is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:57 AM
im not complaining too much about the mileage i get, but i was just curious if there are any aftermarket parts/accessories that give good mileage gains? i wont buy a $400 air intake and $400 exhaust to MAYBE get 2 mpg, but if there are any tried and true products out there id like to hear about them.

Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Saturday, April 30, 2011 7:26 PM
a $400 intake and $400 exhaust would be a turbo my friend.

do an ebay intake (if you have any mechanical skill, you'll be able to make one from a 95+ work) and have a shop do you up a 2.25 exhaust (roughly$250) if you can keep your foot out of it, you should see a 4-5 mpg increase. beyond that, you'll be looking at removing seats, taking out the spare and jack, etc...



JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Sunday, May 01, 2011 7:44 AM
doesnt the 95 intake box mount in the corner of the engine compartment? the airbox on my 94 is mounted on the top radiator support (right beside the battery towards the divers side)

i may be incorrect....if so, what brand intake works best to do this modification?
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Sunday, May 01, 2011 8:01 AM
Ebay intake for 30-40 dollars.....other than that, just keep fuel filter/air filters, all that good stuff clean and new....dont keep alot of heavy things in the car as weight also hurt mpg
IMO do NOT get an exhaust if you really want to save gas, yes it will help but just you hearing the sound will make your foot "heavier"....trust me on that.



Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Sunday, May 01, 2011 2:16 PM
Keep your air filter clean. Keep your tires properly inflated. Do regular oil changes and other maintenance. Use a decent brand of gas, not some cheap crap. Drive conservatively i.e. don't floor it, coast whenever possible, etc. As everyone else has said, get an eBay intake and get a good filter for it i.e. K&N or AEM. Doing these things should improve your gas mileage pretty decently.



IT'S BACK!!!
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Sunday, May 01, 2011 5:05 PM
im not finding much for intakes on ebay for pre-95 2.2L. any help.....?
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Sunday, May 01, 2011 7:42 PM
Plugs and wires. Had a corroded terminal inside of my plug wire and I had a noticeable drop in mileage. Took me an extra 1/8 tank over a 120 miles drive.

Your money is better spent on a good tune up.



Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Monday, May 02, 2011 3:37 PM
CASEY HELLING wrote:

im not finding much for intakes on ebay for pre-95 2.2L. any help.....?


you'll be able to modify one for a 95-97 to work with ease



JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Monday, May 02, 2011 7:44 PM
get a short ram for the 98-02 SFI 2.2, it will just put the filter toward the front of the car instead of where the factory box it.



Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 6:58 AM
If you do a lot of highway driving technically speaking lowering your car a bit will increase your gas mileage. What you need to remember though is how much money are you putting up front versus when you will see any return. If you wouldn't see a return with in a decent amount of time then your better off not doing it at all (if this is for financial reasons). To top it off its difficult to put a MPG savings with certain mods as many things change once a new thing is added and each car is different with its own needs.




Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:02 AM
Sorry and forgot to add your best way to increase your fuel economy is to work on your driving habits.

- ac on at highway speeds with windows up
- cruise control when you can
- mild acceleration
- windows down ac off at slower speeds (arguable but most agree on < 45 mph)
- correct tire pressure
- coast to a red lite

Things like this will be noticeable immediately with no cost to you, start there.





Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:41 AM
One thing you didn't state is whether your car is a 3spd auto or 5spd manual transmission. If it has an auto trans. it might be worth looking into swapping a manual in or swapping/customizing the new GM 6spd autos in.








Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:17 AM
Spike J wrote:

One thing you didn't state is whether your car is a 3spd auto or 5spd manual transmission. If it has an auto trans. it might be worth looking into swapping a manual in or swapping/customizing the new GM 6spd autos in.

that would cost way more then he would ever get back in "extra gas miles"



Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:40 AM
Sorry to say it, but the 2.2L was not the most fuel efficient engine to be put into the J-Body. My '99 Z24 easily saw 10 MPG more on the highway versus my '02 2200 Sunfire. Both were 5-speed manuals.
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:48 AM
Copter wrote:


- coast to a red lite


Most fuel injected vehicles, when coming to a stop (0% throttle) will actually shut the injectors off using 0 fuel. Not sure this is true on your 94, but it's something to consider.



JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:56 AM
I'm talking in terms when you see a yellow lite in the distance there is no need to maintain your 45 mph until u need to start braking. Coast and if it changes great back on gas if not then slow down. Obviously within limits.




Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 11:22 AM
95LsCoupe wrote:

Spike J wrote:

One thing you didn't state is whether your car is a 3spd auto or 5spd manual transmission. If it has an auto trans. it might be worth looking into swapping a manual in or swapping/customizing the new GM 6spd autos in.

that would cost way more then he would ever get back in "extra gas miles"

Swapping in a manual wouldn't since they were standard in Cavaliers & Sunbirds as well as a slew of other GM fwd vehicles.
The 6spd auto would be a bit of an investment unless you have good fabrication skills or know somebody that does. A few Fiero owners have swapped the G6's 6spd tranny into Fiero's though.








Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:46 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

Copter wrote:


- coast to a red lite


Most fuel injected vehicles, when coming to a stop (0% throttle) will actually shut the injectors off using 0 fuel. Not sure this is true on your 94, but it's something to consider.


