Simple question needs simple answer... cams. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Simple question needs simple answer... cams.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:01 PM
Will the 'secret cams' from quad 4s fit in an l61? I think no, because of the power steering pump.

If not, the only options are gm performance, or comp cams... correct?

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/

Re: Simple question needs simple answer... cams.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:16 PM
Secret cams and any quad based cams will in no way fit an ecotec motor. I do not have a list of eco cams since I do not play in that pond.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:30 PM
^^

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:04 PM
There are several Eco options; Comp Cams, ZZP, JBP (though I hear their customer service is horrible), and I know Colt Cams will still grind for the Eco, though they don't advertize it their site (they made the LZM tri-flows). I'm sure their are others, they're just not coming to mind right now. There are also the option of custom grinds, and I know Colt Cams and Delta Cams will make eco grinds. And of course the GM Racing cams, though they are extreme high lift cam...at least for an Eco (in the grand scheme of things, our "big" cams are relatively mild compared to other platforms. The GMR's from what I hear require solid lifters...not 100% positive though.

What are your power goals and where in the power band do you want the gain from the cams (which will help determine what size to go with)? I have a set of Comp Stage 3's I'd like to get rid of if you're interested. PM me if you want details.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:56 PM
^^^^^Thanks!

EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:There are several Eco options; Comp Cams, ZZP, JBP (though I hear their customer service is horrible), and I know Colt Cams will still grind for the Eco, though they don't advertize it their site (they made the LZM tri-flows). I'm sure their are others, they're just not coming to mind right now. There are also the option of custom grinds, and I know Colt Cams and Delta Cams will make eco grinds. And of course the GM Racing cams, though they are extreme high lift cam...at least for an Eco (in the grand scheme of things, our "big" cams are relatively mild compared to other platforms. The GMR's from what I hear require solid lifters...not 100% positive though.

What are your power goals and where in the power band do you want the gain from the cams (which will help determine what size to go with)? I have a set of Comp Stage 3's I'd like to get rid of if you're interested. PM me if you want details.

Stage 3 may be a little too rough for me, I think you're asking $350 and I'm looking for a $200 or less solution.

My power goals are open ended, but I do know that I'm running weisco pistons .020 over 8.9:1, eagle rods, and a copper head gasket, also a fabbed log style 4 runner intake. I plan on doing a direct port nitrous setup with goals of running a 150 shot. Looking for some sort of cams that can help me increase power so I have the option of running a 75-100 shot, while making the same HP as a 150 shot. Also something that will not f-up when i tinker with jetting, and that will support a 150 shot.

I think a custom grind may be the way to go, but I'm not %100 sure. I don't want to upgrade my springs/lifters really. Tuning shouldn't be a problem, a MS2 v3.0 board is in my near future.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:12 PM
Id check out Colt if you're thinking of a custom grind, but expect to pay more in the $350 range. Unless you find a good deal on used ones, you probably won't find a good off the shelf or custom grind for $200. Comp and JBP are in the $400-450 neighborhood, and ZZP is more I think.
I had talked to Geoff at Colt a few months back about the tri-flow cam they used to make, and he was willing to still grind it. They supposedly have great mid range power, and claim to not have idle/coast down issues. I think he quoted me around $360 shipped (and it was like $20 to ship him stock cams to regrind).
The stage 3's make power from 3500-8000, and from my understanding really ramp up in the 5500 range, so if you're looking at something for good mid range power, Id suggest the Colt triflows. I have Geoff's number around somewhere if you want it

Saturday, July 14, 2012 7:57 PM
A custom grind for $350 doesn't sound that bad. Especially since they're not stage 3's I'll still take the exhaust one lol

I'm going to sit for a little while hoping for a deal on a used grind, but I checked out colt cams and they seem pretty legit.

Yeah, PM me his number, I'd rather talk to him in person then talking to the mainline. Hopefully I can get a deal ahahah

Thanks for the help man.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 8:23 PM
I don't know too much about the eco cams but from what I have read you need to keep mild if your keeping stock springs. Also as said above it'll be hard to find used cams for the $200 mark. I also just feel the need to say that the only thing the secret cams you were asking about and eco cams have in common are that they actually do share the same power steering pump haha.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:54 AM
If you change to anything more aggressive than stage 1, you will need to swap springs. Stock springs can handle stage 1s and stock cams. You will have to pay to play... being cheap won't make your setup fast or reliable.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search