3100,3400,3500 swap wiring? - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3100,3400,3500 swap wiring?
Friday, November 23, 2012 5:51 PM
Piggybacking sucks because sometimes you'll be fighting to have multiple sensor outputs for the same thing.

Example, on mine with 2 stock PCM's, both will need a VSS input. Have fun with that.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick

Friday, November 23, 2012 6:06 PM
Man you don't have to explain to me what all needs done to do an 00+ wiring swap, I did it. It was easy. But I'm going off of what mr. Quick told me. 3.4 harness with impala PCM is plug & play on 00+ according to him.
Friday, November 23, 2012 7:07 PM
Nobody was, they were explaining it to Shandall Hines up there.

BTW, wheres the pics/vids of yours?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:22 PM
You realise I'm piggybacked with no Speedo issues right? Not sure what issue u have but going off memory there is the 5 volt reference and output to the pcm. Where I have both hooked up and only mild issue was setting a code for I think the 5volt reference in the grand am computer. Where I just turned it of for now due to the Speedo working in my datalogs and Speedo working. So what is the deal with having fun? The only special thing I did was use a ls1 temp sensor. Then run one wire to stock pcm and the other two pins to the grand am pcm.
Tuesday, November 27, 2012 7:32 PM
I also never said swapping to a 2000 plus was hard. It isn't technically speaking easy either due the fact of what needs swapped over. Both has its pros and cons. But my opinion is if starting with a 99 below go piggyback. 00 plus plug and play it more less. The only reason the 99 below would change is if you have a 00 + car for parts for some reason then the time to tear two down and put together one. I would also guess he hasn't finished yet sho based on the going off word of plug and play. Through a progress thread would be nice.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:36 AM
I know he hasn't finished yet. I don't think he's even started yet.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:29 AM
Actually I have started, I'm getting everything together before I start taking mine apart. And I can only work on the weekends because I live at school and that's the only time I come home. Iv got my mounts trans and I'm picking up the engine and harness this weekend. Then I can Begin assembling.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:39 PM
jacob mahon wrote:Actually I have started, I'm getting everything together before I start taking mine apart. And I can only work on the weekends because I live at school and that's the only time I come home. Iv got my mounts trans and I'm picking up the engine and harness this weekend. Then I can Begin assembling.

jacob mahon wrote:Man you don't have to explain to me what all needs done to do an 00+ wiring swap, I did it. It was easy.

So which is it? You have, or you haven't?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:50 PM
If it were me, 2000+ do it right, whatever year the fuel sender goes strait to the fuel gauge, piggy back.

I had a 95 with a 3100 and it was much easier for me at the time to piggyback, using everything I already had. A conversion to 2000+ would have set me a lot further back time and money wise.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:47 PM
I meant i figured it out. Why do you care? Haha
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:43 PM
so thats y ur sellin ur top mount for the v6 swap right? oh ok

MP-62 Intercooled 2.9" Pulley

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:18 PM
Oedwards wrote:If it were me, 2000+ do it right, whatever year the fuel sender goes strait to the fuel gauge, piggy back.

I had a 95 with a 3100 and it was much easier for me at the time to piggyback, using everything I already had. A conversion to 2000+ would have set me a lot further back time and money wise.

That is what I was getting at, piggybacked is made to be harder then it is. Couple of grounds and hots. One wire from 3 wire temp sensor, hook both purple and yellow up to vss (Could likely use 1), Tap into 3400 oil pressure switch, Theft light take the cluster out and desolder the transistor or break the trace (Not a transistor but not sure the technical name, it is black and has three prongs where it switches to ground to enable the light, battery light I had hooked up adding the pin but the alternator went bad and never set (So now I pulled the wire out and light is on which needs the same mod as the theft light) and gas gauge will work as is. Only down fall is the no tach problem which I would like to know where the 2.4 grabs the tach signal as it isn't from the coil/icm. Unless I hooked the wires up wrong, where if I could get it to at least move I wanted to see how far it was off. Then if you don't want to get a tune to run it you need a bcm (My 05 bcm works with the 05 pcm and 02 malibu pcm fine) take the two wires that goes to key switch off the bcm and put a resistor in it. Do the key on for 15 mins after trying to start it to program the bcm to the resistor. Tap purple wire in under the dash coming from the obd2 plug of the grand am pcm. Give the bcm hot and ground and away you go. If you want ac you need to tap the green ac on wire off the bcm into the green wire on the back of the ac switch.

