Snow Drifting - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Snow Drifting
Sunday, December 26, 2010 8:08 PM
Anyone do it? I'm from Maine, so it's turned into a bit of a weekend hobby for me and my Cavalier.

Re: Snow Drifting
Sunday, December 26, 2010 8:13 PM
Stupid ricer, hopefully you "drift" into a light pole



Re: Snow Drifting
Sunday, December 26, 2010 9:01 PM
Nope. Used to do a little ice sliding in the wagon though.


Easy there DK, as long as it is in a very empty place, there's nothing wrong with a little young and stupid. Though getting stuck would suck....



Re: Snow Drifting
Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:41 PM
Dave Z wrote:

Nope. Used to do a little ice sliding in the wagon though.


Easy there DK, as long as it is in a very empty place, there's nothing wrong with a little young and stupid. Though getting stuck would suck....


And funny as hell, as we all point and laugh and wait for the "I bent XXXXX while sliding around on the snow" lol




Re: Snow Drifting
Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:13 PM
I care about my car too much to do anything that stupid.




its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Re: Snow Drifting
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:19 AM
Well seing as how my old cavalier was painted like the general lee and i went off roading in it and it saw more air time then mike jordan its pretty fun stuff....but If your going to do it expect a little damage and have a back up car



Re: Snow Drifting
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 10:02 AM
Crazy Clint wrote:

Well seing as how my old cavalier was painted like the general lee and i went off roading in it and it saw more air time then mike jordan its pretty fun stuff....but If your going to do it expect a little damage and have a back up car


That's Michael to you.




Re: Snow Drifting
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:35 PM
Clint, pics are a must of said cavalier painted like the general lee lol




Re: Snow Drifting
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:49 PM
No one here can tell me you don't do a bit of ass dragging when you're on a deserted snow covered road...

Lighten up a little and have some fun.



Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Re: Snow Drifting
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:24 PM
Holy crap Clint, what's that tuba thing attached to your bumper?
Re: Snow Drifting
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:02 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:

No one here can tell me you don't do a bit of ass dragging when you're on a deserted snow covered road...

Lighten up a little and have some fun.



Lol, this is true, But you never do it in a car you actually care about. I had a old 1983 Delta 88 RWD I played in the snow with. But it was always in huge empty parking lots at night. But I will find it funny if the OP posts a topic about him bending something while being a dumbass. I got lucky, never hurt anything, but I cant say the same thing for my buddy who always went with in his 84 Grand marquis. He hit the curb and bent his front lower control arm to hell. Needless to say, his folks (we were 16-17ish) were not happy with him, and I never did it again after that.





Re: Snow Drifting
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:42 PM
I drift all the time. The parking lot at work is awesome for it.



Re: Snow Drifting
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:40 PM
It's hard not to play around when you have a 1000' long driveway with perfectly packed snow... switch to 720p and enjoy





Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Re: Snow Drifting
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:12 PM
I'm from Maine as well. Of course I do it. Bent my rear beam axle least year too.
Learned my lesson, do it in big empty parking lots now from time to time.




Re: Snow Drifting
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:29 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:

No one here can tell me you don't do a bit of ass dragging when you're on a deserted snow covered road...

Lighten up a little and have some fun.


I can. I never have or never will ass drag my 03 cavalier in the snow. Mainly because it sleeps during the winter.




its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Re: Snow Drifting
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:41 PM
ive done it...dont get to as much here in texas...but i loved doing it back in NC...donuts in an empty lot are the best



Re: Snow Drifting
Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:45 PM
Snow here = maybe your yard coated in snow for a day or two it never gets on the roads around here.



Re: Snow Drifting
Saturday, January 01, 2011 4:02 PM
I might do a little snow drifting in something that's RWD/4WD. But definately cannot drift a FWD.





i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Re: Snow Drifting
Saturday, January 01, 2011 7:19 PM
I do it almost constantly, with how bad the road have been lately its almost something you HAVE to do otherwise you just plow the nose or overshoot the corner, this isnt in a jbody but in a taurus station wagon hahaha.
Re: Snow Drifting
Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:14 PM
I used to all the time, but this car e-brake doesn't work and i was disappointed when it snowed =(



Re: Snow Drifting
Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:30 PM
Damn, never thought I'd see that much hate over a little parking lot sliding.

