Rules Clarification: problems with moderators - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Rules Clarification: problems with moderato
Saturday, April 22, 2006 1:29 PM
A strict talking to from Dave

Yes, some moderators have been told they've done something wrong. Nothing yet to the point where they themselves have recieved a ban or warning, but what Dave usually does is reverses whatever the mod did that was wrong, then the error is brought to the mods attention.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, April 22, 2006 2:52 PM
Shifted wrote:A strict talking to from Dave

Yes, some moderators have been told they've done something wrong. Nothing yet to the point where they themselves have recieved a ban or warning, but what Dave usually does is reverses whatever the mod did that was wrong, then the error is brought to the mods attention.
I don't think Dave calls and talks, but types I'm sure.

I just wanted to add that it is not that we get mad or upset about the things that mods to, but the way they do things kinda shows there attuide towards things. Most I know get upset or pissy about us not always going by the rules. I remember a time where there where less rules. It was great, but then again we didn't have all these members around here. I guess I should say lets just be a little nicer about things. Maybe giving away some of the powers like editing post we all talk about would help some, and maybe the power to move or delete post only made by you. Of couse a time frame of like 2 hours or something would be nice so no one trys to be funny. Can't we all just get along?

Saturday, April 22, 2006 5:10 PM
Hey Trey, I don't need you to host my sig anymore.
Haha, if you get online once in a decade I'd let ya know. =P j/k. I never see you online so I was going to make a new topic and call it "Trey, get online" but then I would have heard the typical "Just e-mail him newb" or "That's what e-mail is for" from all the .org's patrolmen. Not really, I was never gonna do that.
As for the problem, I think some people just lack common sense. Why do people create a whole new topic about why their previous topic was deleted? Maybe they just want to stand out. *shrugs*

Saturday, April 22, 2006 5:26 PM
[quote=ºÇãVî§pÉëк]Why do people create a whole new topic about why their previous topic was deleted? Maybe they just want to stand out. *shrugs*

Because they think by defying authority and "revolting" that its going to get them somewhere ... Never works, but people still try, and always will.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 12:17 AM
TRD Cav Fire wrote:LoL this is great! I miss it when Dave post these kinda things.

Maybe he did.

TRD Cav Fire wrote:I don't think it matters who it really is, but wouldn't that make someone have two accounts?

Technically, "moderator" is a system account. It doesn't belong to any individual person. It belongs to the site.

navycav3 wrote:but what happens when you write in the contact us, and no one responds?

I do my best to respond to everyone. Sometimes a reply is not warranted. Other times, as was stated in the initial post, the person was found to have broken additional rules, and I don't feel a reply is even deserved. In the past I was not organized enough to be able to reply to everyone. I am now far more organized then I was just a few months ago, and it is easier for me to address issues in a timely manner.

Inari wrote:my question is. Do moderators ever get reprimanded?

If need be, yes. Most, if not all issues that have come up in the past have been resolved in one of two ways. Either it was found that the moderator acted fairly and whatever happened was deserved, or what the moderator did was reversed (moved posts were moved back, or bans/warns were removed). If there was any question or problem with what a moderator did, all of the moderators were informed. Everyone keeps in contact as much as possible, so that problems hopefully only come up once and we all can learn from it.

TRD Cav Fire wrote:I just wanted to add that it is not that we get mad or upset about the things that mods to, but the way they do things kinda shows there attuide towards things.

"Attitude" is a grey area. I don't think any of us are mind readers, and when it comes to what we think someone's attitude is, many times we are only guessing. Whenever something comes up with moderators that attitude and fairness to another person is in question, I go to the moderator in question first and have them explain it to me. This is why I ask for as much detail as possible when someone is reporting a problem or issue. I want to be as fair as possible, and giving equal time to both sides is part of it.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Sunday, April 23, 2006 6:14 AM
Dave - I just wanted to add that you always have done a good job on doing things around here. I never once have had any problems with something you did. Others I have got a little upset about, but in the end it all got done the right way. It just takes a little longer for others. We don't want you to have to be on this thing all the time. I'm sure the girl would be a tad pissed about that. Also on the side note are we going to be getting those edit buttons we heard about from time to time?

Sunday, April 23, 2006 9:35 AM
Well that answers my question.

Glad to see this post up here, Actually clears up a lot of things, especially for the newer members and even some of the older.

Monday, April 24, 2006 12:52 PM
Quote:

I do my best to respond to everyone. Sometimes a reply is not warranted. Other times, as was stated in the initial post, the person was found to have broken additional rules, and I don't feel a reply is even deserved. In the past I was not organized enough to be able to reply to everyone. I am now far more organized then I was just a few months ago, and it is easier for me to address issues in a timely manner.

