Cooling system draining - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cooling system draining
Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:04 AM
I replaced my thermostat yesterday on the 2200 (2001), and replaced what ever pissed out w/ water. I've never done any cooling system work or watched anyone do one before so I don't know every little thing about drain/fill. I'm going to drain and fill the whole system w/ antifreeze and water now, SO, my question is, is there a drain screw on the rad, or do you have to just disconect the lower rad hose to drain the cooling system?

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.

Re: Cooling system draining
Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:50 AM
yes, the drain plug is on the drivers side, under the front bumper, near the bottom.

2006 Honda Civic EX Sedan AT-Galaxy Grey Metallic Pearl, 37,000 miles,Loaded with everything except Leather and Nav, Tint-5% rear, 20% front, Calipers painted Subaru WR Blue, Ipod Integration, XenonDepot 4300K HID Conversion kit, Debadged, Optima Red-Top, No performance mods because its an auto, and its under warranty.

Monday, December 29, 2008 6:02 PM
Do yourself a favor.. go to the store and get yourself radiator flush...

it should only cost about 5-6 dollers, drain your old fluid useing the drain plug lower right corner of the radiator behind the bumper (as described above) twist to the left and pull.. make sure you have a tarp down and a large drain pan as it will pretty much want to spill everywhere.

once empty replace drain plug dump contents of bottle of flush into your system then fill with water only..run turn your car on and run for 15-20 minutes on high heat..shut the car off and drain again.. refill with water only the second time ,run car on high heat for 15-20 minutes again...after given time..drain..replace plug and refill your sytem a third time with pre mixed 50/50 dexcool/water mix (easier and few dollers cheaper then mixing yourself)

its pretty straight forward and easy enough to do you shouldnt mess it up...saves you about 75-80 dollers over going to a shop for them to do it..

Monday, December 29, 2008 6:03 PM
wow.. didnt realize how old this was..lol.. whoops.. sure ya done it by now...so nevermind.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search