Not when your coasting in neutral Although true 0% is debatable to begin with.

I noticed a lot of people havnt mentioned tire pressure. If you keep your tire pressure up and run it a little high (sidewall pressure usually) it will help with gas mileage a bit. A cheap free flowing intake can help but an exhaust isnt going to do dick and isnt worth it. I dont know where you live but probably the biggest thing you can do is keep the car under 60mph. Basically if you can choose between taking the freeway or highway.. take the highway. My car averages 20mpg on the freeway (75mph) and 32mg on the highway (60mph) although your numbers will be different.

Its basically, check your air filter and tire pressure, and drive like a grandma. Anything past that really isnt going to do much because the car is going to burn the gas its going to burn.





Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:57 PM
Weebel wrote:

Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

Copter wrote:


- coast to a red lite


Most fuel injected vehicles, when coming to a stop (0% throttle) will actually shut the injectors off using 0 fuel. Not sure this is true on your 94, but it's something to consider.


Not when your coasting in neutral Although true 0% is debatable to begin with.


not sure who this is aimed at... but
1.) copter wrote coasting to a stoplight, as in neutral. i did not, assuming i meant 0% throttle in gear coming to a stop. there's this wonderful thing called DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off). breaking that down, IF you're decelerating, the fuel is cut off. if you're coasting, (for all the car knows, idling), you're not decelerating thus no cut off.



JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:33 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

Weebel wrote:

Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

Copter wrote:


- coast to a red lite


Most fuel injected vehicles, when coming to a stop (0% throttle) will actually shut the injectors off using 0 fuel. Not sure this is true on your 94, but it's something to consider.


Not when your coasting in neutral Although true 0% is debatable to begin with.


not sure who this is aimed at... but
1.) copter wrote coasting to a stoplight, as in neutral. i did not, assuming i meant 0% throttle in gear coming to a stop. there's this wonderful thing called DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off). breaking that down, IF you're decelerating, the fuel is cut off. if you're coasting, (for all the car knows, idling), you're not decelerating thus no cut off.


Just my two cents, When im coming down a hill or if i'm coming up to a red light, I let off of the gas to decelerate and if im decelerating too fast I will push the clutch back in to coast. By doing this with downshifting i'm averaging about 30MPG on my stock 2002 OHV 99% highway miles.
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Friday, May 06, 2011 9:48 AM
Jordan Duval wrote:

Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

Weebel wrote:

Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

Copter wrote:


- coast to a red lite


Most fuel injected vehicles, when coming to a stop (0% throttle) will actually shut the injectors off using 0 fuel. Not sure this is true on your 94, but it's something to consider.


Not when your coasting in neutral Although true 0% is debatable to begin with.


not sure who this is aimed at... but
1.) copter wrote coasting to a stoplight, as in neutral. i did not, assuming i meant 0% throttle in gear coming to a stop. there's this wonderful thing called DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off). breaking that down, IF you're decelerating, the fuel is cut off. if you're coasting, (for all the car knows, idling), you're not decelerating thus no cut off.


Just my two cents, When im coming down a hill or if i'm coming up to a red light, I let off of the gas to decelerate and if im decelerating too fast I will push the clutch back in to coast. By doing this with downshifting i'm averaging about 30MPG on my stock 2002 OHV 99% highway miles.

being in gear will slow you down more off the gas then being in neutral(clutching)




Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Friday, May 06, 2011 12:22 PM
Quote:

being in gear will slow you down more off the gas then being in neutral(clutching)


What I meant was if I'm slowing down too much with being in gear and off of the throttle, then I will push the clutch in so that I am coasting to re-gain some speed. If i am going to fast with the clutch in I will let the clutch out with the car in gear still to slow down. So basically I never touch the throttle when coming up to a light or going down a hill unless absolutely necessary.
Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Friday, May 06, 2011 6:02 PM
The best way to increase MPG:





Weight reduction.
[/thread]






Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Sunday, May 08, 2011 5:31 PM
So i went through this thread a few days ago and didn't reply cause I couldn't think of anything. But i thought about it for a day or so and then randomly remembered the rear wheel skirts and air damns and such. I'm sure not what kind of effects they would have, but fuel misers use them like gold.

You can get some heavy duty rubber type material at home improvement stores. I can't remember what type of material is it, but you can build rear wheel skirts that cover the wheels almost entirely. Here is a how to on a geo metro. The basic steps would be the same for almost all cars. As well as some guy who did it on a honda civic. Seems that these guys are using ABS plastics, and other materials like fiberglass.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/5th-generation-civic-hatchback-improving-aerodynamics-312.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-plastic-rear-wheel-skirts-geo-metro-103.html

You can also add a front air damn to help bring more air over the top of the car versus underneath, which in effect would act like lowering the car and improve mileage.

I'd read more on that website. Those fuel miser guys are great at doing things on the cheap, but be careful. Don't go too nuts, unless you really want too. Some of them are pretty crazy too!




Re: is there anything to increase MPG with a 94 2.2L
Monday, May 09, 2011 5:15 AM
Interesting... however this being a 2nd gen Cavalier it'll be hard making wheel skirts look right especially on the cheap. There's always Moondiscs. Hot Rod did a wind tunnel test and they did offer measurable aerodynamics efficiency over standard rims











Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search