Rules Clarification: problems with moderators - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rules Clarification: problems with moderators
Friday, April 21, 2006 1:40 PM
Summary: There is a right way and a wrong way of doing things. The right way brings attention to potential problems. The wrong way gets you permanently banned from this site. Read on for details.

Problem: A member has an issue with a decision a moderator makes. This may be due to a post that was deleted/moved, or a warning or ban.

Compounding the Problem: The current trend if someone disagrees is to continue posting, however each consecutive post becomes more and more judgemental to the moderators. This will always lead to a ban, if taken too far. Typically a person is given one warning. If the continue past the warning, a ban is always given.

Making It Worse: All too often someone that has been banned registers a new account. THIS WILL RESULT IN A PERMANENT BAN OF ALL ACCOUNTS! Duplicate accounts is a serious rule violation, and almost always means the person is no longer welcome at this site. A permanent ban is issued on all accounts. This is as serious as it gets. DON'T BE THAT GUY!

The Right Thing To Do: If you have a problem with something a moderator did, the first thing you need to do is STOP. Take a step back, if you don't know why a moderator did something, look at the rules. If you can understand what happened, correct the problem and be on your way. If you don't understand, or you want clarification, use the CONTACT US link on the left. Be as detailed as possible in your message. The more detailed you are, the easier it is to research. If you provide no information at all, you will be ignored. If you want to be heard, tell us everything. Even if you don't get a response right away, someone will read it in a timely manner. On weekends, sometimes it may take a day or 2, however during weekday standard business hours, they will usually be read in a matter of hours. Make sure you provide your real email address if you want a response! Sometimes someone will need to contact you to get more information or clarification. Make sure they can reach you!

Finally: Sometimes there is a legitimate issue, perhaps a moderator misunderstood something. Other times, the moderator was correct in his action. We do our best to explain this to you. There are reasons for all the rules, and none of the reasons are to upset you. They are there so that the site runs smoothly, the forums aren't cluttered with useless junk, and people at least make an attempt to behave civilly. The majority of the time there may have just been a misunderstanding, either on the member's part, or on the moderators. Bans and warnings can be reduced or removed if there is a reason to. Don't assume just because it says you are banned for a week, it can't be reduced once we clear up the misunderstanding.

To reiterate the point above. If you disagree, DO NOT CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT! If you do, you will only be hurting yourself. We DO NOT ALLOW multiple accounts, and you will be permanently banned from the site! Handle it the proper way and we can continue to have a peaceful site, and you can stay out of trouble.

To contact a moderator, please send a direct message to the moderator account. Please
note you must be logged in to send messages to this account.

Please include a link if you are contacting us regarding a thread.

DO NOT SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES TO THIS ACCOUNT, USE THE LINK ABOVE.

Re: Rules Clarification: problems with moderators&
Friday, April 21, 2006 3:49 PM
"contact us" is your friend

Re: Rules Clarification: problems with moderato
Friday, April 21, 2006 4:12 PM
One more thing to add to the above...

If you send a message via CONTACT US, and when we check you have duplicate accounts, you will not get a response, instead you will be permanently banned.

If you want to be heard, make sure you do the right thing. If you jump the gun and start breaking rules after the initial problem, at the very least you can expect not to be taken seriously. If you follow the rules to the best of your knowledge, though, you will be treated as fairly as possible.

To contact a moderator, please send a direct message to the moderator account. Please
note you must be logged in to send messages to this account.

Please include a link if you are contacting us regarding a thread.

DO NOT SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES TO THIS ACCOUNT, USE THE LINK ABOVE.
Friday, April 21, 2006 4:19 PM
meh rules.....

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:48 PM
ahhh problem memebers.....

::shakes finger::

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:53 PM
ok so why was this needed to be posted anonymously? i dont get that

Friday, April 21, 2006 5:56 PM
Its easier to make it bold The individual mod accounts (at least mine) can't do that. No it wasn't me who made this post.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, April 21, 2006 6:00 PM
Jimmy Z, dave, Fannon Codder, Shifted are all asshats!!!!!!!!!!!

jk, you guys rule

ps. I know I spelled fodders name wrong...

