Buring antifreeze on exhaust manifold - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Buring antifreeze on exhaust manifold
Friday, February 22, 2013 3:39 PM
Hi all

i have a 2000 Z24, and its been leaking from the weep hole, but that is not the problem.
i had to add some antifreeze due to it being low, and i have some that universal crap, ( yes i know bad move) i did not put in a lot, maybe 3 to 4 cups total
everything is going about the same as always, but then i started seeing white smoke and the burning antifreeze smell.

i did some looking and saw that it was coming out of the Factory Air Pressure Bypass Open Heater Valve and spraying on the exhaust manifold. so i drained as much of the antifreeze as i could and put in new 50/50 and some full strength dexcool. Yes im using dexcool its been going good for 13 years why change. it was ok for about a day and it started doing it again.

the car runs fine, and it stays at the normal temp of 195. i wife said that she thinks that the smoke stopped when she turned off the heater. i do know that it should not matter
so any thoughts on why it is still venting like that??? did the Factory Air Pressure Bypass Open Heater Valve go bad or what.

when i drained it i did not see any jell anywhere or build up on the hoses, well the few that i could get too.

any help will be loved.

Exar

Re: Buring antifreeze on exhaust manifold
Friday, February 22, 2013 3:57 PM
forgot to add that it comes and goes... if it does it, it might take another day to do it again
Friday, February 22, 2013 5:16 PM
I'll bite.. what's this "Factory Air Pressure Bypass Open Heater Valve" you're talking about? I've never heard anything called that before.

Got a pic?
Friday, February 22, 2013 7:42 PM
LOL

yea i was the same way when i saw where it was coming from.

it is in the middle of the intake and outlet for the heater core. by the firewall.

it is too dark out right now to get a pic of it in the car sorry

Exar
Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:04 AM
Isnt that in the midle of the heater hoses assembly?Im quite sure it is
Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:01 AM
My guess is a clogged heater core.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, February 23, 2013 12:28 PM
i would think that but i get good heat and it does not leak all the time it comes and goes.

it might be clogged but i would think i would not get that much heat from it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search