Originially Posted March 2011: Anyone running E85?? - Page 4 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Anyone running E85??
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:40 AM
So quick question. There are if i remember correctly two high octane tables on my pcm. One is alcohal the other is gasoline. Its been a while since ive looked at these, but i thought they were for spark advance. Does anyone have any thought of what the engineers had in mind when they put these tables in? I assume it was for ethenal mixed fuel or possibly they had in mind flex fuel. This is from a 98 ecu

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:48 AM
brodycog wrote:So quick question. There are if i remember correctly two high octane tables on my pcm. One is alcohal the other is gasoline. Its been a while since ive looked at these, but i thought they were for spark advance. Does anyone have any thought of what the engineers had in mind when they put these tables in? I assume it was for ethenal mixed fuel or possibly they had in mind flex fuel. This is from a 98 ecu
Our PCM shares the same coding as S/T Platform... Some of those trucks had flexfuel (VIN 5 2200)... Even then, the tables that are needed to access those parameters are missing....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:51 AM
Do those trucks have hpt support and are the still alpha-n?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:51 AM
Plus we had some CNG cavaliers out there too, no?

Thats what I always assumed it was for.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:52 AM
I thought the cng cavaliers used a different pcm because the needed 8 injector drivers.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:04 AM
So are the parameters missing all together? Or possibly just not unlocked? Is it possible to flash the other pcms values over the top of our pcm, or just use the pcm from that truck you were talking about? Sorry for all the questions, i want to learn more about this.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:07 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:I thought the cng cavaliers used a different pcm because the needed 8 injector drivers.
I am not 100% sure about this... I have only seen a handfull of them, and never touched one past basic maintenance.... Now on the S Series, they do have a Fuel composition Sensor which talkes to the PCM and tells it which timing tables to use, but HPT does not have access to the fueling tables or the tables that tell it when to switch over....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:57 AM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:I thought the cng cavaliers used a different pcm because the needed 8 injector drivers.
I am not 100% sure about this... I have only seen a handfull of them, and never touched one past basic maintenance.... Now on the S Series, they do have a Fuel composition Sensor which talkes to the PCM and tells it which timing tables to use, but HPT does not have access to the fueling tables or the tables that tell it when to switch over....

Though theoretically it would do it on its own if set up properly. If its done in a manor that makes sense in the PCM it will use the same VE tables for all fuel blends and the only table it uses the fuel sensor on is on which chooses what value to use for stoich. Of course at this point I honestly expect that everything was done wrong on the pcm and that it was in fact designed by a team of ford engineers who were high.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:10 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote: Of course at this point I honestly expect that everything was done wrong on the pcm and that it was in fact designed by a team of ford engineers who were high.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:21 PM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:Our PCM shares the same coding as S/T Platform. Some of those trucks had flexfuel (VIN 5 2200)...

Yes... That was the code character, and they were available on the '00-'03 models built after December 1999. Going turbo with one of these seems quite lucrative.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:25 PM
unfortunately I just downloaded one of the tunes from those trucks. Looks exactly the same in hpt.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:19 PM
bringing this one back from the past here...cause Im curious. I have a bunch of friends with the Mazdaspeed3's converting and we were all talking about if I could go there. Talking about how big of a difference the swap itself has made for them. Apparently not without a lot of work and risk...correct? It has been a year...figured someone might have made a nice little "bolt on E85 application" jk

Guess its just 93octane and meth for me...

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:29 PM
yep i get the same crap from our local forum too. nobody gets that i simply cannot run E85 correctly. so 93 and meth for me too!

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Monday, October 22, 2012 12:43 AM
The only folks whom have what could essentially a "bolt-on" E85 conversion are the "traditionalists". It's in the form of a carb that's made of compatible materials & designed with metering suitable for the increased flow required when running E85. Since each app may require actually removing it & experimenting with jet sizes & accelerator-pump cams and what-not, t's definitely not for the "Plug-in a 'chip'" crowd. So unless you have a timing-light & you're willing to get your hands dirty....

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, October 22, 2012 2:07 PM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:The only folks whom have what could essentially a "bolt-on" E85 conversion are the "traditionalists". It's in the form of a carb that's made of compatible materials & designed with metering suitable for the increased flow required when running E85. Since each app may require actually removing it & experimenting with jet sizes & accelerator-pump cams and what-not, t's definitely not for the "Plug-in a 'chip'" crowd. So unless you have a timing-light & you're willing to get your hands dirty....

ummm what about all the evo's civics and supras running it no problem without a carb? Also, my truck runs it and gas both....

Monday, October 22, 2012 2:40 PM
Yeah I thought it basically just had to do with the computer...i just dont wanna swap mine out because I dont feel like dealing with rewiring my engine bay and resplicing all my customer setup for the blower.

I was just curious because for what is essentially a very simple upgrade (other than tuning), it has a huge benefit if you have E85 stations around you (which in SA we do).

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:50 PM
I don't keep track on the import crowd... As for your truck: Many vehicles come from the factory (depending on engine option) with a "flex-fuel" system installed, which includes all the parts in fuel-delivery system that are made of materials needed to be compatible with ethanol. I can't recall what the specific materials are... but odds are if your vehicle didn't come with an engine & system meant to run any serious percentage of ethanol (higher than 30 you need to install them. Otherwise, they'll just get eaten-up by corrosion fast than you would believe.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, October 22, 2012 7:54 PM
bolt on for cavaliers would be bigger injectors, line upgrades and tank/pump setup.... not much to swap to E85 besides the tuning...

i was more so saying... carbs are not the bolt on only option for converting to e85

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:57 AM
We need to make a sticky on how to install a stand alone.

We must start promoting more stand alones....hptuners tables has missing tables etc.

Ryan has shown to still get a good tune out of it but he doesnt respond to my pm's! Lol

Im going to just show up at ur shop one day with my cavy on a trailor

GMR has got nothing on this
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:00 AM
git on it Raf!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:28 PM
i dont understand the big deal about doing it to a cavalier, i recently picked up a 98 dodge neon r/t and did a little work to it, i went from running premium 91 one day then swapped the injectors and fuel pressure regulator and drained the gas tank, filled it with e85 and went driving the next day, it runs just as good now on e85 as it did on premium, ive noticed a loss in fuel economy and a slight increase in performance in high rpms

Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:28 AM
brodycog wrote:So quick question. There are if i remember correctly two high octane tables on my pcm. One is alcohal the other is gasoline. Its been a while since ive looked at these, but i thought they were for spark advance. Does anyone have any thought of what the engineers had in mind when they put these tables in? I assume it was for ethenal mixed fuel or possibly they had in mind flex fuel. This is from a 98 ecu
Our PCM shares the same coding as S/T Platform... Some of those trucks had flexfuel (VIN 5 2200)... Even then, the tables that are needed to access those parameters are missing....

And yes, they were also Alpha-N.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, October 28, 2012 10:40 AM
Nickelin Dimer wrote:

And yes, they were also Alpha-N.

Wait... Are the physical parameters thes same also? If so, it suddenly seems alot easier to add electric-fan control to my truck. I mean: I know it was shared with the Corvette, but now....

BTW, I just remembered something more that may help:

Certain trim-models of the swme engines we have here (the Ecotech turbo in the Saab) also use flex-fuel management. I'll leave the resto you to figure out.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:44 PM
Quote:

We need to make a sticky on how to install a stand alone.

Follow the standalones instructions.

Very few people with jbody's truly have a need for a standalone.

FU Tuning

Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:45 PM
Quote:

We must start promoting more stand alones

I think it is promoted when needed, few need it.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search