Tyler Wichers wrote:so thats y ur sellin ur top mount for the v6 swap right? oh ok

That is um funny if true, be far less v6er's

As for the vss issue sho what problem do you have or did have? As I would like to know what the have fun part is about to see if it is something I may be seeing.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:29 PM
I sold it because I got another one.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:40 PM
Why would you sell it and get another one? I assume you had the mount made by the member here where the only other option is to make your own. That or you were going with the nbody setup.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:41 PM
Yes I got a different one for free so I didn't need that one
Friday, November 30, 2012 6:30 AM
jacob mahon wrote:I meant i figured it out. Why do you care? Haha

I care because I don't think you should be handing out advice on how to do things when you haven't done them yourself.

2fast4u88 wrote:
Oedwards wrote:
As for the vss issue sho what problem do you have or did have? As I would like to know what the have fun part is about to see if it is something I may be seeing.

I've always had trouble trying to get 2 computers to read off of the same sensor if the sensor only has one output. One computer will get a correct or mostly correct reading, while the other one will be way way off. Or, both will get a bad reading and neither will be correct. First time I had that problem was with a CTS, but when I swapped to the 3 wire the problem obviously went away. But they don't have VSS's with the extra output, so that leaves me with 1 ECU not getting to read VSS.

Friday, November 30, 2012 6:46 AM
No I was passing on advice from someone who has done this and it's called helping. You wouldn't know much about it.
Friday, November 30, 2012 9:01 PM
Geee lol.... Sho I don't have that at all. I've had the gauge cluster apart to make a true blue led cluster. Where the needle never has been clear right. But my gauge is off by 2-3 down around 40 below. Then above that is goes from 4 to right around 5mph. Grand am pcm is nearly dead on in logs with gps and follows the same sweep as the cluster. So not really sure why I don't have the issue.
Friday, November 30, 2012 9:40 PM
So what cars specs did you use to torque the flywheel an clutch down?
Saturday, December 01, 2012 4:57 AM
jacob mahon wrote:No I was passing on advice from someone who has done this and it's called helping. You wouldn't know much about it.

Think of me kinda like Jesus. I'll help you out, but I won't do it for you. So if you'd rather not use the search function and find the tons of information that we have posted about all of this and do a lil something for yourself, then you have to go. So yeah, I would know much about helping. Helping is when you've had to go out and search all over tons of sites to find a small piece of info, then when you do your swap you post it here (possibly in a sticky) so that others can easily find it. Disappointment is finding out later down the road that others aren't smart enough to find stickys.

2fast4u88 wrote:Geee lol.... Sho I don't have that at all. I've had the gauge cluster apart to make a true blue led cluster. Where the needle never has been clear right. But my gauge is off by 2-3 down around 40 below. Then above that is goes from 4 to right around 5mph. Grand am pcm is nearly dead on in logs with gps and follows the same sweep as the cluster. So not really sure why I don't have the issue.

Hmm. I wish I was having that luck. I don't really need the VSS anymore since I have the Megasquirt unit, and it doesn't care. But it would be nice to be able to get both computers in my car to pick up the signal from the ICM. Getting my tach to move will be nice, whether or not it's right. Then I can go from there to get the accuracy down. And it'll be a nice, all stock look.

Saturday, December 01, 2012 6:01 AM
We'll put of pure curtsy to other people in not arguing on here. But could someone told me what Alex's the torqued the flywheel/clutch too? Did they use the 2.2 specs?

Sunday, December 02, 2012 9:16 AM
Dude I think you should give up asking questions this has been covered so many times someone could write a book and hit you with it just for no using the search and no showing respect to members who have been there done that. Plus......v6 over rated your still going to be slow.....

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Sunday, December 02, 2012 9:36 AM
First of all I have read every thread about the swap but I do not recall anyone mentioning that. And when did I ever say I was trying to be fast? Why do you feel like being an Internet dick, nothing better to do?
Sunday, December 02, 2012 12:10 PM
Not all v6 swappers are slow! Take it back! Hahahah. So much hate in this thread! Yikes!

Sunday, December 02, 2012 12:38 PM
2fast4u88 - Do you have both PCM's hooked to the ICM by chance to give both of them a tach signal?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search