2003 Cavalier Hydraulic Clutch Line - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2003 Cavalier Hydraulic Clutch Line
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 5:51 PM
Heya guys!

I am having a problem with my 2003 Cavalier. Basically, while I was driving the clutch pedal would not come back up after I pushed it to the floor. I am an automotive repair n00b, but I did some research and it appears that it can only really be one of a few things. It is either the clutch master cylinder, the clutch slave cylinder, or a leak in the hoses connecting any of the clutch cylinder components. I have since replaced the clutch master cylinder and the hose between the clutch fluid reservoir and the master cylinder, and while it appears to be better than it was (maybe its just my imagination ), the clutch system will still slowly leak pressure (I don't think it is leaking fluid) until the clutch pedal fails to return. I figured the next step was to replace the hose between the slave and master cylinders. This is where I am stuck.

The hose appears to be made of metal and covered in a plastic sheath and seems to be very proprietary. I cannot find where to buy one of these. This is where my questions start.

Does anyone know where I can get this part?
Also, assuming replacing the hose fails, I would have to replace the slave cylinder right?
Would that involve removing the transmission to access the cylinder?
There are a couple of other minor parts I would like to replace on the car as well. Does anyone know of some good junk yards (somewhere around the Seattle / Bothell WA area would be nice) that are likely to have cavaliers around that I can part out? That would certainly solve all of my problems at once.

I hope someone out there has information that would help me. If you know answers to any of these questions please reply to this post. Thank you in advance.

NOTE: I did also post this in the Regional forum for my region. If this is determined to be cross posting, I would like the one in the regional forum deleted please as I think this belongs in the maintenance forum. I would do it myself, but I do not see how.

David

Re: 2003 Cavalier Hydraulic Clutch Line
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:11 PM
That's funny. I had my 2005, and at 13,000 miles, the slave cylinder went. I had the same problem, went to shift, and POOF, clutch never came up and car stalled. Then around 30,000, the same issue happened again, only this time it was the line that went from the clutch reservoir and down. Check that line and see if any wear has formed in the line and rubbed through. From what I was told, if the line is positioned wrong, when you shift, that hose will move and vibrate from the line pressure, and it will rub on an engine bracket. It eventually rubs through all the way and POOF, clutch pressure is gone. Mine had a damn near pin-sized hole, and it killed my clutch, lol. For both repairs, they were warranty and my local dealer had the parts in stock. If you can't find an aftermarket, go to a dealer. The line was cheap anyway. The cost on the form was maybe $20 if I remember?
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:57 AM
Oh gawd I hope it's not my slave cylinder! Thank you for your advice. Somehow I doubt the dealers around here will sell one for $20. They wanted $150 for a master cylinder which I found for $50 online. >.< Dealer is probably the only choice I have for those obscure hoses though. My cavi did exactly the same thing yours did too. Clutch suddenly lost 99% of the pressure at once. Thanks for your response.

David
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:01 PM
Had an 04 Cav and now an 05 Cav, both needed the clutch line replaced. On both of mine it was routed past the main harness connector which is full of sharp edges and chews at the rubber line. I highly doubt you will find it anywhere but at a dealer, it was about $150 (cdn) and is fairly easy to replace, a spring clip on each end and then it needs to be bled afterward. I did the '05 on a side street since that was where it went on me lol.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:11 PM
Haha yes! That is exactly what I am *praying* that it is. I really don't want to spend $150 on a stupid $20 hose that might not even fix it but it's looking that will be my only choice. Thank you.

David
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:28 PM
I just found out the part is called the clutch actuator pipe. It costs $105 through the local dealer.

David
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:50 PM
$105?? Holy hell that is being raped.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:54 PM
Ya it is. I am trying to find a cavi at a local junk yard. I did find a mid nineties (1995 or 1995) cavi. Will the part from that cavi fit my 2003 cavi? Thanks.

David
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:12 PM
I wouldn't think so. Different engine/configuration. That line may be similar though. Hopefully someone will let you know. I'm not 100% sure.
Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:49 PM
Exodus 259 wrote:$105?? Holy hell that is being raped.

Youre an idiot. Dealers only make about 10-15% profit on parts sale to the public. They paid about $90ish for the part.

Would you like it to be for free and they also blow you in the parking lot

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:41 PM
Rob wrote:

Youre an idiot. Dealers only make about 10-15% profit on parts sale to the public. They paid about $90ish for the part.

