Engine Code: P0440...What Should I Do? - Page 2 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Engine Code: P0440...What Should I Do?
Monday, May 17, 2010 6:49 AM
To test the purge you only need to disconnect the electrical connecter and apply 12 volts to it. You should hear the "click" as this is an electrical valve to release the pressure. Not sure about checking the "seal" but you can hear the operation of the valve.

Labrat

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:19 PM
Purge Valve could be stuck open or closed but a vacuum pump and apply 12 volts to it the vacuum should drop if it dont you have a bad valve

03 Chevy Cavalier $1500.00
Turbo T3/4 $100.00
Inter-cooler $40.00
Kicking your $10,000 cars ass $ priceless $
Monday, May 17, 2010 10:13 PM
Check the rear pugre valve. My snap on man scanned and recommended this afgter i had replaced the front on next the the evap can. My cav would (fart) or exhale when i removed my gas cap.

Another day in the life of a J-body Owner has come upon us
Monday, May 17, 2010 10:36 PM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:^^weird I had the same code come in, found the same problem at the same site online like you did(great minds think alike? lol).. only downfall was this morning I pulled out that little solenoid harness to find out it was fine. used a volt meter and tested continuity from one pin to the other on both wires.. and both wires had full continuity.
lucky you though

Just so you know......

If just one strand is making contact you will show good continuity, however when a voltage is applied it could cause enough of a resistance that the solenoid will not opperate correctly. I have also had them be broken but make contact most of the time. Makes it a PITA to diagnose.

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:59 AM
So I know I'm bringing this back from the dead but I could use some help. I believe i need a new Evap Vent Solenoid but I cannot find the part anywhere. i checked Carquest, Napa, Advance Auto and Autozone. I looked online at AC Delco and GM. The only place I believe i found it was GM Parts Direct. I believe the part i'm looking for is part number 3. I need the solenoid by thew right rear tire. A while back while changing my fuel filter i noticed that the top half was cracked off from the bottom half. I patched it using JB Weld but I don't think it worked. I believe I need a new one as the hoses and wiring look fine and so does the solenoid up front. I;m also thorowing this same code (EVAP system) and have been since I basically bought the car. With Emissions testing coming up soon I need to get this fixed. Anyone know where I can get this part ASAP?

Thanks,
Jordan
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:59 AM
I really need to get this fixed soon. Does anyone know where i can get the part?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search