LD9 External MSD/External Coil Conversion - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LD9 External MSD/External Coil Conversion
Sunday, October 15, 2006 8:14 AM
Manitoba Motorsports wrote:
SpeedRacerZ wrote:did you gut and rewire the 2.2 ICM, or leave it alone? The one I did, I gutted and rewired..... works great. I might get the MSD coils for when I do this to my '02.

no need to do all of that rewiring, the icm is just a control module that bases it's decisions on what information the sensors feed it. there is literally no difference in the 2.2/2200/2.4L ICM's basically just how the coils are mounted!

Well, this is nice to know now. It took alot of work to rewire that ICM to keep the factory harnesses in tact so that it could look factory.
It's all good though and nice to know there is no difference.
Personally, I didn't want to take a chance and use that 2.2 ICM setup on the 2.4 and have problems or miswiring issues.

Thanks for that information Manitoba. This will make the external DIS conversion much more simple.

By the way, I've got a couple of the 8224 MSD coils coming to replace the factory coils. Do you think there'll be that much difference besides the better looking coils?
I could never find the electrical specs on the factory coils when doing my research on the conversion but here they're decent coils.

Misnblu

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, October 15, 2006 4:31 PM
the diference all depends on whats done to the car, i know alot of people with the stockers making some good power.. imo the coils are only 60 or so bucks each so its a worthwhile upgrade for a hotter spark, i also did the MSD wires (custom tailor) to go with it all.. noticed it starts right away now and no missfires anymore

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:31 PM
damn it....wish saw this BEFORE the post i made...anyways....heres what i've done.....so far....

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=369336&t=369336

WHEN I'M GOD, EVERYONE DIES
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:50 PM
thats alright, i didnt really make it "known" untill talking to Gforcez24 on MSN one day and gave him a link to the article i made. I was planning on making a post on the org about it soon when i finished a couple more of my jbody articles but cats out of the bag now lol.

yours is looking good so far.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:08 PM
thanks....although...after reading all of this....i have to admit....i can see a SLIGHT advantage in using a 2.2 icm...in regards to the msd coil packs....and interface module.....just attaches right on the 2.2 icm......

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:21 AM
I emailed:

Manitoba Motorsports, Misnblu, and about 2 others to gather information, and then did the swap. It is very simple like the pictures state, and everyone had slightly different way to do it. I kinda picked what I thought would work best, and only cost a few bucks and 30 minutes.

Thanks to all who have given me information and made my swap possible.. I just wish that would have fixed my issue

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 12:31 PM
Well consider the fact you now have a custom ignition setup for much cheaper than going with the more expensive MSD complete system.
What took me two weeks of reseach and development and a day to fabricate, took you only a day or less. Nice work and good to see someone else going with the external DIS system.

On the Manitoba link for his setup, showed a picture of the IDI cover back on the engine with the spark plugs going under the IDI cover.
Nothing against that but the whole reason for me to do the setup was to let the cam towers show as they look so cool without the IDI cover.
Before doing the system, everytime I changed the plugs, I was amazed at how the engine looked without the cover on.
I did something about it. lol

Hope you get everything worked out and wish you luck with it.

Misnblu

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:05 PM
ge_forcez22 wrote:I emailed:

Manitoba Motorsports, Misnblu, and about 2 others to gather information, and then did the swap. It is very simple like the pictures state, and everyone had slightly different way to do it. I kinda picked what I thought would work best, and only cost a few bucks and 30 minutes.

Thanks to all who have given me information and made my swap possible.. I just wish that would have fixed my issue

no problem, next time your in town, gimmy a shout and i'll help you out with your misfire problem.. pretty sure we can nail it down no problem!

Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:08 PM
Misnblu wrote:Well consider the fact you now have a custom ignition setup for much cheaper than going with the more expensive MSD complete system.
What took me two weeks of reseach and development and a day to fabricate, took you only a day or less. Nice work and good to see someone else going with the external DIS system.

