to organize a sites such as JBO, and the GME network because there are so many categories and areas of content. i don't believe the current changes are the ultimate solution, but there a great step in the right direction.

-Chris

Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:38 AM
MILKMAN wrote:No more gallary?

Click 'LIBRARY', its still there.

stargrrrl wrote:Now that I'm home using OS 9.2.2 and IE 5.1, not only does the forums link not work, but the library link does not work either. I can function, I just have to go way out and around to get where I'd like to be.

The IE version you are using is definitely at fault. Only 0.7% of visits to this site come from an IE5 browser, so I never considered testing that scenario. Further, OS9 only accounts for 0.3% of visits. And I'm sure I'd be willing to bet all of those are you, right?

At this point I don't know what the best course of action would be. If there is anyone else that (for whatever reason) wants an option to turn off the 'eye candy', I can set something up to that extent.

But you should seriously consider upgrading your computer too. Come on, the Mac Mini is only $500.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:51 AM
its different but I like the change

A J-body owner since 1998
91 cavy, 99 sunfire, 00 cavy
06 cobalt SS/SC YELLOW
09 cobalt SS/TC sedan WHITE 1 of 41
Thursday, January 12, 2006 1:10 PM
great job dave

good idea keeping the forums open, it like it a lot!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:34 PM

The effect is cool, but how many people actually come here for anything but the forum?

Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:44 PM
Well I spend most of time here from work and My work computer will not allow me to download firefox and I have no choice but to use IE. The reason I went premium is so I can enjoy it while I am at work so that kind of screws me over (I know I am one of the few but, what you going to do)

Check out my cardomain Team Altered

Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:49 PM
I like the new design. I can't wait for the server upgrade

BlackEco wrote:holy crap! how much horsepower does the front of that shirt add?

Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:40 PM
Fatalic CAVI wrote:Well I spend most of time here from work and My work computer will not allow me to download firefox and I have no choice but to use IE. The reason I went premium is so I can enjoy it while I am at work so that kind of screws me over (I know I am one of the few but, what you going to do)

be happy you can get on at work period. my work has this site blocked.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:05 PM
I'd hump it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search