TIPS TO SAVE ON GAS!!! (Save some $$) - Page 7 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: TIPS TO SAVE ON GAS!!! (Save some $$)
Thursday, June 02, 2005 10:04 AM
^Correct!
------------------------------
Latest info for June 2005

The national price for regular unleaded gasoline fell 2.8 cents over the past week to $2.10 a gallon, according to a weekly survey of service stations by the Energy Information Administration (EIA).
Although gasoline prices have fallen for seven straight weeks, the latest week's price was still a nickel higher than a year ago.
In the weekly EIA survey, the West Coast had the most expensive regular unleaded gasoline, with the price down 4.2 cents to $2.36 a gallon. San Francisco topped the EIA's survey of cities, with the price of gasoline down 7.3 cents at $2.43 a gallon.
The Gulf Coast states had the cheapest fuel, with the price down 2.6 cents at $2 per gallon.
Among major cities, Houston had the cheapest pump price at $1.96 a gallon; Los Angeles drivers paid $2.41; a gallon cost $2.33 in Seattle, $2.25 in Miami, $2.16 in New York City, $2.11 in Chicago, $2.10 in Boston and $2.07 in Denver.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:29 AM
According to AAA, the stubbornly high cost of crude oil likely will mean motorists will continue to pay pump prices in excess of $2 per gallon during the summer months. On the other hand, it appears the record high national average price of $2.28 sent on April 11, 2005, will not be revisited in the next few months, barring any major refining or distribution disruptions, according to an auto club news release.
"OPEC has steadily increased their oil production this year to help dampen high energy prices and is expected to agree to another increase — 500,000 barrels per day — at their June 15 meeting in Vienna," said Dawn Duffy, AAA spokesman. "Financial markets appear to have already factored in this anticipated move into current oil pricing, however, so a formal declaration is not expected to impact prices."
Crude oil prices, which had fallen below $50 per barrel in May, surged higher in June and are now trading near $55. This increase boosted national gas prices in the past two weeks, too, which currently average $2.13 per gallon.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 7:42 PM
When the "acetone in gasoline" articles started appearing

on the internet about 3 months ago, I decided to give it

a try. I've been impressed, particularly with the smoother

idle.

Lots of anti-articles have also appeared.

But, I'm convinced and will stay with the program.

This is an up-to-date on the internet -

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive#Individual_Reports
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:06 AM
Latest info

The average price for gasoline surged to a new record of $2.33 a gallon, reflecting higher crude oil costs, according to the Energy Information Administration (EIA).
The government said the 10.2 cent rise over the prior week was one of the biggest changes in weekly gasoline costs ever recorded by the government. The old record pump price of $2.28 a gallon was set in mid-April, The new record price is up 41 cents from a year ago, based on the EIA's weekly survey of service stations.
In the weekly EIA survey, the West Coast had the most expensive regular unleaded gasoline, with the price up 6.8 cents at $2.48 a gallon. San Francisco was at the top of the agency's survey of cities, with the price of gasoline up 5.6 cents at $2.58.
The Gulf Coast states, where many refineries are located, had the cheapest fuel, with the price up 11.8 cents at $2.24 per gallon. Among major cities, Houston had the lowest pump price, with fuel up 9.4 cents at $2.19.
The EIA report also showed prices were up 9.9 cents at $2.42 in Chicago, up 5.6 cents at $2.41 in eattle, up 13.7 cents at $2.39 in Boston, up 12.1 cents at $2.38 in New York City, up 5.6 cents at $2.35 in Miami, and up 8.7 cents at $2.26 in Denver.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, July 15, 2005 2:38 PM
I just paid $2.76 for 91 octane, and it was higher for a while. Location: Sacramento CA
Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:02 AM
Gasoline prices, after declining for two weeks in a row, rose by a bare two-tenths of a penny over the last week to $2.29 a gallon, according to the Energy Information Administration's weekly survey of service stations.
The West Coast had the most expensive regular unleaded gasoline, with the price up 1.4 cents at $2.51 a gallon. San Francisco drivers paid the most at $2.58 a gallon.
The Gulf Coast states had the cheapest fuel, with the price down 2.5 cents at $2.18 per gallon. Among major cities, Houston had the lowest pump price, with fuel down 3.3 cents at $2.16.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:27 AM
The average retail gasoline price shaded downward by 0.2 cent a gallon over the last week to $2.61, Reuters reported, citing the weekly survey of service stations conducted by the Energy Information Administration (EIA).
The West Coast had the highest priced regular unleaded gasoline, with the cost up 3 cents at $2.74 a gallon. San Francisco was the city with the most expensive fuel, with the price of gasoline up 2.2 cents at $2.81.
The Gulf Coast states had the cheapest fuel, with the price down 2.5 cents at $2.53 per gallon. Among major cities, Houston had the cheapest price, with fuel down 3.3 cents at $2.53.
The EIA report also showed prices, rounded to the nearest penny, down 0.6 cent at $2.78 in Chicago, up 3.8 cents at $2.72 in Seattle, up 0.4 cent at $2.71 in Miami, up 3.1 cents at $2.62 in Cleveland, down 0.6 cent at $2.61 in New York City and unchanged at $2.61 in Boston.
However, pump costs could go higher because of disruptions in petroleum supplies caused by Hurricane Katrina, the story said. As much as 1 million barrels per day of oil production in the Gulf of Mexico could be lost for two weeks or more due to the storm.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 9:14 AM
The nationwide average price of self-serve regular gasoline has dropped 10.1 cents per gallon since reaching a new record high of $3.057 on Sept. 5, the Monday of Labor Day Weekend, according to AAA's daily, online Fuel Gauge Report.