On the Manitoba link for his setup, showed a picture of the IDI cover back on the engine with the spark plugs going under the IDI cover.
Nothing against that but the whole reason for me to do the setup was to let the cam towers show as they look so cool without the IDI cover.
Before doing the system, everytime I changed the plugs, I was amazed at how the engine looked without the cover on.
I did something about it. lol

Hope you get everything worked out and wish you luck with it.

Misnblu

haha belive it or not, thats my girlfriends car! my car is appart for some serious modding (looking for 280hp+ N/A). she liked it better with the IDI cover back on.. all in personal preference's i guess...

Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:49 PM
I'd be interested in knowing what you're doing to your car to get that kind of horsepower.
I'm in the process of researching for a n/a build myself with 10.5:1 pistons, stageII head work and am looking at all possibilities from others.
Manitoba, if you want, you can PM me or e-mail me with what's going on with your car so I can get the information to make some decisions with my build. All information is helpful at this point of the planning stages.
Anyway, this turned out to be a good thread for sure.

Misnblu

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:29 PM
well I am at a complete loss... I have no idea where to try next...

I have done, crank sensor, huge grounds, new lifters, new plugs, wires, boots, ICM swap, new coils, octane booster, checked and double checked cams, valves, compression, timing, larger exhaust, still nothing, the issue is exactly the same.

I have a wire from my ICM purple/wht I believe going to my command start for signal, but I have no idea. I went from 229 @ 5000 to 180 at 5100.. CEL flashes misfire, and I have no idea, what to try next. I have thought of a complete MSD ignition and coil setup, but the different coils and ICM made absolutely no difference.

I can do a run too 6600 rpm, as long as I am not at WOT, I have not tried a open TB run like IAN suggested I try, just cause I run outta time... this sound familar to anyone??? bad wire to PCM, bad PCM, corrupt tune... I have no idea.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Friday, October 20, 2006 5:58 PM
Misnblu wrote:I'd be interested in knowing what you're doing to your car to get that kind of horsepower.
I'm in the process of researching for a n/a build myself with 10.5:1 pistons, stageII head work and am looking at all possibilities from others.
Manitoba, if you want, you can PM me or e-mail me with what's going on with your car so I can get the information to make some decisions with my build. All information is helpful at this point of the planning stages.
Anyway, this turned out to be a good thread for sure.

Misnblu

I'll contact you with some information or just post up in here in a week or so, I just moved into a new place and i'm still getting everything organized lol! I can tell you one thing its taking alot of time to do (car has been off the road for a year now) but the engine isnt the only thing i'm doing, extensive strengthening while lightening the car and keeping full interior, stereo, power everything, etc.. basically a street drivin race car.

Garrett... try running no boost through the system to see what it does.. let me know the results and next time your around if you need help as i said just gimmy a buzz!

Friday, October 20, 2006 6:11 PM
If you're going to post this kind of information on your twistedmotorsports.net website, I'll put it in my favorites and/ or sign up.
I'll probably sign up anyway and check back every so often for updates.
Thanks man.

Misnblu

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, October 20, 2006 8:56 PM
Quote:

I have not tried a open TB run like IAN suggested I try, just cause I run outta time.

I will give her a shot when I get back home. I also have a friend with an MSD DIS2 or w/e and some coils, so I will give that a shot.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 7:56 PM
i decided to go ahead and pick up a 2.2 icm....just to be able to do this.....

i think its going to make using the MSD coil packs and interface modules a lot neater than my previous idea....however....not sure which terminals are the triggers....and which are the 12 volts.....this is what i think.....

can anyone verify this....if i'm correct....it should be the icm off a '98 2200 (car was pretty f@#ked up)....thanks.....

Sunday, October 22, 2006 7:10 AM
yes two insides are the 12volt positives, two outsides are the coil controls...

Sunday, October 22, 2006 2:00 PM
great....thanks...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search