GETRAG TRANNY NOISE - Page 22 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: GETRAG TRANNY NOISE
Friday, September 02, 2005 5:47 AM
this thread is ages old, but I have a 2003 and have never had a problem with a noise. However my clutch is a lot stiffer, than my fiances 2005 cavi. Her clutch engagement is really smooth, mine is really quick, like a shortened clutch cable on a non-hydraulic system.

Will these 4 parts make it more like her 05 clutch?

I like the feel of it at current, and it makes for very fasth shifts but if I ever go to sell the car the new owner may not be so pleased with the fast engagement of the clutch

-Chris

Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:07 AM
so after 2003 there is not rattle. if they changed something from 2004-2005 they should know what they changed to fix the rattle correct

'spit chew hits soldiers boot'
"thats a real nasty habit you got there"
"this stuff will make you a sexual tyransaur just like me"
jesse the body ventura in Predator
Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:26 AM
and they are also still using the getrag 5 speed on the cobalt so is anybody noticing problems after 2004 models. because if not they what is causing it and should know how to fix it correct?

Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:05 PM
my 05 makes the noise below 2000 rpms...has since new.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 6:53 PM
this is just b.s. we shouldnt have to deal with this some bull@!#$ fluid swaps and testing and guessing. their transmission is flawed when it rattles when using. never happened before and shouldnt happen now. they need to cowboy up and fix it

Saturday, September 10, 2005 11:22 AM
^As you can see the thread is kinda old so the TSB only shows from 2000-2003 and as NWcavi showed the noise is till there on the 2005.
But that what you get, when you have a German tranny.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Saturday, September 10, 2005 6:02 PM
i never had a noise but when shifting at high rpm my car was hard to get into third.so i tried royal purple and it was fine in the summer but shifting in the winter was to hard. so i went to mobil 1 atf and the shifting was smoother. but then i tried amsoil atf and wow smooth as a babies butt. and i never miss third. http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx

see ya!

Monday, September 12, 2005 11:59 PM
After all my moaning and groaning over this rattling transmission (just bought that car 3 weeks ago). I think I have found myself a solution. Putting it up for sale.

Why you ask? Because I bought it for 7k and can probably sell it for 9k or 10k (the seller really undercut himself).

How will I get around? Well, I entered a contest this spring...Win a Dream Car Lease through Chrysler Canada and a freakin won!!! I can't believe it. A 2 year lease on a 2005 Dodge Viper. I'm still in shock. Instead of making line of credit payments on the Cavalier I'll be fueling the Viper, I know, I know...but it's going to be a fun 2 years.

Thanks once again to everyone here especially Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. I really appreciated your help during my brief stint as a Z24 owner. Who knows, in 2 years time, I may look for another one. Cheers!
Tuesday, October 11, 2005 6:24 PM
i have a 05 sunfire and after 2500 miles (i bought it brand new) i already ahve the noise, its @!#$ gay. im going back to the dealer.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:57 PM
Hey,

So some guys on here are running synthetic ATF as opposed to Syncromesh fluid> I am going to change mine soon, and I was thinking of either the GM Syncromesh, or the Amsoil Syncromesh??

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

Will ATF hurt, and does the syncromesh have extra additives?

Oh yeah, My 2000 Sunfire has 197,000KM ( 121,000 miles ) on it and it is nice and quiet still, so I wanna keep it that way if possible!!

Thanks,

Will

Real Cars ( and Trucks. ) Have 3 Pedals, 2 Shifters, and No Sparkplugs!!
Wednesday, October 12, 2005 9:57 PM
William Bos wrote:Hey,

So some guys on here are running synthetic ATF as opposed to Syncromesh fluid> I am going to change mine soon, and I was thinking of either the GM Syncromesh, or the Amsoil Syncromesh??

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

Will ATF hurt, and does the syncromesh have extra additives?

