Moving to Texas - South Central Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Moving to Texas
Sunday, May 04, 2008 7:38 AM
Ok so i am building up my 96 cavalier z24 and due to recent events i will be moving to texas in a few months. i was just wondering if anyone have an idea on do's and dont's with the car now that i am moving to a differant state. Any help anyone could give would be great. thank you.

Re: Moving to Texas
Sunday, May 04, 2008 7:48 AM
Make sure you can pass the E-test before you mod your car.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:38 PM
Well im in the precess of rebuilding the motor and putting forged internals in it. so nothing in the car will be differant. is there anything else i should be worried about because i know they have state inspections.
Sunday, May 04, 2008 6:12 PM
Just make sure it can pass an e-test and safety inspection, there's more information on the Texas DOT website.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 9:06 PM
what part of texas are you moving to man?

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!
Monday, May 05, 2008 3:43 AM
Ya, what part of texas. Most of texas does not have an e-test. I can tell you San Antonio, EL Paso, Corpus Christi, Laredo, McAllen, Austin dont have an e-tes. Not sure on Dallas-Fort Worth Area and Houston. I have lived in some of these area years ago and they didnt have e-test.
Monday, May 05, 2008 7:44 AM
I guarantee you DFW, Houston, and SA have E-tests, my boss is from SA and has an e-test sticker on his car, all the DFW guys talk about needing them, and I live in Houston so I know we need one.

Monday, May 05, 2008 8:35 AM
i will be moving to the garland. which if i am correct it is about 40 min from DFW.
Monday, May 05, 2008 10:48 AM
garland is pretty much dfw. thats cool when you get down get ahold of the texas j's we are always looking for new members

Monday, May 05, 2008 11:40 AM
I live in SA....we DONT have an E-test.....yet

Monday, May 05, 2008 2:21 PM
yup we got them some of us know were to get them even if your car is not up to e-par lol but you do need it in dfw. Like stephen said we have some members in the dallas/grand prairie area just let us know when you get in.

Monday, May 05, 2008 7:44 PM
herro there

HTOWN2200 - GMOFHOUSTON.COM - FACEBOOK - CARDOMAIN
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:27 AM
Hello!

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 7:57 AM
yeah e-test is in garland & all the dfw area

makes me glad i live in hunt county... all i have is a saftey inspection

nice & cheap compared to the test in dfw

shoot if i was you i would get a po box in quinlan (closest town to garland in hunt county)
then register your car in hunt county & then you can do inspections in hunt county & not have to worry about e-test

MikeC!
91 sunbird Convertible
3.1 with an automatic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3038464
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 12:23 PM
i recently searched online and it said that for 96 and up vehicles they just check the OBD2 system for the emissions. is that true? and if it is is there a chip that i could put in my car to fake out my computer? and the PO box thing is a real good idea. do PO boxes cost anything?
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 12:45 PM
they put a probe in the tailpipe to get readings on exhaust gasses & connect to the obdII & all that stuff & the computer thing they use reads all the emmision crap & then tells you pass or fail with what readings are for each catagory...

& it is a pain if you fail cause you got 15 days to get it fixed & passed & you still have to pay for the inspection even if you fail...

yeah P.O boxes cost, but it's like 25 or 40 a year or something like that

it's been almost 7 years since i had a po box so don't member the exact cost, but it's not that bad really, but with using it as your address & then regestering your car in that county, with the way the rules work in texas for inspections, you can get your car inspected in that county.

but if you have your car registered in a county that has e-test on the inspection, you can't get it inspected in any non e-test county, matter of fact they will tell you they can't touch the car because of it, but if the car is registered in the non e-test county than you can go to any non e-test county & get it inspected....

or that is what 1 inspection place told me once,,, the tx dot website should be able to explain it alot better...

MikeC!
91 sunbird Convertible
3.1 with an automatic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3038464
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 2:25 PM
My friend also told me that i could get a pipe build to replace the cat and switch it back and for for the E-test any thought s on that?
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 3:08 PM
just make a new friend thats a state inspector

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 3:58 PM
weird thing is ive never got the e-test done on my car in the past 3 years

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:02 PM
well keep an eye out when your getting on the fwy they always have those damn e-test trucks sitting there taking emission tests. If you see on stay on the service road lol

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:15 PM
is that what they do always wondered what the hell the trucks were doing there lol

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 4:34 PM
yup doing emission tests oh and if you fail there is always a cop close by to pull you over

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:39 PM
baggednine7(rick) wrote:just make a new friend thats a state inspector

*cough*quoted for truth*cough*

ITS THE TROOF!!

HTOWN2200 - GMOFHOUSTON.COM - FACEBOOK - CARDOMAIN
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:54 PM
what trucks you guys talkin about? r they in san antonio?

[img=http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7469/gmsofsacustomat3.jpg]
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 9:14 PM
how can they take the test without being so close that u can taste them? well i think i might do the PO box idea but how will that works cuz my address on my license would be differant. if u could explain this more that would be great
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search