Rear DEFOG isn't working - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear DEFOG isn't working
Monday, November 28, 2005 2:40 PM
2000 Sunfire 2.2. The rear windshield was replaced just a year and a half ago. Anyway, it hasn't been working in a month or two but now the ol lady is going to need it with winter and all. I checked the 30A fuse and it was good and I reseated the connectors on the contacts. WTF else could it be? Thanks!!!

BTW, window is tinted, but I don't see how that could harm anything.

Re: Rear DEFOG isn't working
Monday, November 28, 2005 3:13 PM
In the driver's side footwell behind the carpet is a green connector. Take it apart and look for the melted wire. Cut this wire out of the harness and reconnect, you should be good to go. There is no need to fuse this wire, as it wasn't fused in the 1st place, but I had the same problem on my car this fall.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800
Monday, November 28, 2005 4:47 PM
Really...thanks man!!!
Monday, November 28, 2005 7:45 PM
i will also give that a try.

but i think they cut my defroster brown stuff when they tinted my windows a while back.

Monday, November 28, 2005 9:44 PM
Yep, it's common for the defoster elements to be damaged when the tinter is cutting the tint material.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 5:47 AM
It sure was that damn connector. That's 10 ga. running through that tiny little connector...no wonder it shot @!#$. Should be a recall. Anyway, I spliced it with some 8 ga. Thanks again.
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 7:25 AM
Does this fixing the green wire only apply to 2.2's or certain year cars or what? I have a 98 Sunfire GT and my rear window defog hasn't worked in a year or so now. Would this be a problem that I might have as well??

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 7:31 AM
Don't know but you'll notice right off. Look under the carpet to the left of the floorboard and you'll see a green connector. The upper right hand side you'll find a thick 10 ga. black wire coming out of one side and a brown one out of the opposite side. The connector itself will look a little cooked as will the wires. It'll be somewhat difficult to seperate the connector as well as stripping the wires since they were cooked. The pins inside were totally shot and had melted through the plastic.
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 8:52 AM
fricken right man i havent had the rear defog since i bought my 99 firegt, im going to check this after work and ill come back posting the result
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:22 AM
oh and this should be a sticky since this seems to be pretty common
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:54 AM
No prob, some local guys figured it out this fall as a few of us were having the same problems.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?

For Sale:
Getrag '00-'02 2.4 8000kms $800

Saturday, December 03, 2005 11:34 AM
Back from the dead

I just checked mine, while repairing the rear defrost wiries. Mine is shot, but the connectors still are active as seen here. Sorry for the large pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

So do you think i can just use a 10awg jumper wire and solder it into place?

Saturday, December 03, 2005 11:37 AM
Here are the connectors:

Saturday, December 03, 2005 1:33 PM
Jackal wrote:Don't know but you'll notice right off. Look under the carpet to the left of the floorboard and you'll see a green connector. The upper right hand side you'll find a thick 10 ga. black wire coming out of one side and a brown one out of the opposite side. The connector itself will look a little cooked as will the wires. It'll be somewhat difficult to seperate the connector as well as stripping the wires since they were cooked. The pins inside were totally shot and had melted through the plastic.

I got a bit easier way to reconnect them, Use 3m wire taps, or something like it:

-OR-

This way you can tap both the brown and black wires and connect with just 1 wire or your choice. I used 12 guage wire.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search