2.4 Crankshaft relearn - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2.4 Crankshaft relearn
Friday, April 06, 2012 4:50 PM
The PCM need to be taught the new CKP sensor, otherwise you will get false P0300 codes. The PCM will have about as much luck "relearning" the new CKP as it would having luck "relearning" a VIN number if its installed in another car...

Lets throw the word "Relearn" out the window and use the word "teach"

Let me ask you something... Have you ever worked for a Manufacturer (moreover the service department of ANY major dealer)?

Friday, April 06, 2012 6:03 PM
interesting... so should i gank the crank trigger out of the original 00 motor for my silver z out and install it in my 98 motor before i put it in?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Friday, April 06, 2012 6:17 PM
Interesting thing is I have done many motor swaps, never did this, never had a issue with the cars. I'm not sure this is needed,.

I do think Mike Davis should try this to rule it out.

FU Tuning

Friday, April 06, 2012 6:32 PM
i had the issue once... when switching from an aftermarket ckp to a GM CKP... after 3 ignition cycles i'd throw a P0300 and i had a P1336 code

Friday, April 06, 2012 8:08 PM
I had to replace my crank sensor after a crank no start issue finding the sensor bad after a ohm test. Put in my other crank sensor from my other 98 engine and started... Didn't do the relearn procedure. and runs fine.

Could be what Mystic02VA just said when switching different aftermarket cranks sensors with a gm stock original. They could easily be different ohms!!!
Friday, April 06, 2012 8:12 PM
Mike you could have confused the $*%$ out of it with 3 different sensor with different ohms and may be in need of this relearn Check the resistance of all sensors and see what they are.
Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:10 AM
The crank position relearn is needed sometimes. usually it comes up as a crank/cam correlation code, but not always. Really, any time the engine is torn down and rebuilt it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to do the relearn. I have had to do it several times on my own vehicles for various reasons. Did the relearn many times when i worked in the dealer.

Having to right tool to do this helps.

Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:07 AM
I'll be trying this soon when I get time.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, April 07, 2012 3:16 PM
mitdr774 wrote:The crank position relearn is needed sometimes. usually it comes up as a crank/cam correlation code, but not always. Really, any time the engine is torn down and rebuilt it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to do the relearn. I have had to do it several times on my own vehicles for various reasons. Did the relearn many times when i worked in the dealer.

Having to right tool to do this helps.
Yeszzir.... having access to a Tech II is epic!!!

Sunday, April 08, 2012 7:10 AM
I need to see if I can get my 32mb card updated. I am only good through about July 2007. Its a pain in the ass to find any dealer around here that is willing to even think about it. Apparently they all think that a Tech II in private hands means that it was stolen.

Sunday, April 08, 2012 2:46 PM
Wow, I saw the relearn in the manual, but personally never done it on any of the cars, I don't think you need to do it all the time but couldn't hurt

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:36 PM
i'm going to say that mystic's issue is the aftermaket part...
I have def swapped crank sensors at the GM dealer I work at as well as in my cavi, no problems, but maybe that aftermarket sensor did it. but going from a factory to another factory..no problems should arise....seriously we have done this to cars (as part of "procedure" what we say to avoid questions)-even though the car ran perfectly fine, I'm just saying don't get burnt haha, but if in your case you need it..... well then u need it
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:51 PM
After reading this I asked a friend who owns a shop and works on cars 24/7. He is certified beyond belief...trust me on this. Well his response was yes it is needed. The car will run without it however you will loose horsepower because it affects timing.

GMR has got nothing on this
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:12 PM
So buy a GM acdelco factory made oem crankshaft sensor to possibly avoid this relearn.
Friday, April 13, 2012 11:20 AM
No local dealer has one. And I was told they are probably discontinued by the dealer.

I'm in Hilton head now or I would have done this already.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:40 PM
So tried to do the case relearn with hptuners. It didn't change anything at all. It seems to run better below 2000 RPM but still didn't seem to work.

Trying to get whole of my buddy with his snap on scanner now.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:57 PM
you can't get your hands on a tech 2?

Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:02 PM
Nope. Tech 2 here are like gold because of all the emission testing here.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:15 PM
Where abouts in Ohio do you live?

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:26 AM
PM'ed you.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search