eagle H-beam problem. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
eagle H-beam problem.
Monday, June 04, 2012 3:31 PM
I installed my eagles on the crank torqued em done to 18+80* and checked for free movement of the crank by hand after every torque. I just finished torque'n down the rod on cylinder 2 and the crank wouldn't turn at all. Losened the rod a turn or so and it would move again. But under torque it seizes up the crank. Anyone know what it could be?

Re: eagle H-beam problem.
Monday, June 04, 2012 3:36 PM
check bearing clearance. are you using assembly lube?

Monday, June 04, 2012 6:31 PM
Make sure you put the cap back on the correct way and didn't spin it 180*?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:30 PM
plasti gauge is your friend.

FU Tuning

Monday, June 04, 2012 7:51 PM
what bearings did you get? you can get two different part numbers of clevite 77's for the LD9. one is for resized rods the other is for stock sized rods.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Monday, June 04, 2012 10:07 PM
I did use assembly lube. And I will check for clearance tomorrow. I ordered the stock size bearings but ill check to be sure.
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:14 AM
DSMskyline wrote:Make sure you put the cap back on the correct way and didn't spin it 180*?

180*?
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 7:28 AM
180*, Meaning turned the opposite way of which it was removed.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:05 PM
Is it a reman crank? If so its has to be atleast 10under.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:45 PM
The crank was inspected by my machine shop and passed. So its completly stock. Is there a chanffer on the rods? I would check but I'm not at my garage at the moment.
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:30 PM
NO. What did he measure? Did you check his measurments? Did you measure the rods? How did you fit the bearings in caps? There is a lot of factors here and people on this forum will help you but you need to give as much info as you possibly can.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 2:47 PM
I tried swapping bearing from a rod that spins freely and it still binds. I tried turning the rod around for that maybe-Ness. I'm going to try a different rod in that cylinder. Just in case. He did a visual inspection. I didn't want to pay for a full inspection and i didn't have a problem with it before.
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:49 PM
Is it alright for the crank not to turn by hand but with a ratchet it turns smoothly? Could it be because there's no oil circulating?
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 5:52 PM
Plasti gauge all the rods then take the cap bearing from the rod with the most clearance and swap it with the tight retorque it and recheck clearance. it should be about half what it was.

see ya!

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 6:43 PM
I swapped it with two other bearings. Same thing.. I'm still learning plasti-gauge but they were all in the ball park of chiltin.
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 6:50 PM
It was a pain in the ass to turn mine by hand, but if it turns freely with the ratchet and somewhat easily. Is that the case with yours?

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:24 PM
Yea exactly it. Word for word. Dis you have find any issues with that?
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 5:34 AM
ok, back up the truck....

now you should be checking the main bearing clearances as well. any crank i have every installed in an LD9 has spun freely by hand. will it spin easy as sin like a lightweight honda crank? no lol but it will spin by hand. now.. if you have the 2.3 oil pump on there then sure its going to be a bit more difficult but i doubt you have gotten that far yet.

anyways, check the mains too. cant hurt. also, always install one rod at a time, that way you can spin it over each time individually and see if that one is the one thats catching.

what are you using for assembly lube?

as for MARK's (hehe) statement.. if they ground it ".010" then its incorrect. our bearings only come in STD, .25mm, .55mm, and .75mm. mm is NOT SAE no matter how much the machine shop claims its close enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, June 06, 2012 5:35 AM

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:06 AM
After each rod install the crank got harder and harder to turn by hand. On the last one it wouldn't turn by hand. So i grabbed the pulley bolt with a ratchet and it would turn. Smoothly once it started. As for assembly lube I don't know off hand. I'll post up when I'm back in the garage. It was given to me by the machine shop. It's what they use when assembling there motors.
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:43 PM
Mine was the same as yours. Crank spun very freely by hand and progressively got more difficult as it added pistons and rods until hands couldn't do it alone. Feels very free with the ratchet on it. Also I know my bearings are right, my machinist measured while I was there and he ordered them as well as double checked everything.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:42 PM
So i should be good... Correct?

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:42 PM
someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't the Eagle rods come with ARP bolts, and if so are you supposed to do the +80* on them?

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:57 PM
Thats what my spec sheet shows on mine..I dont know if it makes a differance but mine is for an Eco..
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:59 PM
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:05 PM
Ecotec should be 43FT LBS 3/8 bolt LD9 has a 5/16 bolt so 28 FT LBS both are the ARP 2000 material

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search