Power steering problem. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power steering problem.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:38 AM
So for about a week and a half now i've noticed that every now and then when i turn to the left its like my power steering kicks out cause its so hard to turn i have to use two hands...literally. So 2 days ago i finally checked the fluid and it was a little low, not empty though. so i filled it up, and its still doing it.

Do i just need to give it more time?

I also the other day when i wasnt playing music(which is hardly ever) a squealing sound like it was a pulley. Could that be the problem?

Thanks.

2004 2.2L

Re: Power steering problem.
Friday, March 26, 2010 7:05 AM
Sounds like your pump is starting to fail. Either that or a loose belt.
Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:28 PM
I will check them out, thanks.
Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:34 PM
Roadking wrote:Sounds like your pump is starting to fail. Either that or a loose belt.

2004 J cars do not have a belt driven PS pump.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:52 PM
So what would you suggest mit?
Monday, May 03, 2010 7:12 PM
I dont understand why it would only do it to one side though, to the left. It doesnt look like there is a leak anywhere also
Wednesday, May 05, 2010 10:33 AM
Colby Kulyn wrote:So for about a week and a half now i've noticed that every now and then when i turn to the left its like my power steering kicks out cause its so hard to turn i have to use two hands...literally. So 2 days ago i finally checked the fluid and it was a little low, not empty though. so i filled it up, and its still doing it.

Do i just need to give it more time?

I also the other day when i wasnt playing music(which is hardly ever) a squealing sound like it was a pulley. Could that be the problem?

Thanks.

2004 2.2L

I had the same issue with my 05, but after I topped of the fluid it went away. Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least for now your topic gets a bump.
Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:45 PM
get it check by a asc shop! dont pay anything just tip the guy that tells you and do it urself! and find a house mechanic!!! to every problem there is a solution.

Ain't Nothing To it But To Do IT!!!
Thursday, May 06, 2010 3:03 PM
Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:31 PM
When the problem first started occurring i topped off the fluid, nothin changed. Last week i sucked some out to about mid level, it seems a little better after doing that. i emphasize on the word "little"
Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:04 PM
Roadking wrote:Sounds like your pump is starting to fail. Either that or a loose belt.

Which would be possible if the P/S wasnt driven by the camshaft

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:31 PM
90% sure the steering rack is the problem, you don't need a wheel alignment if it is replaced properly either and it can be repaired in only a few hours.
Friday, May 14, 2010 10:39 AM
I got car from grandma who lived in oregon with 24k miles, it now has 60k. im sure it was driven very easy since she's like old, and ofcourse ive pushed it hard every now and then. could temperature difference play any part in why it would be going out? i live in redding california, big difference in temperature from oregon.
Friday, May 14, 2010 12:59 PM
I don't really think the temp change is the problem, had your problem before and eventually it became so stiff that when I cranked the too hard leaving my friends driveway (thank god) then the end cap of the rack actually popped out and the spraying fluid almost ignited, could have lost my car completely and it was a huge mess.
If this were to happen on a rear exhaust manifold engine it could be "catastrophic".
You should be able to replace the steering rack yourself with a few tools and some patience, if your car is in good alignment now the rack can be changed w/o a new one, so don't be intimidated to take it on because eventually it will fail completely and demand to be fixed anyway.
Friday, May 14, 2010 3:07 PM
Thanks alot Lewis
Monday, May 17, 2010 3:01 PM
Took car to dealership for an inspection just to be double sure and they also said it was steering rack. however they wanted 900 $ to fix...no way. Anyone know a good site where to get one?
Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:42 PM
Steering rack replacement was a success. Took a buddy and I about 2 1/2 hours, with couple breaks for drinks.
Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:10 AM
Good job!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search