Dude are you a @!#$ idiot? That would mean every part I'm buying thru the dealership is at cost???? somehow I seriously doubt that @!#$ man. I own a shop, chevrolet dealship delivers to my shop twice a day, no freight charge or anything.....You ever heard of jobber? dealer net? retail? Seriously man quit talking to people bout @!#$ you dont know a damn thing about. /rant end

Your WHAT hurts?

Friday, August 13, 2010 3:28 AM
Seems expensive. Check www.rockauto.com

My 03 has 127K miles on it now and still shifts like brand new. I'm lucky I guess.
Friday, August 13, 2010 11:08 AM
Rob wrote:

You're a dildo. I worked at the dealer schmuck. I saw the paper. And if you bothered to read the post, I said I DID get it for free because IT WAS WARRANTY. I just read cost on the paperwork that dildos like you are not meant to see.
Friday, August 13, 2010 1:06 PM
Exodus 259 wrote:
Rob wrote:

You're a dildo. I worked at the dealer schmuck. I saw the paper. And if you bothered to read the post, I said I DID get it for free because IT WAS WARRANTY. I just read cost on the paperwork that dildos like you are not meant to see.

Haha thank u Exodus. This gut us a retard. I already blew up at him in another post. He needs to crawl back under that dealer rock he lives under and and let the adults talk.

Friday, August 13, 2010 3:14 PM
That's about it. People that just come into topics to start s*it, yet not offer any input. F*ck em.
Friday, August 13, 2010 3:20 PM
Wheelerman wrote:
Rob wrote:

Dude are you a @!#$ idiot? That would mean every part I'm buying thru the dealership is at cost???? somehow I seriously doubt that @!#$ man. I own a shop, chevrolet dealship delivers to my shop twice a day, no freight charge or anything.....You ever heard of jobber? dealer net? retail? Seriously man quit talking to people bout @!#$ you dont know a damn thing about. /rant end

IFS

We have several dealers that come to my shop daily as well.

The dealer doesnt make a lot of money on parts sales.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Friday, August 13, 2010 3:24 PM
Rob wrote:
Wheelerman wrote:
Rob wrote:

IFS

Man, ur a tard. U just pretty much made my point right there. They dont make money selling to jobbers, LIKE WE SAID. They do, however, make a TON of money to the public. How do I know, BC I deal with dealers EVERY SINGLE DAY. They do only sell to jobbers at 10-15% above cost, but normally, and in most (not all) cases have markups of well over 100% to the public. Jeez. But I guess you will act like u know more about it then any of us do right.

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:00 PM
Rob wrote:
Wheelerman wrote:
Rob wrote:

IFS

So you have your own shop, you see ALL these prices huh, OK so lets look at this for example.....My gm "resources" says that a 2000 astro van fuel pump retails AT the dealership for $399.64 pt # 25344820.
I order it from them for my shop and it costs me $269.73. Hmm I think they rape everyone off the street. Think about it dude, ALL the employees in the entire dealership dont get their wages from just car sales. Jesus dude, and quit talking .

Your WHAT hurts?
Friday, August 13, 2010 4:58 PM
A dealer barely makes any money on parts. They earn the most off of Service, followed by car sales.
Friday, August 13, 2010 5:11 PM
i work for a dealer

Employee = Cost + 10%
Wholesale = Cost + 25%
List = Cost + 50 % - cost + 75% (depending on item)

Friday, August 13, 2010 5:22 PM
I know GM dealers with 200% mark up on parts.

Had a friend that worked for a Ford repair center, and he sold parts. He could decide the mark up he wanted based on his mood/if he knew the person/etc...

FU Tuning

Friday, August 13, 2010 5:56 PM
200% i beleive it...

you almost never pay the manufacturer list price... its usually lower but sometimes higher

Friday, August 13, 2010 6:30 PM
I can name at least 4 to 5 dealers just off the top of my head that charge a min of 100% markup to the public. Its there normal thing.

Saturday, September 15, 2012 11:45 PM
Don't want to bump an old thread but does anyone have a part number for the clutch line, having a hell of a time finding it anywhere. It's not the actuator pipe, that is the part that the line connects to by the firewall, if i am not mistaken.
Thanks,
Lee
Thursday, February 19, 2015 5:11 AM
hey guys back to the problem at hand, I have a 2004 cavalier and the same thing happened to me, holding up traffic I had to push my car out of the road. Had to come up with a quick fix. I used duck tape wrapped it around the hose where the hole was and then used two small hose clamps, its working,was able to get my car home . But I also can not find a replacement , not yet so far.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search