Oh yeah, My 2000 Sunfire has 197,000KM ( 121,000 miles ) on it and it is nice and quiet still, so I wanna keep it that way if possible!!

Thanks,

Will
the car calls for ATF so it should be fine.

see ya!

Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:02 AM
Adam Radford wrote:i have a 05 sunfire and after 2500 miles (i bought it brand new) i already ahve the noise, its @!#$ gay. im going back to the dealer.

the rattle started about the same time for me with my 05 Sunfire.I've taken it to two different dealers here in town. One said it was the exaust gasses pulsing through my header, but I had the rattle long before I put on my pacesetter header.

The other dealership said there was a TSA for the Getrag tranny, but it did not apply to my car because that problem was fixed with the 04 model year. They said they could do the "wavey washer fix" if I wanted. However since the TSA does not apply to my car it is not covered by the warrentee, so i would have to pay for parts and labor

Thursday, October 13, 2005 1:56 PM
funny thing. i used to have a severe lugging rattle noise. i replaced my clutch and that noise was 100% gone, however, now i had the pennies in a can noise that went away when the clutch was pressed in. now, though, that noise has gone away. i've done nothing special to the car. it just went away on its own.

Peace Out!!!
Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:03 PM
MiniTransAm/02WS6TA wrote:Indeed they are. Here's a link to a thread that discusses it and includes the TSB.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=63374&t=24710&p=1

I personally used the B&M in my car and it fixed the noise. Just make sure you use the Synthetic ATF

You will need 3 qts and will add it through the fill plug on the transmission which is above the check plug. GM's "fix" for this problem was to just overfill the tranny with a synthetic fluid. Unless you live in a warm climate, don't use the Saturn fluid. #1 it's crazy expensive (or was) and #2 it will feel like your shifting through mud when it get's cold out.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 3:46 PM
Andrew Darlington wrote:
MiniTransAm/02WS6TA wrote:Indeed they are. Here's a link to a thread that discusses it and includes the TSB.

I personally used the B&M in my car and it fixed the noise. Just make sure you use the Synthetic ATF

You will need 3 qts and will add it through the fill plug on the transmission which is above the check plug. GM's "fix" for this problem was to just overfill the tranny with a synthetic fluid. Unless you live in a warm climate, don't use the Saturn fluid. #1 it's crazy expensive (or was) and #2 it will feel like your shifting through mud when it get's cold out.

3 qts not needed, only 2 qts.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:49 AM
From the TSB on the first page....

Repair for Noise #1
Replace the transmission fluid with Saturn Manual Transmission Lubricant, P/N 21018899. Overfill to a capacity of 2.4L (2.6 qts). A possible side effect of this repair may be a higher shift effort.

While I don't recommend the Saturn fluid because it will make your shifts harder, you still need to overfill the tranny regardless of which fluid you choose to try. Most people I have talked to just dump all 3 qts in.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:38 PM
OK i have the same noise in 1st and 2nd gear ,I've tried Mobil 1 and it's still there,seems a little quieter,but still there.So for those who are running AMSOIL atf whats been your results?If no results are posted within the week,i guess I'll try the b&m atf since it seems to be getting the best reviews.Long and old thread,but alot of useful information,thanks for all that were involved.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:03 PM
Andrew Darlington wrote:

why do you have to get the b&m synthetic for? i thought it was the plan jane b&m trick shift you were to put in it....

but non the less it doesnt fix the issue... its just a junk tranny....

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:17 PM
bump,anybody with amsoil have any good results to post?

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:50 AM
Pyros777 wrote:Well I found this info posted once on a website somewhere. It seems to be an official statement from GM.
Grinding/Rattle Type Noise Coming From Transmission (Diagnose and Perform Repair) #02-07-29-001 - (01/28/2002)
Grinding/Rattle Type Noise Coming From Transmission (Diagnose and Perform Repair)
2000-02 Chevrolet Cavalier

2001-02 Oldsmobile Alero

2000-02 Pontiac Sunfire

2001-02 Pontiac Grand Am

with Manual Transmission (RPO M86 or M94)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a grinding or rattle type noise coming from the transmission. The noise usually occurs with the transmission in first or second gear at low RPMs and can be intermittent.