The current nationwide average price of $2.956 per gallon is $1.115 more expensive than it was one year ago and 51.6 cents higher than one month ago.

The price of gasoline skyrocketed nationwide in the wake of destruction left by Hurricane Katrina, AAA said in a news release. Crucial oil refineries, pipelines, petroleum shipping and off-shore oil drilling platforms were idled and/or damaged by the storm. This resulted in severe strain to the nation's gasoline and diesel fuel distribution system and higher prices throughout the nation.

Although gasoline prices have declined in all regions of the country since the beginning of last week, they are still sharply higher than they were one month ago and remain above $3 per gallon in many areas.

In New England the average price has gone from $2.509 to $3.166 per gallon in one month. The Mid-Atlantic region saw its average price go from $2.523 to $3.151 per gallon, and the average price moved from $2.563 to $2.957 per gallon in the Great Lakes states.

Gasoline prices have gone from $2.435 to $2.864 per gallon in the Southeast since mid-August. In the Southwest, the average price jumped from $2.477 to $2.939, and in the Midwest the price rose from $2.482 to $2.915. In the West, the average price went from $2.538 to $2.964 per gallon.

Nationwide, the price of self-serve, mid-grade gasoline averages $3.139 per gallon, an increase from $2.59 per gallon in the middle of last month, and up from $1.954 one year ago. Self-serve premium averages $3.253 per gallon, up from $2.685 per gallon one month ago and $2.026 one year ago.

The national average prices for self-serve regular unleaded gasoline for AAA's mid-September survey for the last five years are: 2004, $1.841; 2003, $1.687; 2002, $1.408; 2001, $1.537; and 2000, $1.58.

AAA

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:02 AM
Has anyone read about adding assetone to your fuel to get better milege. Google it and check it out

98sunfire4dr
Friday, October 28, 2005 3:29 PM
I have heard that using a small amount of pure acetone in your fuel tank can increase gas mileage 10% or more. Im not sure exactly how it does this, but several people i work with have tried it and it seems to work for them. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but i think its 10 ounces for 50 litres, which is about the size of a sunfire gas tank. I dont reccomend this for cars still under manufacturer warranty because it could void the warranty on the car.

2001 Sunfire, 2.2L
Automatic
4Dr
Check engine light on
Friday, October 28, 2005 3:44 PM
My check engine light has been on for a month or so, and recently ive noticed the car surging when im using steady acceleration. I was wondering if it could be a sensor or something more serious. I was also wondering if there was any way to get the trouble codes out of the car without having to hook it up to a diagnostic computer.

2001 Sunfire, 2.2L
Automatic
4Dr

Re: Check engine light on
Monday, November 21, 2005 7:34 AM
^try disconnecting the neg connector on the battery for a good half hour. plsu i hear that if you pump the brakes it'll make the reset faster. if the CEL light comes back on, then its best to goto autozone and get a free diagnostic check to see whats the deal.
i'll have to try the acetone thingy and add it into my fuel tank. what was the amount to add again, 3-4 ounces to a full tank was it?

