A new option for mounts...Delrin (FEELER) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A new option for mounts...Delrin (FEELER)
Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:52 PM
I have been working with Jeffie on the possibility of motor and transmission mount bushings made of delrin. I was mainly looking for a more solid option for my TTR upper mount thats worn out and figured why not do it all. These will most likely give a bit more vibration, but should plant the engine better and last longer than poly.

Basically I want to hear comments/ interest in these. They will be for 95-05 manual trans and TTR upper motor mounts(2.4 at least not sure on the other motors, would have to confirm).

Re: A new option for mounts...Delrin (FEELER)
Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:11 PM
Will these allow some flex when removing the engine/trans? I know I jack up the trans a bit to slide in the motor.

Scribed

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, December 03, 2010 6:22 AM
Not entirely sure on how much flex they will allow. It is a plastic product so it might not give enough to pivot like that (mainly the benefit of it). Worst case scenario you just unbolt the front mount so the back one can hinge.

Friday, December 03, 2010 7:39 PM
not so sure about flex.

delrin is not really a "memory" type plastic.

it is hard an slippery though, and will surly react like a solid mount.

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Friday, December 03, 2010 8:29 PM
Delrin doesn't have much in the way of give, think of a soapy plastic (thats the only way I can think to describe it...) So if you want to have solid mounts, why not run...solid mounts?

Id be more interested in Delrin control arm bushings.

Friday, December 03, 2010 8:47 PM
The reason for this option is to eliminate the poly bushings that are prematurely wearing and firm it up a little. They will still have less vibes than a solid mount and maintain most of the benefit. Not to mention this is a little more cost effective compared to making aluminum inserts or one-off mounts.

Saturday, December 04, 2010 6:22 AM
I am def interested for trans mounts!

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, December 04, 2010 7:55 AM
If you made one to replace the one in the TTR mount like said in your original post I would be in. I love my mount but I have seen pics of the bushings wearing out too often for my liking.

Saturday, December 04, 2010 8:21 AM
Id be interested in Eco Rk upper mount replacements....and maybe tranny
Sunday, December 05, 2010 6:28 AM
This could possibly become a GP in the near future, lets hear some more.....

Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:03 AM
no interest whatsoever.

Monday, December 06, 2010 3:46 PM
My question is there enough give in the Delrin to make it better than just using a solid mount? I mean if its going to be rock hard we might as well just make the mount solid and save the effort.

Monday, December 06, 2010 4:00 PM
Delrin is nice because it's easy as hell to machine. It would however create 99% of the NVH that an AL insert would. For the TTR upper and trans mounts a delrin donut with a poly insert between it and the steel sleeve would be ideal IMO.
Wednesday, December 08, 2010 5:31 AM
With a poly insert you are talking more money and higher possibility of wear. I am not worried about NVH, but from a cost/ access standpoint thats why delrin was chosen. These would not be for everyone as far as vibrations go, but for those of us who arent bothered by that its a good choice.

Wednesday, December 08, 2010 6:19 AM
If I had my TTR mount still, I would be all over this. The TTR poly does not hold up and causes the motor to sag. Delrin is a good choice for this because it does still have flex because its considered a bushings. Where as a solid mount would more than likely cause ghost knock. I think you got a good thing going here man. I'll pass the word.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Wednesday, December 08, 2010 6:30 PM
I'd be interested in one of the hockey pucks. I'm on my third TTR poly bushing replacement. I NEED something better.
Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:39 PM
Just seen this while looking for mounts for my GTI - Link

Quote:

made from machined Delrin for a complete race application. This mount is not for the faint of heart as it will add significant vibration in the cabin to all vehicles, while holding the engine securely in place transferring the maximum amount of power to the ground.

These are the only mounts I happened across that where machined from Delrin - I don't think these will be as forgiving as you expect them to be. Just my .02

Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:28 PM
Jack Jenkins wrote: I don't think these will be as forgiving as you expect them to be.

RedCavalac wrote: I am not worried about NVH, but from a cost/ access standpoint thats why delrin was chosen. These would not be for everyone as far as vibrations go, but for those of us who arent bothered by that its a good choice

I am not worried about being forgiving, I want to get the power to ground and to stop wearing out poly bushings.

Friday, December 10, 2010 4:58 AM
Fair enough! Enjoy

Monday, December 13, 2010 12:15 PM
Not interested either.
How hard is it to replace bushings or tranny mounts?
I'd rather have a little give so my ride can be fun to drive and not have to worry about constant vibes that would get old after awhile driving it.
Were it an all our race car dedicated to the track or road course, I'd be all over it but I spend more time in my car than just minutes at a time.
Streetable is unbeatable.

But good luck with this.
Subscribed.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, December 13, 2010 5:24 PM
Its not that they are that difficult to replace, its the frequency of which they need replaced.

Friday, December 17, 2010 7:18 AM
I could have sworn I posted in this already.

Anyway, after the holidays if interest is there I would like to run a GP on these.

We need to get a good number of people (15 or so) ready to buy to start a run on these.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, December 17, 2010 1:00 PM
Misnblu wrote:Not interested either.
How hard is it to replace bushings or tranny mounts?
I'd rather have a little give so my ride can be fun to drive and not have to worry about constant vibes that would get old after awhile driving it.
Were it an all our race car dedicated to the track or road course, I'd be all over it but I spend more time in my car than just minutes at a time.
Streetable is unbeatable.

But good luck with this.
Subscribed.

Blu, I am running Delrin on my car and the Vibs are not bad at all. The problem with the TTR mounts is that the durometer of the poly is not correct. Its no where near stiff enough to handle the load from the motor torquing. At first I can see the poly ones working well but after time mine was totally sagging. Not trying to persuade you into buying these just something maybe to research more. I think of all people you would really like these. Maybe you can be a tester, i have no idea just a though.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Friday, December 17, 2010 1:41 PM
Jeffie, I would love to test these for you after the holidays if you want. I have the RK sport style motor mounts, and things it would really benifit from delrin instead of poly.

Friday, December 17, 2010 5:25 PM
Mark, I'm pretty happy with my setup as it is. Very little vibes and more than enough stiffness to do the job it's supposed to do.
Maybe when I get the supercharger on the car I'll need something a bit stiffer but won't know until that time comes.
I'm not even sure if I've still got the TTR mount or not so I'll have to look.
We'll see how the testers like the delrin product and see what kind of reviews are going to follow.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search