Cause
This condition may be originated by the natural harmonics of the engine that leads to a vibration in the transmission.

Correction
There are two separate noises. Follow the diagnostic procedures listed below to determine which noise the vehicle has and perform the outlined repair. If you are comparing like vehicles, you must compare vehicles with the same motor and similar mileage.

Diagnosis for Noise #1
This is a very distinct noise that is usually much louder than the second noise that can be associated with this transmission. If the vehicle is not making any noise when trying to verify the condition, it can be induced by making several tight left hand circles with the vehicle at normal operating temperature. Making a sharp right hand turn will usually stop the noise. While the noise is occurring, in order to distinguish between the two noises, you can press lightly on the clutch pedal without releasing the clutch and the noise will NOT go away or change. As a second diagnostic aid, while the vehicle is making the noise, shift to third gear and the noise will stop. If the noise is determined to be this type, perform the repair for noise #1.

Repair for Noise #1
Replace the transmission fluid with Saturn Manual Transmission Lubricant, P/N 21018899. Overfill to a capacity of 2.4L (2.6 qts). A possible side effect of this repair may be a higher shift effort.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual.
2. Place a suitable container under the transmission assembly.
3. Remove the drain plug located on the bottom of the transmission and completely drain the fluid.
4. Re-install the drain plug. Tighten

Tighten the drain plug to 38N·m (28 lb ft).

5. Lower the vehicle.
6. Remove the fill plug located on the top/middle of transmission on the driver side, near the red vent cap. If you use the check level plug on the side of the transmission, you will not be able to overfill the transmission.

Important
Fill the transmission to the amount specified. Too much lubricant will cause the fluid to leak from the vent. Not enough fluid will defeat the purpose of this bulletin

7. Fill the transmission with 2.4L (2.6 qts) of Saturn Manual Transmission Lubricant P/N 21018899. DO NOT USE THE RED VENT CAP TO FILL.
8. Re-install the fill plug. Tighten
Tighten the fill plug to 38 N·m(28 lb ft).

Diagnosis for Noise #2
This noise, commonly referred to as gear rattle, can be induced by lugging the engine in any gear, but is usually most noticeable in first or second gear. While the noise is occurring, if you press lightly on the clutch pedal without releasing the clutch, the noise will be reduced or eliminated.

Repair for Noise #2

Do not attempt to repair this noise. This is a characteristic of the vehicle and any vehicle equipped with a manual transmission can be made to make a similar noise. Driving at slightly higher engine RPM levels will reduce this noise.

Parts Information
Part Number 21018899
Description Lubricant, Saturn Manual Transmission
QTY 3

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

I assume this will be fine to do on for my F23 HHR? I'll be using Amsoil.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:22 PM
This was the one I had the best results.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, February 26, 2010 10:03 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:This was the one I had the best results.

Ditto.
Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:59 AM
I'll again vouch for the B&M Synthetic trick shift. Had it in my vehicle probably for much longer than I should have and never had a problem. Just changed it out and used the same fluid and amount again. The reason I went with the trick shift is that the Saturn fluid is a synthetic which from what Getrag said was critical to this bulletin working. A rep for Getrag mentions it on page 6 of this thread.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:22 AM
Just did a flush on the tranny last night with MotoMaster ATF Dextron III fluid. Most of the noise is gone now but still groans at 30 MPH.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:18 AM
I thought I had the getrag rattle on my 2003 cavalier, as my car made an awful sound like "pennies in a can" around 2000 rpm. I couldn't understand how anyone could live with the noise, it was extremely loud! Turns out the throttle wire was making contact with metal in the engine bay, creating the noise haha. Sure glad that was solved.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search