I'm not too worried about damaging anything in my car, as the fastest I've ever even gotten my car to go was barely over 20, and I've got a reserve account in my bank specifically for car parts that I stocked up over the summer.

I'm a little surprised at how quickly some of you got freaked out by the idea of snow drifting though. It's really not that bad for the car as long as it's done properly, (I.E. not ripping the E-brake and seeing how far you can slide) and up here in Maine, there's really not much else to do involving cars, especially during winter.

SHOoff, you definitely can drift a FWD car, especially in snow. It's an entirely different technique and style than RWD or AWD drifting, and probably better named, as people above said, as ass dragging, but it's drifting nonetheless. It's really easy with a car as light as a Cavalier, too.

And to Transporter, awesome video, and I want your driveway.

Re: Snow Drifting
Thursday, January 06, 2011 1:02 AM
Drifting: Drifting refers to a driving technique and to a motorsport where the driver intentionally oversteers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels through turns, while maintaining vehicle control and a high exit speed. ...

Using the e-brake is not oversteering the vehicle to cause a loss of traction while maintaining......

I most certainly CAN use the e-brake to do what everyone is posting about. But is is NOT drifting. Sorry bout your luck.





i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Re: Snow Drifting
Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:51 PM
Actually, it is oversteer. Oversteer is any kind of driving where the rear end of the car swings out further than the front end in a turn.
If ripping the e-brake isn't oversteering, there's no such thing as drifting, considering it's the main form of turn initiation in drifting competitions like Formula D.
And the correct definition for drifting is any form of driving where the rear wheels of a car have lost traction.

OT: I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but I ended up sliding (sort of drifting, but without intention) around a police officer, doing about 45, after being cut off by a plow truck doing half my speed. Mostly my fault, and it was scary as hell, but I managed to keep my car under control enough to avoid the cop and the truck. Lucky me.

Has anyone else been having luck with snow in their area? We got a light dusting last night, but after that, the roads almost immediately cleared out and melted again...
Re: Snow Drifting
Thursday, January 06, 2011 5:51 PM
Wow i am also suprised there is so much hate for this topic. I am guilty of doing it from time to time. I go to college in the buffalo area and when i get frustrated from classes at night when the parking lot is empty i go out and blow off some steam. Like others have said there is the potential to break something but if done with some caution that risk if very low. So in the end yes a lot of us do it, go out and have fun just be carefull too!



Re: Snow Drifting
Friday, January 07, 2011 10:27 AM
Andrew Soucy wrote:

Damn, never thought I'd see that much hate over a little parking lot sliding.

I'm not too worried about damaging anything in my car, as the fastest I've ever even gotten my car to go was barely over 20, and I've got a reserve account in my bank specifically for car parts that I stocked up over the summer.

I'm a little surprised at how quickly some of you got freaked out by the idea of snow drifting though. It's really not that bad for the car as long as it's done properly, (I.E. not ripping the E-brake and seeing how far you can slide) and up here in Maine, there's really not much else to do involving cars, especially during winter.

SHOoff, you definitely can drift a FWD car, especially in snow. It's an entirely different technique and style than RWD or AWD drifting, and probably better named, as people above said, as ass dragging, but it's drifting nonetheless. It's really easy with a car as light as a Cavalier, too.

And to Transporter, awesome video, and I want your driveway.


You'd be amazed with the amount of hate people spew here with anything. Power sliding or whatever else in the winter is fun. As long as you are doing it away from people and property, I don't see the issue. But, 'OH MY GOD, IT'S A CAVALIER', you son of a bitch. How dare you talk about having fun in your J-Body on a J-Body site . Note, you didn't even say you were drifting on the street, but right away, you're evil, you're illegal, you're a ricer . . . Gets old real quick . . .

I don't know. Maybe I've just grown out of the car forum phase which is why I never post anymore, lol.
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search