Monday, November 21, 2005 9:43 AM
fst_99Z24, for most it seems that 3 oz of acetone to 10 gal

of gas is the best mix....

It's working that way for me and for 3 friends that are now

convinced that it does improve mileage as well as 'zippier'

running....

Also, the engine oil stays cleaner, and I like that a lot....
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:25 AM
currently i am getting about 26-27mpg driving half and half on the highway(65-80) and local stop and go traffic. is that normal or is the car needed for some tunue-up? i do have the ld9. edmunds.com claims highway to be 30mpg.
i tracked the avg miles driven then filled up on full tank.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:06 PM
I don't if I'd risk putting a foreign body into my fuel tank aimed at increasing gas mileage while risking loss of power. I'm comfortable with 160 H.P @ 28 M.P.G.

OBJECTS ON MIRROR ARE FORDS AND HONDAS
Sunday, January 01, 2006 6:37 PM
I drive my 1998 Sunfire SE 2.2L 5 speed pretty hard most of the time. I started last year with 60k miles on it and now have almost 92k. I've found some pretty good ways to help with mileage. I still get 35+ driving from KC to OK border.
1) Buy a good synthetic oil either 0w-30,5-30, or 10-30. (note people assume that the 10-30 will be more restrictive to the crankshaft, but actually its not. ALL PAO/Ester Synthetics especially in the 10-30 family FLOW BETTER than 5-30 Petroleums and are energy conserving. Your probably thinking well the 5-30 is thinner. Might be, but they have proven it again and again that the synthetics will flow to somewhere around 54 below zero, and they are going to cool the internal motor better than the petroleum oil so a cooler motor will always make both more power and efficiency. Also you don't want a 5-30 in a car with 90K miles..over time the internal parts get a little loose and need a more bodied oil to keep things smooth. 5-30's especially petroleums don't do well in high sheer areas where the break down the 5-15's unlike the quality synthetics that will actually protect like a 30wt. Mileage increases from synthetics are usually small, but doing a across country drive I wouldn't doubt 1-3or4mpg increase.(I've had a great deal of luck with Redline Oils MTL on the tranny, I might have only picked up half a mpg but ill take it and in the winter, shifting is much smoother and quieter)
2) Buy quality spark plugs. Platinums and Iridiums set the standard for me. The are more reliable, more tolerable to corrosion, and they have shown slight increases as well. Should you find yourself buying a plug of this type...find aftermarket wires to unleash that extra bit of spark. Throttle response is better, mileage goes up, and you get a cleaner burn which helps emissions manageable.
3) Hi flow air cleaner and intakes are great. If you can manage to keep your right foot out of it, the gains are better usually than just a kn filter replacement alone because your improving the flow as well as make for air eligible to enter. More air/denser air=power which will =economy if driven right. Match this to a nice exhaust system and the gains are even larger.

other products that I have used to help increase mileage is the Sun Hyper Voltage Kit. I got a great little gain on the high end and mileage is better but seems to work alot better on 89-91 octane for some reason. haven't figured that out yet. Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner is AWESOME. Its about the best you can get. I've tried alot and this one really does the job, also great for added protection for those you run the NOS bottles or Forced Induction as well. Another great little fix is Redline Water Wetter. I goes in the coolant tank and drops the temp so that the motor runs cooler, it also keeps the water pump clean, and is a great way to help your cooling fans in the summer. I also bought the MSD ignition towers to go along with my NGK Iridium plugs and Magnecor wires. Great gain in the 2900-5400range for sure.
Considering aftermarket flywheel. The less they weigh, the easier the motor has which makes acceleration easier which should make economy better I would think
Friday, January 06, 2006 1:14 PM
I just figured I'd help everyone out here save some money and make everything a lot easier. Whether you want to use the best guaranteed fuel additive or if you want a K&N filter or some new oil you can get about a 30% discount through my site.

www.seanjohnson.biz is the site. Use the access code "fuel", and click on "fuel additive" under the "car care" link. Then click on "more info" for prices and... duh, more info.

