(Help) 2.2L ohv to 2.2L (2200) engine swap - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: (Help) 2.2L ohv to 2.2L (2200) engine swap
Sunday, June 07, 2009 9:05 AM
So does anyone have any ideas? Bob what would you want for the harness you have?

Monday, June 08, 2009 5:14 PM
I take it no one has any ideas. I noticed my crank sensor is three wire and the new one is only two wires is there a place i can get a diagram
Monday, June 08, 2009 6:39 PM
$50 shipped... is that fair to you? still has teh pcm hooked to it and everything
Monday, June 08, 2009 8:38 PM
I got it running tonight again a wire came unhooked, bob If I need the harness I will let you know and yes that is fair, Now for the fun to begin too restart a built head. whats around for the 2200 engine.
Tuesday, June 09, 2009 3:40 AM
they make oversize valves and check some of the things madjack has available for springs retains and rockers
Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:58 AM
A full Port and Polish job is needed with these motors. They aren't designed for performance, but for economy, so they need to be opened up a bit. The one millimeter oversized valves help let the motor breathe better.Karo @ CarCustoms.net has the +1mm valves as well as Aaron @ TurboTechRacing.com.

You can increase the compression ratio by surfacing the head and using a thinner head gasket. TTR carries the Comtic HG (use the 0.030" gasket). Be sure to use new bolts, since they are torque-to-yield and they need to stretch a pre-determined amount to seal properly.

A cam is the biggest determining factor in building performance in these motors, after getting the head to flow. There are a couple of overpriced regrinds available, but I would recommend getting on custom ground. Since you used the '95 PCM, you can use the cam from the '95 motor, since you don't need the cam position sensor (if you change to a newer PCM, you'll need the timing notch of a newer cam). I had Jones Cam Design regrind my cam, but any cam grinder can do it, since it uses the same lobe as the Small Block Chevy hydraulic roller cams. Bullet Cams has a number of lobe profile to choose from also. Be sure to let whomever grinds the cam know it uses a .700" roller wheel on the lifter, since some lobe profiles are not compatible with the smaller wheel. If you go with Jones, be sure to let him know the grind will need to be a little milder than what he did for me, since I've got a lot more mods done to my motor and and the 2200's design isn't sufficient to support quite as much as my motor. The heat treat on the cams won't allow for more than about .315"-.320" max lobe lift, but this comes out to about .512" valve lift max with a 1.6 rocker arm.

With a hotter cam, you'll need better valve springs. You can use Comp Cams 26981 valve springs (also available as a set of 8). These springs will handle all the lift the cam can produce with a 1.6 rocker arm. To use these springs, you'll need to machine the spring seats down .100". Finding a shop that has a 7mm pilot for the cutter proved a difficult chore, so shop your machine shops carefully.

You'll want to change over to a full roller rocker arm, that is adjustable. Read my thread "2.2/2200 OHV Rocker Arm List" for more information. (Also note Crane Cams went out of business, so disregard any thing about them.)

If you do change the cam, go ahead and replace the timing chain, to head off any future problems. Also changing the oil pump to the '93 & older pump (Melling M98 [not the HV]) will increase the pressure and provide a slight increase in volume to help handle the added stresses put on the motor.

This should be sufficient to get you started. The good thing is you won't have to be down for long, since you can do all the build work off the car and just do the install it all at once.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:51 AM
yeah I have another engine and can build everything then drop it in.
Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:38 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Quote:

Nickelin Dimer wrote:

Quote:

Hold-up a minute... I just remembered something critical that severely effects why your swap wouldn't work:

When the engine was redesigned for '98, the triggers on the crank-trigger wheel were advanced several degrees to cause the injectors firing time sooner to achieve better mileage. This alone will cause trouble for those that swap a 2200 into a 2.2L app, as the computer (unless it's been reprogrammed) will still think it's seeing signal from a pre-'98 crank. The result is the spark comes too-soon & the engine fights the resistance resulting from it.

BTW: You did use the ICM off the '95 engine with this swap... Right?