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, April 21, 2006 6:06 PM
didnt know that an internet forum turned into nazi germany

lol jk

Im out there Jerry and Im LOVIN EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Friday, April 21, 2006 7:38 PM
themarin8r wrote:ok so why was this needed to be posted anonymously? i dont get that
Because there are people on this site who can't get past "who posts something" under the guise of a moderator. It's either that mod being a dick, or picking on someone or whatever that starts a giant complaining session.

This being an official statement of policy for the site, it's better that it comes from "the management" in general and not from one specific person.

(for the record, I didn't post it either)

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Friday, April 21, 2006 7:51 PM
JimmyZ wrote:

This being an official statement of policy for the site, it's better that it comes from "the management" in general and not from one specific person.

Exactly why the moderator account exists...

WE ARE THE MODERATOR. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. ASSIMILATE OR BE DESTROYED.

Friday, April 21, 2006 8:22 PM
Well, not to be the ass here, but I've always hit "contact" and e-mailed dave when problems happend, and I've never gotten a response. For example, remember the "Versus" forum? That great forum everyone loves. How many problems arrised in there? Now given, a lot of them were obvious, however there were the few posts/topics that got locked, or people received warnings and they wanted to dispute them and again, no one ever received a reply or anything fixed. Seems ridiculous that the mods/staff are always saying "use the contact link", yet every ocassion I've used it, it never changed a thing.

*shrug* Just my two cents . . .
Friday, April 21, 2006 8:35 PM
If you want to make sure the mods see it, send an email to the Forum Moderator (go to profile, click on send message), and it will get to all of us. Somebody will respond to you on that one.

Friday, April 21, 2006 8:47 PM
I know what you guys go through, Im a global mod over at Automotive Forums. Pain in the ass when members act like morons. Especially when they create new accounts. Ive had IP searches come up with 50+ accounts that one member has created.

So I agree, Contact Us is awesomeooo

chuck norris outran a cavalier. he just stood still.
Saturday, April 22, 2006 8:14 AM

Saturday, April 22, 2006 8:23 AM
LoL this is great! I miss it when Dave post these kinda things.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 8:41 AM
to those who bitch and moan about moderators not doing anything - report to the Forum Moderator account. it works.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain

MS Walk April 21 - I HIT MY GOAL!!! thanks to those of you who have supported me!
Saturday, April 22, 2006 11:53 AM
Don't do stupid ish...

Won't be any problems...Pretty simple if you ask me, but someone always messes it up for all of us.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:05 PM
My vote is Porkchop Sandwiches of who "posted" it. Or at least wrote it. Is the true identity going to be revealed?

Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:06 PM
Who cares who wrote it??

Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:17 PM
I don't think it matters who it really is, but wouldn't that make someone have two accounts? Tisk tisk brakin' the rules too. I could care less if everyone thought it was me. So from now on just blame me for everything not the mods.

[quote=���V�p��к]My vote is Porkchop Sandwiches of who "posted" it. Or at least wrote it. Is the true identity going to be revealed?Nice of you to tell me that I don't need to host your sig you puck....

Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:18 PM
Grr... Note to self make a edit button.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 1:15 PM
yeah all of it sounds good

but what happens when you write in the contact us, and no one responds?

doesnt make me personally want to contact anyone

Saturday, April 22, 2006 1:22 PM
^ Read this post again, you'll find this...

Shifted wrote:If you want to make sure the mods see it, send an email to the Forum Moderator (go to profile, click on send message), and it will get to all of us. Somebody will respond to you on that one.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 1:26 PM
my question is. Do moderators ever get reprimanded?

not saying that any of the mods deserve it. I usually don't argue with them because I have a firefox button to the rules...

Just wondering, out of curiosity, if there's any consequence for a moderator wrongfully banning or locking someone or something?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search