You have to sign up as a client of mine, but only I will have your information... and it's completely free!

If you want any part from Checker Auto or just click on "Shops" then "Stores" then click on the picture of some of the stores which will bring up a quick sign up form (remember, it's free). Then once you've signed up it'll take you to the partner store home page.

From here click on "auto" then click on "partsamerica.com" which is Advance®, Checker®, Kragen®, Schucks®, and Discount® Auto Parts all in one website. Then you can either have the stuff shipped or have them package it up so you can go in and pick it up within the hour you ordered it... for a good discount mind you.

I really am interested if this helps anyone. Let me know how else I can help. Email me at fitnessguru@katewwdb.com with any questions or problems.

www.seanjohnson.biz
Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:30 AM
NO NO NO NO NO, when you all get to high school and take chemistry and physics you will learn that gases can become more dense and less dense, which is totally different from pressure you find in liquds, but almost the same principal, at the bottom of a lake all the water is puching down on itself and everything else, same with a gas, but density and pressure are 2 different things, density is how close the particles are from each other, did you ever heard of higher density water? no because H20 has properies that make it h20 if it becomes less dense, its a gas floating around same with petro, you dont get more gas b/c its colder, maybe you will lose about 1.5 microns worth when its warmer from the EVAPORATION

i know i make no sense, but yet i do, go look it up, you are online
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 8:56 AM
Latest from the AAA:

AAA, the nation's largest organization for motorists, said the nationwide average price of gasoline is down five cents per gallon from one week ago to $2.286. This is the lowest price since January 6, when gasoline cost $2.266 per gallon.

AAA said declining gasoline prices are a result of sharply lower oil prices. Despite such recent positive developments, today's gasoline price remains 40.2 cents higher than one year ago.

Statewide average prices are above $2.00 in every state, with Hawaii having the highest price in the nation at $2.863 per gallon. California and New York have the next highest average prices at $2.56 per gallon and $2.54 per gallon; respectively.

The lowest statewide average gasoline price in the nation is in Missouri at $2.091 per gallon. Ohio, Minnesota and Kentucky have the next to lowest average prices. Motorists are paying $2.136 in Minnesota, $2.137 in Ohio and $2.139 in Kentucky.

Nationwide, the price of self-serve, mid-grade gasoline averages $2.429 per gallon, a decrease from $2.47 per gallon in the middle of last month, and up from $2.01 one year ago. Self-serve premium averages $2.515 per gallon, down from $2.569 per gallon one month ago, and up from $2.06 one year ago.

The national average prices for self-serve regular unleaded gasoline for AAA's mid-February survey for the last five years are: 2005, $1.894; 2004, $1.643; 2003, $1.605; 2002, $1.12; and 2001, $1.492.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, March 04, 2006 7:29 PM
the lower the rpms, the better the gas mileage... for the most part, correct? what are some things i can do to lower my rpms on the highway??
i drive about 90miles a day 90% on the highway at 75mph and 3.5krpms... im getting around 340 miles a tank (definately a guessing game from now on since my gas gauge doesnt work properly...)

suggestions??? intake?

Monday, March 06, 2006 10:00 AM
Drive on the highest gear possible.
You may want to raise your tire psi (35psi) and not carry extra weight inside. Try driving 70mph instead of 75mph.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, April 08, 2006 6:30 PM
I've got an 02 Cav, 5 Spd, where the hell is this damn shift light everyones talking about????? Never seen it, I think it's a hoax.
Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:02 PM
its on the right side of the dash gauges in the corner ( or was ), my '91 had it, i pulled the bulb out, it was annoying.

Monday, April 10, 2006 4:57 PM
I have a 96 Z24 2.4L 4cyl 5spd and i started runing plus in it and i am getting better gas milage
Sunday, April 23, 2006 5:46 PM
I saw a lot of people were looking at my link for the gas additive. They couldn't keep up with production which broke contractual obligations. I will gladly let everyone know when it becomes available again, or if we get something better.

If anyone is interested in saving money let me know, so you can have a lot more to spend on rolling around of course. And for you entrepreneurs, I have a couple of openings for partnership positions. Email me with info on you with qualifications at fitnessguru@katewwdb.com. Meeting in person is not necessary, but a verbal exchange is.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search