It won't keep it fropm running. I have done this swap. We put a 01 2200 in a 96 cavy. We used the 96 ECU, wiring harness, just adding the 2200 injector harness. Car is still running around on the 96 ECU.

I've seen the same thing with someone else. They swapped cranks from early to late notches design and the engine started and ran ok. I wonder if the "CASE Learn" variable can account for the difference?

-->Slow
Tuesday, June 09, 2009 11:09 PM
slowolej wrote:John Higgins wrote:
Quote:

Nickelin Dimer wrote:

Quote:

Hold-up a minute... I just remembered something critical that severely effects why your swap wouldn't work:

When the engine was redesigned for '98, the triggers on the crank-trigger wheel were advanced several degrees to cause the injectors firing time sooner to achieve better mileage. This alone will cause trouble for those that swap a 2200 into a 2.2L app, as the computer (unless it's been reprogrammed) will still think it's seeing signal from a pre-'98 crank. The result is the spark comes too-soon & the engine fights the resistance resulting from it.

BTW: You did use the ICM off the '95 engine with this swap... Right?

It won't keep it fropm running. I have done this swap. We put a 01 2200 in a 96 cavy. We used the 96 ECU, wiring harness, just adding the 2200 injector harness. Car is still running around on the 96 ECU.

I've seen the same thing with someone else. They swapped cranks from early to late notches design and the engine started and ran ok. I wonder if the "CASE Learn" variable can account for the difference?

-->Slow

Explain: CASE Learn.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, February 08, 2013 12:20 PM
Brought back from the dead! But by buddy has a spare 2200 motor and wiring harness for an auto from a 2000 sunfire. He can get his hands on a 1996 cavalier 5-speed 2.2 with a bad motor, and from what i read, it can be swapped in with a few 2000 connectors, fuel rail& injectors with connectors, coils and icm relocated, but will the 96 pcm send the 2200 motor the correct ammount of fuel? also, for the crank and cam sensors, do you just swap in 96crank and cam sensors in the 2200 motor? I really appreciate any help given.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:35 PM
It's more than just a difference in fuel maps... The differences between the '97 & '98 LN2s are so great, they might as well be two completely different engines. For example:

The clocking of the trigger-wheel--which is integrally-cast with the crankshaft (made as part of the crank when it was made)--is "advanced'" on the later version when compared to the earlier one. Same with the trigger-wheel on the camshaft... And merely swapping their related sensors--by model-years, respectively--won't make them work with a system programmed for a position otherwise.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:44 PM
Since this thread has already been resurrected ...what are the implications regarding the pass lock doing this swap? If I swap out the PCM and harness with the swap, will I also have to swap out the cluster as I believe this is where the pass lock info is stored on the 98>
Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:48 PM
Since back from the dead I figured I would add something. I know when we switched a 96 to a 97 we had to take the harness, computer, cluster, also had to change the coils backing plate (as in take the plate off one and switch the coils from the other coils around as the connectors on the older cavy didn't have the connectors. Forgot what the firing acronyms were. SFI and MFI or something? Been awhile sorry.
Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:15 PM
Chriscavy79 wrote:Since back from the dead I figured I would add something. I know when we switched a 96 to a 97 we had to take the harness, computer, cluster, also had to change the coils backing plate (as in take the plate off one and switch the coils from the other coils around as the connectors on the older cavy didn't have the connectors. Forgot what the firing acronyms were. SFI and MFI or something? Been awhile sorry.

I swapped a 96 motor into a 97 before. had to change the ICM(what your talking about behind the coils), im guessing you swapped the harness, and computer because you didnt swap the crankshaft position sensor instead. those were the 2 major things i had to change. also the cluster didnt need to be changed. i have a 97 z24 cluster in my 96 with the tu-tu motor base model. I put a 99z24 automatic cluster in my buddies 98 cavi 5-speed with the tu-tu as well. (we wanted a tach) lol

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:10 PM
Yeah we only did the cluster as we were racing and they required the cluster. Yeah I was talking about the ICM. Switched a bunch of sensors too.
Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:11 PM
and the harness and all that too we changed, along with computer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search