I do want to comment on this. Since I have been in this situation myself I know. When something happens and you do not feel (say I do not feel) it was right, you can get pissed, then you contact the "Contact US" button, but nothing for days, so then you create another account, or maybe do something else that breaks the rules. I realize breaking the rules is breaking the rules, but not hearing from someone, anyone can really make things worse.

I can also say thanks to dave for getting back with me and talking to me about a issue and working it out.
I do feel the mods should be a little more open to talking to us about issue's, but of course we do not know which mod did what when it happens. A lot of times regardless who is wrong just being able to talk to someone settles a lot.

Now we all know and hopefully will not do things that causes more problems, but if someone does keep in mind they could be really mad because they do not understand, and regardless of the issue everyone deserves a response.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 8:56 PM
A trouble ticket system would be nice. Open a ticket if you disagree with a Mod, or have a problem with another member, or problems with the site; basically whenever you want to talk to a Mod.

Something simple where a user can open a ticket, assign one of 3 categories (Mod Dispute, Member Problem, Site Problem), and a status (Open, Closed-ModFavor, Closed-UserFavor, Rejected), and write in a description. Could be basically like a thread where only the Mod and User can post.

Solves a few problems. Users know that the Mod got the message. Mod has to respond, even if it's just Rejecting a rant (Delete, Reject, one click each). Would take about the same amount of time for the Mod to process items in the Ticket Queue as answering PMs. Users get feedback, and formal place to discuss any problems, keep them out of the forums hopefully. Log trail in case Dave (or one of the other mods) needs to get involved in a dispute.

I've seen Dave's mad C0d3 /\/\0nk3y skills, can't tell me you couldn't do something like this.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 5:09 AM
i guess im just too nice, in 4-5 years and proalby over 10,000 posts, ive never been banned or had a post of mine locked. i guess it all comes down to how you act.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:47 PM
i was banned before for saying racial slurs...... oops

cool thread!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:58 PM
A message from duaLife to anybody who argues with the moderators:

Thursday, April 27, 2006 6:20 PM
This post has been made several times, several different ways, and I'm sure, by several different moderators. Perhaps a support forum could help answer these questions fastest.

I was given a warning not too long ago saying something to the effect that I made no posts that contribute to the site, and it told me if I had moved on (not sure what was meant by this) that I could stop posting here all together.

Although my opinions differ from others on a regular basis, I don't think they have ever warranted being told that my thoughts don't need to be expressed here anymore. I tried the contact us link (because questioning a moderator usually is responded to by "use the contact us link") and wrote a brief summary of what happened. I asked for examples of comments that I made that would warrant me being banned if I continued whatever it was that I was doing wrong. I never got a response.

I'm suggesting a support forum where people could go to ask these kinds of questions. I still to this day don't know what I did to be warned. Sure there could be problems with having a support forum for these kinds of issues. But I believe that the way someone acts in such a forum would be a good indicator of if they should just be banned, or perhaps their ideas should be embraced.

I really enjoy posting and reading other peoples' posts on this site. It's a fantastic time-killer. But I also think that there are things we can do to make these forums even better. Give it some thought guys... A support forum could be a great way to improve the site. We have a community full of ideas, and I think we should discuss any and all of them that could improve our site.

Friday, April 28, 2006 3:00 PM
Your ban was:

Reason: Everything you're posting is negative. If you've moved on... then move on. No need to stick around here just to put people down. Keep it up and it will result in a ban.

The mod was saying that if you've moved on to another vehicle, and you don't want to support J's anymore, then either move on, or don't put those down who still own them. (At least thats my take on it). We will never tell a person, unless they REALLY deserve it, that they aren't wanted, we will just perma-ban them.

Saturday, April 29, 2006 4:32 PM
Holy mother of god ... that is a long finger RatZero. Also, does contacting the forum moderator via instant messaging could as "contacting the moderator"? Just curious.

dan

Saturday, April 29, 2006 7:05 PM
Quote:

Also, does contacting the forum moderator via instant messaging could as "contacting the moderator"?

Huh?

Saturday, April 29, 2006 7:29 PM
Personally I like to think the 'Forum Moderator' is this guy who sees and knows all (kinda of like jesus & santa). It makes me think twice about posting bad things about people because I dont want to upset forum moderator.

Sunday, April 30, 2006 8:36 AM
Shifted wrote:
Quote:

Also, does contacting the forum moderator via instant messaging could as "contacting the moderator"?

Huh?

change could to count

dan

Monday, May 01, 2006 6:18 AM
dubduce18s wrote:Also, does contacting the forum moderator via instant messaging count as "contacting the moderator"? Just curious.
See sig....
Quote:

PM's sent to this account may not be received

To contact a moderator, please send a direct message to the moderator account. Please
note you must be logged in to send messages to this account.

Please include a link if you are contacting us regarding a thread.

DO NOT SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES TO THIS ACCOUNT, USE THE LINK ABOVE.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search